Bike
  • 58m 08s
  • 26.00 kms
  • 26.83 KM/hr

Fairly leisurely ride out to weigh station and back. Felt good to be on dirty girl. Legs feel much better. Got out late because I was waiting to dawn to break...it was dark! Cold too, I had tights, winter booties, winter mits, polar jersey and velux top...brrrr.
Good, ride to get the cobwebs out.

Ridiculous HRM (Timex) shot up to 240 again! I'm not counting it. Most of my ride was in Z2-3 and I did Z4 for maybe a minute.

Swim
  • 50m
  • 1300.00 meters
  • -----

I can't count and swim while I'm in the middle of changing my entire technique!
600 wu (technique, kick)
400 decending
300 decending.
This is all new language to me.
My technique is coming around, but my breathing is in the crapper right now.

By the way, I broke 2,000 kilometres on my cyclocomputer today.Hooray!

Somewhere coming back from the the weigh station. I had a big swig of water and patted myself on the back...Next year I'll have a better sense of what my real total mileage (all three bikes) will be...Of course there is all the spinning too, which I don't cound.

So I bought these bib tights at IMC for a really good price and I'm dying to try them out.

It's 6 degrees (of separation?) out there. I might just take the dirty girl for a spin. She needs to air out a bit, it has been so very long. Let's see if I can get out of the house!!

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Hours slept: 6
Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • -----
  • -----

First one on one with Jason. Lots of side swimming drills, lots of on deck stuff and it was all filmed. One thing for sure, I gotta shave my back!

Great lesson. I was wearing flippers and when I took them off I could barely move! hmmmmpf!

I think this is going to go well, if he doesn't make me do too many things at once!

A couple of quiet, pensive moments today on 9/11

I must have worked hard on Sunday. I'm still sore. Very sore. Legs and lower back are tight. I should have had a massage.

My first swim lesson is with Jason today. He's already started breaking down my style. He had me breathe every 4th breath instead of 2. I got so messed up that I couldn't count my strokes. Lets' see what excitement he has planned for me - I think today is video day. I'm ready for my closeup Mr. Demille.

I've also posted my goals. Keep in mind that these are in progress until I nail them down.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Soreness: 1 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8
Swim
  • 50m
  • 1200.00 meters
  • -----

Masters' class with Jason. He has started to change my breathing and stroke. He has made me breathe every 4 strokes, not two and push down at the end of the stroke - a lot like Starcorp is always going on about.
Jason also wouldn't shut up about the improvements made by trisportnick! Although personally, I wouldn't want anyone talking about my stroke.

I see potential for some real learning here. My breathing is better, but I'm so focused that I can't count my strokes...I'm sure I'm around 20, but I'm counting something like 45....
It felt good on the sore muscles to be in the water!
lap count is a guess.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

Trying to stretch this pain out of my legs and lower back.

Some new race photogs are up on my album and my race report

It's a little bit funny.

All the goals I put up, I put them up sometime in January and I never changed them...except maybe adding the half-ironman that I wasn't supposed to do till next year.

As it turns out, in addition, I completed every goal. This is either good planning or luck. Probably both. I didn't do any duathlon, though (although I did do an aquathlon) There just were not any that were held near here - there is an off road one at the end of the month, but I'm volunteering for that.

Anyway. I'm going to take a good hard, long look at these goals and marvel that they were all achieved. In the next few days, they are all coming down and some new, perhaps more concise stuff, is going up.

Oh yeah, and I'm really, really sore. My calves are killing me and the rest of me is just generally grumpy. But I had a good sleep!

• Health data: Soreness: 1 Hours slept: 8
Run
  • 2h 19m 24s
  • 21.68 kms
  • 06m 26s /KM

Queen City Half Marathon
Felt good and strong started a little fast, but kept consistent.
Got a little lazy near the end and felt like I had to walk and did briefly. Sprinted last 750 and full out last 250 hitting top speed of 16 kph. and pace of 3:45...obviously I didn't need to walk...I had lots in reserve.

Had ipod in different place and I still got an initial HRM reading of 220 and then 4 spikes at about 220 for no reason...I don't think I was even running quickly...Maybe it is my heart!!! I'm ignoring anything over for the max below.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

Stretching while watching Port McQuarrie Ironman on TV.

Post race update...

Race Report is Up!

Okay, personal best...thanks to all who got me here. I started to whimp out with 3k to go and walked a spell, but I kicked my own @ss and started running and sprinted the last 750m...thanks for al the support gang...

Average Pace 6:25 so way bettered my previous 7-plus minutes per K

2:19:26...Previous was 2:35 or something....

Chip time 2:17:24!

Here we go!

One more annoying race to go and then the fun training begins. Can't wait.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

Okay. Last day of lallygagging  around.

Tomorrow I run, then I start back into some kind of training routine. I'm kinda excited. I'm kinda anxious.

Woke this morning to no water. It seems the Water Main down the street is broken.

That's one advantage to swimming...You shower a lot...So I won't be completely offensive...at least until I open my mouth to speak. 

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • -----
  • -----

Second Masters' swim class. Coach was there today. Did some really easy flotation and gliding drills...I almost drowned, but drank lots of water so I'm well hydrated for Saturday. Too few laps to bother counting.

Stroke count was 22.

Decided to sleep in till 6:30 this morning. Even though my eyes rolled open at five. Some swimmy swim today, a couple of k pre-race tomorrow. Half Mary on Sunday, and then my whole new world of training opens up in front of me.

And boy is it chilly in Minsk!

And for the record, the QCM race package sucks! Or does it blow? A coupon for two4one (medium!) coffee - at a pretty good place, mind you; a dentist's business card (nice packaging though-very urbaine, but a bit jejune); some regular strength Tylenol (come on, regular strength? - this isn't croquet!); and two Goody hairband/scrunchie things...Now those I can use!

Run
  • 22m 40s
  • 4.00 kms
  • 05m 40s /KM

Did a quick "taper" run. Again with the crazy HR. I was at 240 and way above 100% for 7 minutes. I tried to keep it in Z3, but I got distracted by the high HR at the beginning of the run. I didn't feel any more or less out of breath, couldn't feel any thumping...It must be electrical...Hey maybe it is my ipod. I'll try that next time.

That's it! No more early rising for me...I think I'll just sleep my way to IMC.

Early rising no good for the heart: study

Generations have praised the wisdom of getting up early in the morning, but a Japanese study says early-risers are actually at a higher risk of developing heart problems.

The study, conducted by researchers from several universities and hospitals in the western Japanese city of Kyoto, revealed a link between wake-up times and a person's cardiovascular condition.

"Rising early to go to work or exercise might not be beneficial to health, but rather a risk for vascular diseases," said an abstract of the study.

The study, covering 3,017 healthy adults aged between 23 through 90, found that early risers had a greater risk of heart conditions including hypertension and of having strokes.

However, the study also noted that early risers were usually older.

The study is being presented this week at the World Congress of the World Federation of Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine Societies, being held in Cairns, Australia.

A separate study released in June by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania found that chronic sleep deprivation adds stress to the heart, putting a person at greater risk of cardiovascular disease and death.

Today is the next day in the rest of my life.

I thought I would try getting up and out at crack of stupid just to get a feel for what I'm going to be doing for the next 300 plus days.

It is still dark out. It is still dark in.

I might as well just start a landslide in my ego...will I follow?

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

windnsnow's Training Log

September 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Time
Distance
  • August's totals
  • July's totals