Swim
  • 40m
  • 1200.00 meters
  • -----

Joined the Tuesday Masters' class 'cuz I missed yesterdays.
Figured out I have to rotate more off my left side to stop this shoulder grief and that I'm a much stronger kicker on my back. In fact I'm better on my back for most things, but that's another story.

I woke up to ride my bike and realized I was sore from pushing bigger weights yesterday.

Realizing my new goal was getting more sleep, I went back to bed.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Strength
  • 1h 20m

Did some of these, such as the push-ups to exhaustion.
Felt pretty strong.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

More Morden pictures up in my album.

Today I start my taper for the Hypothermic Half Marathon on Saturday. I'm not quite sure how much I'll taper, but it starts today because I have a noon-hour meeting and I can't make my swim.

One of my new goals is to try to get more sleep. So far so good. I feel like crap, like I've been in a coma.

Body Fat calculation (with calipers) was kinda fun. February 2007 was:

Triceps: 11 mm

Suprailliac: 24 mm

Abominables: 22 mm for a 21 % body fat total.

Last night: Tris (7mm), Supra.(10 mm), abs (12 mm) for a new low of 13.5 per cent body fat.

Hmmm. I guess all those skinny ideas have helped.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Run
  • 34m 03s
  • 5.84 kms
  • 05m 50s /KM

Easy run, my ass! Good run. Never stopped (except to walk across the street). Ironman kept a great pace, and I didn't have a choice but to keep up. We started rather slow (in other runner traffic) this was good for me. I prefer starting up kinda slow. Then we just got faster and faster. Until my asthma hit...but I didn't stop. I knew if I did, I wouldn't start again. Good little sprint in the -22 weather! 532 calories.

Easy run planned today. It is -27...I'm not exactly sure that I want to.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 40.00 kms
  • -----

great spin! On the Road (Spinnervals) Lake Placid IM course. Did half of it. Was essentially a 1.5 hour time trial. Got my cadence and my speed up, felt strong. Good ride.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m

Had to clear my head a little. Went for a brisk walk...must be my time of the month.

Time to make the donuts.

Setting up the spin class today. Flying solo again. I'm not looking forward to touching my -22c-all-night-exposed trainer (in the car).

• Health data: Hours slept: 5.5
Strength
  • 1h 15m

Exceptional work out. Felt strong and fast did a bunch of core and stability and strength work.

I missed my Ironman, he wasn't there, but I had a world champion there instead. Yes, Milos, two-time age group Ironman world champion was there. (he of the inspirational quotation)

It was amusing watching him try to keep up, he struggled a bit. I'm impressed by how well he did...and I continue to be impressed with myself because clearly, this Brendan class is no run through the park...

John's still the strongest Ironman I know. Even though he has a fat ankle. :)

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Stretching and rolling all by my lonesome.

I miss my carefree Fridays with Matt. It's Brendan time...

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Swim
  • 40m
  • 1200.00 meters
  • -----

Well, I did the swim that I will be missing tomorrow.

Left shoulder a little sore and it was clicking a bit. I did some kicking and got the beginning of a major cramp in my right leg, that I managed to walk off...I'm falling apart!

I found this online (while trolling for dirty pictures). Kinda relevant to my life and eating habits....

What I've learned so far:
1). That I eat most of my calories in the form of snacks - that I'm not a big eater of "meals".
2). That I eat between 2500 and 2900 calories a day.
3). That a lot of calories come from my kids' crusts, and from "popping" things in my mouth without thinking about it. For example, while making a healthy 1/2 sandwich, I will "pop" one slice of cheese and one slice of turkey in my mouth while making it.
4). That I burn between 500 and 1200 calories per day.
5). That what I consider a "portion" is actually twice the size of the manufacturer's portion size (i.e. cereal!)

Those of you paying attention will like to know that there was a 6) but I left it out...

Decided to sleep in. I wasn't overly tired, but I'm going to be getting up early in the next two days and there was no compelling reason to ride my bike this morning.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 1h 01m
  • 30.00 kms
  • 29.51 KM/hr

Real Rides Penticton...from start. Felt tired and weak. Left leg at hip wasn't feeling right. Worked through it.
Wanted to quit, kept going, upped my cadence. Felt great, ended strong and happy....
Thanks Gordo!

Run
  • 1h 30m
  • 7.00 kms
  • -----

Three-for completed. Time includes warm up, machs, cooldown and stretching.
5x1000. I thought I ran fast, but I guess it was kinda slow. I didn't really push myself too hard, but pushed enough - as evidenced by my heart rate.

Ball of right foot, still a little sore. I'm rolling it on a tennis ball as I type.

Swim
  • 40m
  • 1600.00 meters
  • -----

Had to cut it short, meetings and media calls.

Plan was to do 2,000.

Felt pretty good, a little tired.

I'm toying with the idea of a three-for today. Just like the old days. The balmy -37 out there makes me question everything.

We had to close a school yesterday because of a a watermain break and flooding. I have to go do my spokesperson thing at the school, but I will avoid it. Another consequence of the extreme cold. Read about it below.

Coffee...where's my coffee?

Water main break sends some Regina students home early

Veronica Rhodes
Leader-Post

Students at W.F. Ready School were sent home early on Tuesday after a water main break caused the school to close.

Parents of the more than 300 students were contacted and transport home was arranged following the water main break shortly after noon.

According to Terry Lazarou, spokesman for Regina Public Schools, the water infiltrated one of the mechanical rooms.

"The school has no water, no power, no heat, no telephones," said Lazarou.

Regina Public Schools employees, along with city crews and others, are expected to work through the night to fix the problem. Lazarou explained they are working quickly due to the extreme cold temperatures so no further damage is done to the school.

Students might return to classes on Thursday at the earliest but parents will be contacted regarding the re-opening of the school and notice will also be given to the media.

"The bottom line is, there is no school for Ready students until further notice," he said, adding the school's staff will continue working but will do so out of the board office.

City of Regina crews were also called to another water main break at 1st Avenue North and Halifax Street on Tuesday morning. According to Marty Willfong, director of engineering and works, crews isolated where the leak was located.

Since residents in the area still have water and the leak is not critical, crews will return to the site to make repairs once the weather warms up. Willfong said the leak may still be bubbling but any excess water is draining into a storm sewer.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5

windnsnow's Training Log

February 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 

Time
Distance
  • August's totals