Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 1h 00m

Cutting down the forests on my lawns.

And so begins Taper Week. Maybe with a little bit of getting back into swimming thrown in. Starcorp is making me go for coffee. More at six!

Run
  • 1h 44m 38s
  • 16.00 kms
  • 06m 32s /KM

Rick almost killed me. He was biking home after his run so I ran beside him for about 4 k at the beginning of my run on the Devonian. I never talk or go at that fast pace, so when he went on his way I was toast. Still I dug deep - I did walk a bit more, but I was only expecting to do about 10. I actually did about 18, but that extra two was walking and I didn't count it. Felt pretty good, except near the end, when I started to fade.
Nutrition one PowerGel and one bottle of Gatorade.

Never hit my usual 240 hr, but I also had some trouble staying out of Z4.

Now I start thinking about a mini taper - other than the swimming all week.

It's a lazy Sunday, just lying in bed trying not to pay attention to Coronation Street fills the room. Birthday "party" for first born. We'll be playing pool...too bad it's not swimming laps in a pool. Oh, well, that may come.

I have to find some time this morning to run a little today and maybe cut the grass.

Bike
  • 2h 14m 12s
  • 60.00 kms
  • 26.83 KM/hr

Oh how I love the wind! Had a longish reunion with the dirty girl and rode her to Pense. Think about it!
Hot and windy. Way out averaged about 21k/hr way back averaged about 44 k/hr hitting a maximum of 56.8 k/hr (remember no hills on highway one!
focussed on keeping my heart rate just below 80% or Z4. Crossed Z4 only a couple of times when I was resting my but doing some out of saddle sprints. Almost got blown off the dirty girl a couple of times, a little windy - did I mention that? 48 k/hr wind - just checked.

One Gu gel and one clif shot. Two bottles of water and one bottle of Enervit sport.

Started to fade in the last 5 k...really, really cross-windy then, I think I just got fed up and tired of focusing on not blowing over onto the shoulder of the highway.

Great ride. But I need to ride more, lots more to get back to where I used to be.

Decided to sleep in, after getting up at 5 and walking around like the walking stupid. After my 240 episode, I also decided to take my Resting Heart Rate. When I'm watching that cute little actress in Ghost Whisperer its about 62. Lying in bed thinking about eternity is about 54bpm and this morning after trying to clear my mind and not think about world peace it was 47 bpm. So I guess it is somewhere around the high forties. I'm guess that's not too bad.

Signed up for a Masters Swim Class three days a week. Now I must be getting serious.

Run
  • 39m
  • 7.00 kms
  • 05m 34s /KM

Tried to push the run a little further, considering I have to be able to do 21 k next week. Beautiful morning. Felt pretty good. Used my new Timex HRM, so no idea of pace, but I felt very fast at times. The Max HR is pissing me off. I shoot up there within 5 minutes of my run...during warmup. I stay there for 1 to 5 minutes then I go back down to Z4...That heart of mine does beat fast when I run. I have to recalculate my Max HR. I could not imagine running in Z1 or Z2...I'd have to be walking according to these numbers.

Good run.

So I watched Ironman 2005 coverage of Kona last night. I got the DVD when I bought some fancy new stuff at the IMC Expo. It's funny, you'd think there would be stuff there that was remotely more affordable than what you could get at your local tri store, or that there would be some decent variety...I got some stuff I couldn't get here. Stuff that was in deep discount and nobody had noticed or seemed to want. I was tempted to buy the Ironman Kona coffee, but I heard that it was made of ball bearings. I got:

• A Zoot squid lid
  • Blue Seventy goggles
  • Ironman bib tights
  • Timex fancy pants HRM/chronograph.

There was a lot of other cool stuff, but way too pricey and I could probably just as easily get it here or by mail for the same cost.

Anyway, watching the coverage proved to be very inspirational and all night I had watery dreams of anxiety and triumph over this tri-pronged trident that rests just behind my butt.

It didn't really help me get up at crack of stupid. It is still dark. And the berbery spice from the Ethiopian food last night didn't help.

For those of you wondering, I went with Video game for his Wii and a new battery for his watch. His sister got him a lovely my little pony, with a beautiful mane that would make the Hoff jealous.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Bike
  • 40m
  • 20.00 kms
  • 30.00 KM/hr

I forgot how much I loved the dirty girl...went out for a quick and enjoyable ride. The problem with tri is that you can't do what you want to do and you have to manage burnout - which is what I did for a big chunk of time after my half ironman

A certain energy flows through me of late. It is like a confidence and even a giddiness. And it all flows through my trip to Penticton. I guess it's the power of a goal?

Today is the birthdate of the first fruit of my lions. (he actually came out the loins of his first mother...but that is another matter).

He specifically asked for: a pony, a piano, a video card, a monkey - or lessons to become an organ grinder. Well, he's not getting the bestiary. Can't afford a piano right now (and besides he has an electronic one), he's getting a new computer through school (to take his "I'm a big brain advanced course online"-- so he won't need a video card. And there are just too many ways to pun around organ grinder so I'm not going there for a young person just on the verge of young adulthood.

So I caved and got a video game that was mentioned during normal conversation, not rehearsed pre-birthday speech. And a new battery for his watch...boy this gets better every minute!

Anyone have any suggestions for a kid that has everything (well, with first parents like these, as close to everything as is statutorily permitted)?

As a last meal the request has been for Ethiopian food and apple pie. That's happening tonight. Then on the weekend it is pool and three close friends. Sadly, I cannot do laps in that pool.

So I'll take suggestions for this 13 year old. Please. And don't bother with suggestion Llamas or a selection of acids and explosives. I've already exhausted those possibilities.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Run
  • 21m 29s
  • 3.76 kms
  • 05m 43s /KM

Quick run to get the cobwebs out.

I have to get my pipes blown out and cleaned this week after a week or so of poor and in-car eating habits.

Today is like the day after the party.

There is no hangover, I've never bothered with those.

But there is a vague tiredness that saps and obscures all else.

There is also a realization of the magnitude of what I have committed.

Funny though, I have this wave of confidence that seems to be warming through my veins.

Well it's certainly now time to make the donuts. Now that I have superhero starcorp paving the way as a role model. Ill just try to avoid the TV set throwing.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

I am back, I am exhausted and yes I'm bonafide. 365 days to go, 365 days before I too will line up and face my demons. 365 days until I'm standing in a rubber suit with a bunch of other nervous and shivering overtrained and drowning-in-endorphin life travelers who are wondering what the hell they are doing and how they got there?

Before I make any other comments. Thanks to Highwaydog.(I know how much you love your fonts) Now that is a Mensch! he and his homeys took me in and catered me and laughed at my jokes (reluctantly) and smiled politely when I said things in furreighn languages and drove me around and and and, well accepted me. Thank you.

Congrats to all the Ironmen who burned up the course and those who were burned by the course, yet still finished at Penticton and held their tired, blood-drained hands up and were addressed as Ironmen.

Special congrats to Starcorp - the man, the legend, the Ironman...Way to go John. You kicked that bad back in the ass and you finished smiling. You are my hero.

It was great as well to meet up with tmason...You were exacly how I expected you, although with more clothes...nice brass! Good to meet your sprogs and hubby Trudy!

As for weigh2go and pablo? Thanks for the calls and the texts...and I can't believe that I met up with some 30 people that I knew and didn't expect to meet from Regina and S'toon and Toronto and Calgary and Lethbridge and Winnepeg, but your crew was mysteriously skulking in the netherworld. I hope you did everything you wanted to and had a great vacy.

And extra special thanks to Trisportnick who (partly because of me...I'm sorry) did not attend IMC, but provided support and minute by minute Internet updates of our friends and racers from thousands of miles away via texting. You are the man Nick!

Now I return to my regularly scheduled whining...365 days to go Baybee!

• Health data: Sleep: 1 Hours slept: 1

windnsnow's Training Log

September 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Time
Distance
  • August's totals
  • July's totals