Bike
  • 38m 05s
  • 20.00 kms
  • 31.51 KM/hr

Fast Fast Fast! Bike computer pace was 33.3!

Best race ride of my life!
HRM not working.

Run
  • 34m 35s
  • 5.00 kms
  • 06m 34s /KM

Lots of the run uphill. Never stopped running expect to hydrate once at aid station at halfway point. Could have gone a little faster. No regrets, pleased with performance.
HRM not working!

Swim
  • 11m 37s
  • 750.00 meters
  • 01m 33s /100 meters

Course was about 150 m short so real time should have been about 14:37

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

Stretching while watching TV

Post race...official numbers coming.

Personal best - 18 minutes faster than last year....Mind you the swim was apparently 150 m shorter than last year - which explains my time of about 13 minutes. Bike was fast...really fast...33.3k/hr avg.

Unnofficial total 1:24:16 Last year: 1:42:47

swim: 11:37 m. (add 2 min? for to accommodate for shorter distance) Last year: 23:38

bike 38:05 Last year: 42:21

Run 34:35 Last year: 36:49

So I guess I improved....what a pleasant personal best!

Now for the interesting race facts.

I got dive bombed by a pelican while swimming...I thought it was a big gull, but it was a freakin' huge pelican...with big teeth...okay, no teeth, but a big beak.

I momentarily lost my goggles. Turns out I had left then in the folded over part of my wet suit and zipped up with them still there. They looked like two too-high, rigid testicles...I had to unzip and had a friendly woman go down my top and grab them...Note to single people and leches...this could be the best ever tri pick up line!

4:30 a.m.

Crack of stupid? This is what I'm talking about. It's showtime! Now it's really time to make the donuts and perhaps sample one or two.

• Health data: Hours slept: 5

One day more. I'm really up for this.

I'm all recharged and rested. I've filled up the "family time" bank account.

I can't wait to hit the water at "rhymes with fun" Beach tomorrow!

• Health data: Hours slept: 9
Strength
  • 1h 00m

Easy core and stability prerace work with Brendan.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 15m

after workout stretch on rollers

It must be a law of nature.

On the first morning that I cannot sleep in, and yet still require lots of sleep, She-who-must-be-obeyed, gets home real, real late (single digit late) and then needs to talk...I should be flattered I guess that I am still early morning talkworthy.

Still I am tired for my morning class! This must be my Karma payback? Mind you, I did find some credit cards on the bike path yesterday, looked up the name, called her and she picked them up...everything counts in small amounts.

• Health data: Hours slept: 4
Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 19.00 kms
  • -----

Easy ride on bike path with first born. Nice gentle pace (sort of) went on the bmx path for a couple of loops.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

stretching after bike ride.

So I walk up to the guy holding the penguin and say: "If that's your ID, what's your passport, a llama?"

OMG, this tapering is killing me, I'm completely out of good material! Knee is almost back online...was going to go for a ride this morning, but didn't want to risk anything.

I'm really looking forward to the two OWSwims coming up. Image credit: http://www.nataliedee.com/

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

Stretched out the creeks and the knee.

Afternoon Update.

Due to popular demand, I'm making some mid day comments.

As this is a quasi taper week, I went to a local biker (the hog variety) bar that has really good lunches. I've never been there on Wednesday. As it turns out, Wednesdays are "Lingerie Lunches". Fortunately it was only the waitresses that wore some somewhat provocative outfits. The cook thankfully did not have any bare appendiges anywhere near the food.

The visual entertainment slaked a number of thirsts, as did the aural entertainment - one particular waitress whom I know well, was particularly chatty and interested in sitting and chatting with my dining partner and I. We talked about whether or not flannel would be introduced into the winter wednesday wardrobe (the other www!)

Sadly, my order was messed up (by the cook - and for the first time ever), so I am now eating my (now take-out) food at my desk...I ordered veggie and got bacon pizza.

At this biker bar, one doesn't complain. But the management made it right and worth my while. So all is good.

Every taper day should be this kind of adventure!

6:45 am

After careful and considerate deliberation, I decided to wake up. I then polled the jury for some guidance on the issue of rolling out of bed. It was determined that it would be advantageous to rise and report. Thusly, I find myself here.

Can you tell that the tapering is getting to me again? Knee is a little better, but still not right. Stretching and swimming last night helped.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 1800.00 meters
  • -----

OWS Did about 750 as warm up then some mass start stuff and swimming in packs then more laps then some cool down.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

Stretching out the knee after the swim when I got home.

What's over rested, stiff and sore and has a funny knee?

Well, I don't know what to call it, but it's what I've become!

DAY I of taper. I think I might do an OWS tonight....Nobody tell the first wife I'm tapering, she just thinks I'm working more on family balance.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 3h 15m

weeded and tilled the garden, cut down some tree branches, planted a whole bunch of things and sweated a lot. 30 c!

Family Day.

Spent the morning after waking up late doing all sorts of gardening and yard work.

Will spend the afternoon grocery shopping.

Felt good to reconnect with the family.

• Health data: Hours slept: 10

windnsnow's Training Log

July 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Time
Distance