Swim
  • 50m
  • 1500.00 meters
  • -----

Nice little swimmy swim.
Some kick sets that didn't make me happy.
Got it done.
Calf is sore. I did bruise it.

I have to go to work. Need I say more?

Oh and I think I bruised my right calf in trying to massage the shin splint out of it. I think I need to take a well-deserved break from running this week.

• Health data: Sick: 3 Hours slept: 8
Run
  • 1h 20m
  • 13.00 kms
  • -----

Personal Best Pace work at the Field House with the Ironman. Bloody Fast felt strong, Two water breaks. averaged 77 seconds per lap. After 40 minutes started feeling very fast, as if I could go forever and started doing 68 seconds per lap. Great run, fastest ever indoor work over that distance, fast ever 10 k!

55.20 @ 11k 5.03 pace
total time includes Machs and warm up and cool down laps.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 45m

Good Stretch followed by hot tub jet stuff

Needed that sleep! Had a great night with friends last night. At a lot of very rich, East Indian food {edit: That the First Wife lovingly made} and some good wine.

I'm much better now. I'm still not sure about this run I have to do, though.

Quite stiff from yesterday's ride and Brendan's shenanigans on Friday.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Bike
  • 1h 35m
  • 46.00 kms
  • -----

That was hard. Half of "shoot me in the head" or something Spinnervals. We started at the second half, so it was already at the tough stuff - one minute stand ups...had trouble getting my cadence up. But I'm told all men have this trouble once in a while.

Sweated like Niagara. Good workout, better when it was done!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

stretching after spin

Uggggg. I'm sore all over.

That's what I get for making smart ass media comments.

Cycling this morning...I really look forward to this - all except touching my frozen metal trainer that I put in the car last night to save time. Hell, it is only -17 (-29) with the windchill. Maybe I should try licking it...come on, it would be fun!

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5
Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 1100.00 meters
  • -----

Did a long warm up, some kicks and backstroke. Then we played games with balls. I'm a lot better at swimming (waterpolo style) with a ball in front of me than I thought.

Strength
  • 1h 05m

Great workout. Lots of core, upper body and some treadmill work. Felt strong and fast. Shin splint on my right leg still giving me some grief. Starcorp says I should cut back a bit on the consecutive runs, maybe I should just take more naps!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 15m

massaged and rolled my sore shin

Good news, I confirmed today that I didn't cancel Christmas...Read all about it from the local paper.

Christmas can still be Christmas in schools

Karen Brownlee
Leader-Post

Christmas is still being celebrated in some schools.
CREDIT: CanWest
Christmas is still being celebrated in some schools.

Christmas still has a place in many public schools in southern Saskatchewan as communities decide what is appropriate for the people who live there.

School divisions contacted by the Leader-Post said it is left up to communities and schools to decide how and if they want to celebrate at this time of year.

While they didn't have numbers, spokespeople said that many choose to recognize Christmas -- some in a religious way and others secularly -- while a smaller number bring in elements of other cultures and faiths. Still others choose to focus just on the winter season.

Public schools are to be inclusive of all cultures and faiths, said Terry Lazarou, spokesman for Regina Public Schools.

Each school community council and the principal of the school work together to decide what it is that their community wants and expects.

A whole range of plays, concerts and other performances have been held at the 57 public schools in Regina. Lazarou didn't have details about what type of events happened in which areas of the city.

"There is this perception that Christmas doesn't have a place in public schools," said Lazarou. "We don't cancel Christmas. We include it if it's appropriate."

Concerts at the local school are a tradition in Saskatchewan, said Don Rempel, director of education for the South East Cornerstone School Division.

He believes it would likely to be more offensive to those in his area of the province to have no celebrations during the Christmas season in local schools.

"Having a concert has always been a good opportunity to bring grandparents and parents into the school at this time of year for a production planned and put on by the little ones," said Rempel, who oversees more than 40 schools.

Even in smaller cities, such as Estevan and Weyburn, there can be a difference from one neighbourhood to the next in what is considered an appropriate holiday season event.

Some productions will have a religious focus and even include Jesus, while others will stay more secular.

In the other corner of the province, Rebecca Chynoweth of the Chinook School Division said, generally speaking, Christmas is celebrated in the more than 60 schools in Swift Current and the surrounding area.

Carols and holiday songs are sung and a variety of themes are chosen. Some may incorporate songs from other cultures and faiths, but Christmas songs are expected at and performed by most of the schools.

As the Swift Current region welcomes more families, changes may occur, Chynoweth said, but for now Christmas is celebrated by most.

"As there is more of an influx and more diversity, it may come up and we may have to adjust," Chynoweth said.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Here we go again. It's Brendan day. As much as I'm looking forward to it, I just want to go back to bed. Rest days always kick me in the head.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Rest day! I stayed in bed 'till 6:30 and actually made a big breakfast....hmmm, I could get used to this.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 58m
  • 26.00 kms
  • -----

Okay, up and over Richter Pass on the Penticton Real Rides DVD.
Felt kinda crappy at first but got my legs back in a hurry.

Nice way to start the morning.

Took the wrong HRM belt. I was working pretty hard, I'm guessing in the 140s.

Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 5.00 kms
  • -----

Track workout. Felt tired and had no energy, but had the desire to get it done. Got it done!
4 X 800
3:30
3:35
3:37
3:40

Hit max HR on first set. All Z4.

Swim
  • 30m
  • 900.00 meters
  • -----

Damn boss and his 1 p.m meetings, had to cut the swim short!

Was fast, though and had good form!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

Sore calf, stretching after run.

Had nothing this morning. But finished my three-for!

I got nothing.

• Health data: Hours slept: 5.5
Run
  • 1h 24m
  • 12.59 kms
  • 06m 40s /KM

Freakin' cold 6 a.m. run. It was really dark. I felt like turning back a few times.
My body was giving me all these conflicting signals such as "you are going to collapse and die alone, in the cold and dogs will dine on your fleshy bits". But I overcame those thoughts and very real body sensations. I also avoided the urge to walk, because it was so cold (-18c, -24c with windchill) that I would have risked getting a serious chill.So I only walked briefly at the 6 k turnaround on the Devonian (RCMP) and on the bouncy footbridge 800 metres from home. No food, no beverage, not a single luxury.

Great run after I fought of the demons. Felt strong, capable and able to do anything!
It was mostly a Z2/Z3 run, although I sprinted a few times, when that smile came on my face.

1314 Cal.
Great run...It was kinda funny showing up at the front door after everyone was dressed and first wife saying where have you been...the running gear, proved that I had actually been home that night, that and the coffee in the thermal mug I left at her bedside at 5:30 a.m. I'm such a suck!

Why is it we do this constant and repetitive waking up nonsense.

I suppose because the alternative is a non-starter.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

windnsnow's Training Log

December 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance
  • August's totals