The following equipment is nearing replacement:
Swim
  • 48m 04s
  • 2112.00 yards
  • 02m 17s /100 yards

Uphill swim - seriously! We swam against the current for about the first 500 or so. I was so excited to turn around, but then it wasn't any better. Doug and Kirk said it had to do with the wind today, pushing the water back against us when we were with the current. I actually started sighting the shore to be sure I was actually making forward progress at one point. The waves were choppy, so I was rolling pretty far to take my breaths.

Bike
  • 3h 35m 13s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 15.61 Mi/hr

Wow - this was a hard ride.

Big technical issues started things off. As I started riding, no watts, time, NOTHING! Decided a big point of this ride was to test riding at a particular watt zone, so I needed this to work. Pulled over and checking the sensor pairing - everything was gone. No powertaps, HR, nothing - WHAT?! Did a quick pair with the PT, thought I set the wheel circumference close to my size, and then took off. Not sure how many minutes here - hopefully no more than 2-3. All my data screens were back to default - so nothing was in the right spot. Did have watts on the screen, so just used that. Tried to play around while I was riding and get the normalized power to display, but it was too much to get it to work. Got it to MPH/Distance and it was all way off (at the end of the race, I found that I hadn't set the wheel circumference right - guess I was too much in a rush).

Back to the ride. It was tough - one of the hardest rides I've done. Based on data, I was in my target range, so that was a success. That had no water at 2 out of 3 the water stops - didn't run out, but it was REALLY close. Nutrition was otherwise spot-on. It was hard, but I let everyone ride by me and did my own thing. I kept reminding myself if I want to ride faster in races, I need to work in training to raise my FTP. :)

Run
  • 1h 57m 26s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 08m 58s /Mi

Started out faster than planned, but I never fell apart - yeah! The run was tough - some good flats, but some killer climbs (of course). Short steep climbs and long slow grades. At least it wasn't as bad as the bike and I was able to hold it together. I did walk up a few of the big hills (keeping my breathing in check) and stopped to refill my hand bottle a few times. I think if I did a partial refill at most aid stations, I wouldn't need to stop and do a full refill. Happy to be done.

I have to admit, I'm nervous about the race this weekend!
Run
  • 42m 20s
  • 4.50 miles
  • 09m 25s /Mi

Run Club - another good turnout. It was HOT, and with a race this weekend, we shortened the planned run a little more.

Plans are coming together for IM Austria & surrounding vacation. All the pre-race through race hotels are booked, bike transport back home is booked, and requests for all other hotels are out. Just need to nail down the lodging for the last two stops & all the reservation-y stuff will be complete. Then I just need to plan what we're going to actually do in each place!

Can't believe the race is under 8 weeks away - wow.

Run
  • 36m 42s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m 11s /Mi

AM Run before work - breaking in new shoes for this weekend and trying out a hand bottle. Still not sure if I like the hand bottle, but I'll try it again tomorrow night and decide if I'll use it this weekend.

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 18.50 miles
  • -----

Need to confirm the distance from my Joule tonight.

Swim
  • 1h 20m
  • 3300.00 yards
  • 02m 25s /100 yards

Good swim this morning - nothing spectacular, but felt good in the water. After some thought - I think this is my only Masters swim for the week, since I'm racing this weekend.

200 Swim
8 x 50 Kick/Swim
100 Kick/Drill/Swim/Kick

5 x 100 @ 1:55
4 x 400 (1: Pull; 2-4 Swim) @ 8:00

100 Easy
12 x 25 (Breathing: 4 breaths, 3 breaths, 2 breaths, 1 breath)

100 Easy

This is oneof the those weeks that I'm drastically changing the Ironman plan I've been loosely following. I want a decent taper for Knoxville, so I can have a chance for a decent time and see how my fitness is for long-course. I haven't done a real half ironman in a LONG time (notice my PR is from 2008), so this should be interesting.

This week's training
:

Mon - Swim 
Tue - 4M Run + 1:00 Bike
Wed - 6M Run
Thu - Off
Fri - :45 Bike/1.5
Sat - Quick Wetsuit Swim
Sun - Rev3 Knoxville

hblackmon's Training Log

May 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat