Strength
  • 1h 15m

Exceptional work out. Felt strong and fast did a bunch of core and stability and strength work.

I missed my Ironman, he wasn't there, but I had a world champion there instead. Yes, Milos, two-time age group Ironman world champion was there. (he of the inspirational quotation)

It was amusing watching him try to keep up, he struggled a bit. I'm impressed by how well he did...and I continue to be impressed with myself because clearly, this Brendan class is no run through the park...

John's still the strongest Ironman I know. Even though he has a fat ankle. :)

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Stretching and rolling all by my lonesome.

I miss my carefree Fridays with Matt. It's Brendan time...

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Swim
  • 40m
  • 1200.00 meters
  • -----

Well, I did the swim that I will be missing tomorrow.

Left shoulder a little sore and it was clicking a bit. I did some kicking and got the beginning of a major cramp in my right leg, that I managed to walk off...I'm falling apart!

I found this online (while trolling for dirty pictures). Kinda relevant to my life and eating habits....

What I've learned so far:
1). That I eat most of my calories in the form of snacks - that I'm not a big eater of "meals".
2). That I eat between 2500 and 2900 calories a day.
3). That a lot of calories come from my kids' crusts, and from "popping" things in my mouth without thinking about it. For example, while making a healthy 1/2 sandwich, I will "pop" one slice of cheese and one slice of turkey in my mouth while making it.
4). That I burn between 500 and 1200 calories per day.
5). That what I consider a "portion" is actually twice the size of the manufacturer's portion size (i.e. cereal!)

Those of you paying attention will like to know that there was a 6) but I left it out...

Decided to sleep in. I wasn't overly tired, but I'm going to be getting up early in the next two days and there was no compelling reason to ride my bike this morning.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 1h 01m
  • 30.00 kms
  • 29.51 KM/hr

Real Rides Penticton...from start. Felt tired and weak. Left leg at hip wasn't feeling right. Worked through it.
Wanted to quit, kept going, upped my cadence. Felt great, ended strong and happy....
Thanks Gordo!

Run
  • 1h 30m
  • 7.00 kms
  • -----

Three-for completed. Time includes warm up, machs, cooldown and stretching.
5x1000. I thought I ran fast, but I guess it was kinda slow. I didn't really push myself too hard, but pushed enough - as evidenced by my heart rate.

Ball of right foot, still a little sore. I'm rolling it on a tennis ball as I type.

Swim
  • 40m
  • 1600.00 meters
  • -----

Had to cut it short, meetings and media calls.

Plan was to do 2,000.

Felt pretty good, a little tired.

I'm toying with the idea of a three-for today. Just like the old days. The balmy -37 out there makes me question everything.

We had to close a school yesterday because of a a watermain break and flooding. I have to go do my spokesperson thing at the school, but I will avoid it. Another consequence of the extreme cold. Read about it below.

Coffee...where's my coffee?

Water main break sends some Regina students home early

Veronica Rhodes
Leader-Post

Students at W.F. Ready School were sent home early on Tuesday after a water main break caused the school to close.

Parents of the more than 300 students were contacted and transport home was arranged following the water main break shortly after noon.

According to Terry Lazarou, spokesman for Regina Public Schools, the water infiltrated one of the mechanical rooms.

"The school has no water, no power, no heat, no telephones," said Lazarou.

Regina Public Schools employees, along with city crews and others, are expected to work through the night to fix the problem. Lazarou explained they are working quickly due to the extreme cold temperatures so no further damage is done to the school.

Students might return to classes on Thursday at the earliest but parents will be contacted regarding the re-opening of the school and notice will also be given to the media.

"The bottom line is, there is no school for Ready students until further notice," he said, adding the school's staff will continue working but will do so out of the board office.

City of Regina crews were also called to another water main break at 1st Avenue North and Halifax Street on Tuesday morning. According to Marty Willfong, director of engineering and works, crews isolated where the leak was located.

Since residents in the area still have water and the leak is not critical, crews will return to the site to make repairs once the weather warms up. Willfong said the leak may still be bubbling but any excess water is draining into a storm sewer.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5
Bike
  • 50m
  • 22.00 kms
  • -----

Spinnervals Sprints Included three sets of plyometric jumps.
Didn't feel like doing it.

Did it. Felt strong and fast.
Coach Troy says I should take 48 to 72 hours off...What planet is he from?

Okay, so now at 8:30 it is -34 and wind chill is -52.

I'm going out! You may never hear from me again! 

Sorry, I can't help myself. It is -31, soon to be -35 with the wind chill at -50. This is "shoot me in the head" weather. The only way this could get any better is if there were burning lava, or perhaps molten meteorites falling from the heavens.

I've decided to refrain from my planned 14 k run this morning.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Swim
  • 40m
  • 1325.00 meters
  • -----

Felt weak, but got stronger as I progressed. Jason pulled me into the baby pool and retaught me how to skull and do fluttery things.

I've got a sore sole of of my right foot. It's not Plantar Fasc..I think it is just residual pain from a cramp. I'll work through it.

WU 400
MS 6x100 intervals 2:10 on 10
200 easy
25 on back fluttery things
100 drill

Strength
  • 1h 00m
Sport
  • Stretching
  • 15m

2 p.m. update.

Well the storm has hit. about a half block visibility and we are expecting -46 windchill tomorrow. I don't think I'll be doing my outdoor run...Although just think of the bragging rights on that!

Okay, let's see how this week works out. I'm supposed to ramp up my hours of joy. I'm actually kinda looking forward to it...

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Run
  • 2h 16m 11s
  • 21.20 kms
  • 06m 25s /KM

Well that wasn't fun.

A day of extremes. Terrible run and personal best.

I experimented with Boost drink and I went out way too fast - Ironman was running a 5:30 pace...I hit the wall at about 45 minutes and struggled from there. Then I had to take a dump. Running with clenched cheeks, isn't good for the form! Also ran out of water. Ended up at the University and
lightened the load, as it were. Felt better after that and I got my groove back, and just as I was mentally preparing to do another 45 minutes, Ironman gave me a call and wondered where I was.. I was about 10 minutes from where they were, so I pretty much sprinted to the Centre of the Arts, and called it a day. Didn't do my planned 3:20. But not a total loss either. Personal best Half-mary run by one minute! QCM 2:17.24.

Who knew?

Had to fight lots of negative thoughts, thoughts of quitting, but I couldn't quit, I was too far from home.

It's all good.
2131 cals

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 40m

Stretching and roller work after I got home.

Well, besides the fact that I feel dessicated-even though it is damp out and my legs are really sore, I'm looking forward to this long run. I was up at 3 am and had a meal replacement dring - I slowly starting to try out some of the strategies I will do at "the show".

The weather is not too bad, althoght at -7 with damp and windchill, you never know how to dress. I think I'll try an empire waist.

Okay, time to get this old body moving.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 38.00 kms
  • -----

"outdoor" ride with spinnervals. Just the right amount of time to end off my easy week, before the run of doom tomorrow.

Legs were a little stiff from yesterday's Brendan bleep work.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

lots of time on the roller. It helped.

As I lay in bed, I was trying to figure out one good reason why I get up so early on a Saturday when everybody, including the chickens, sleep noisily in their beds of warmth.

I couldn't come up with a decent answer, but all that brain activity...and the clucking...kept me awake, so I got up.

Easy spin on tap today.

• Health data: Hours slept: 5

windnsnow's Training Log

February 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 

Time
Distance