PM update.

The day has conspired against me. I spent most of the morning at the pool...taking pictures  of school kids building and sailing/sinking cardboard boats (with them in them!) No time for swimming....boo hoo.

Spent a good chunk of the afternoon at the track listening and participating in a news conference with the Mayor announcing the I Love Regina run...and then being co-oerced to sign up.

No excercise then either....

My bike is still in the shop and I didn't feel like setting the road bike up on the trainer.

First born has parent/school stuff tonight that I have to take him to. First Wife is off galavanting around the province.

Maybe I'll be able to squeeze something in tonight...it's going to be a busy weekend! 

I was planning to go for a morning run.

Got up at 5. Reveled in the fact that it was finally raining and decided to treat myself by going back to sleep.

I wasn't overly tired. I just felt like going back to sleep. And I did.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Run
  • 56m 30s
  • 8.16 kms
  • 06m 55s /KM

Douglas Park Hill/Science Centre.
9 Hills. Achilles (left) a little tender.
Got faster and stronger with every hill. No real pain after the Marathon. This is incredible!
Feel good.
Great morning.

Heart Rate stayed low. Hills were a cinch!
949 cals.

Swim
  • 40m
  • 1400.00 meters
  • 02m 52s /100 meters

Couldn't get my swim on at lunch time.
Did the family thing for dinner, then rewarded First Born and Second Born and First Wife with Blizzards. Then I went for a swim. Latest swim I've ever had. But it was great.

1200 fc in ladders
200 breast

Tired.

Didn't get home till late. Sick first born(stomach flu methinks) was competing in a city Optimist oratorical contest. (yes I didn't fail to recognize the irony of me at an Optimist function - there were lots of half full drinks, I must admit).

First born got the bronze. I'm very proud of him.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Bike
  • 45m
  • 18.00 kms
  • 24.00 KM/hr

Got my outdoor ride on finally.
I took the tri bars off my Pinarello old school road bike and took the plunge this morning. Man that was fun. I was just throwing the bike around the corners and banks on the bike trail. I guess all that indoor training wasn't a waste. Felt very powerful. Got a little overexhuberant and went off the path onto the grass at one point and almost did an endo.
Rode naked...It felt great. Mileage is a guess. I can't stay on the path though, I go too fast. I'll have to hit the highway very soon.
I had to cut my ride short because my toes started to hurt from the cold. Double layer socks didn't cut it. I think I have to wear my booties. Balaclava and helmet rain cover kept my head warm. My fancy pants mitten/gloves were good and my fancy pants Ironman brand tights/bibs that I bought at IMC last year for $30 were magical.

I think I might be over my DOD already...can you tell.

DOD day for me. (Day of Doubt) It's a post endorphin cycle I've noticed over the past year. I'm thinking it is a mental manifestation of my body repairing itself. Time to be careful. I won't overdue it. A least I don't feel like jumping off the bridge like I did the first few times I went through this.

For those of you who know this fair city, jumping off the bridge is quite laughable. We do have the longest bridge in the world (over the shortest expanse of water). But being devoid of any topographical altitude, bridge jumping would probably result in no more than a broken ankle.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Owwie owwie owie.

Not that bad actually. Neck a little stiff, but it was yesterday before the run. I'm still quite sore where I chaffed on my arms. I'm going to avoid swimming today to let me skin heal a little before I force the chlorine on it.

So I think today is a well-earned rest day. 

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Run
  • 5h 01m 59s
  • 42.22 kms
  • 07m 09s /KM

Ich bin Marathoner!

That Bastard Starcorp made me run more than I wanted to. Somewhere near 4 hours he said...why don't we try for 42.2. Then the swearing started...With every step I cursed his very existence and for making me do this.

First half was the fastest I've ever run...ran with some good people...and that Starcorp guy.
21.13k at 2hr16 @6:26 pace
Second half slowed down considerably. Went to a 7:27 and then an 8 pace.
Lots of 10 and 1s. Had to stop for Gatorade and energy bars. Ran out of energy felt strange pains in my hips and knees. Slowed down, but felt very strong. Really strong. I could have gone faster.
Most frustrating thing was we had to make up 5k at the end so we just meandered and ran like zombies.

I surprised myself today. I can do anything.

Thanks Ironman. Together we can do anything. :)

Very windy out. Heart rate got up a bit, but then it went way down.
Never felt like I was working aerobically that hard, except running against the wind uphill.
4012 cals

Oh and I was 188lbs. That's the best part!

Nutrition One big bottle glycocarb, one refill of water at University. 4 gels, 2 bottles of gatorade that we bought at 2 different stores. One oatmeal bar (That really made a difference!) 1/3 of a powerbar protein bar that Starcorp bought with 6 k to go.

I got some real bad, real surprising chaffing. Nips, as usual, despite lots of glide. None below cheeks like I usually get (lots of gel) Boys aren't happy...but the weirdest were my arms just above my armpits.
I also got some gad friction burns in the small of my back, from my water bottle. These are so bad that I'm wondering if swimming is a good idea tomorrow. I might take a rest day.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 35m
Sore and stiff. Perfect for a long run on a cold day.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 34.00 kms
  • -----

Coached session with Warren Lister (Former New Zealand Olympic Cycling Team Coach - It's amazing who lives in Regina eh?)
Was absolutely zonked this morning, but picked it up.
Simulated time trial efforts

3, 5, 8 and 10 minute sessions at steady pace, cadence, effort.

Took a lot out of me, but felt good. I was able to do it.
Still getting sore triceps, biceps while aero.
He checked my position and said it was good. I might just need more work on the road. I asked trainer Kylie and she said the same thing.

Run
  • 20m
  • -----
  • -----

Brick on Level 10 dreadmill.

Felt surprisingly good. Didn't push too hard. 1.5 hill level and 5.5 speed level.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Post bike stretching

Owwie owwie. I'm sore from that run yesterday. Or was it strength trainer-Steve....or maybe one of the swims. It just hurts.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5
Swim #1
  • 1h 10m
  • 2050.00 meters
  • -----

Warm up before Master's Class 200
Then Class as
WU 400 descending 100
4 x 50 kick/fc
3(4 x 100) hold pace

CD 50

Swim #2
  • 25m
  • 1150.00 meters
  • 02m 10s /100 meters

1000 non-stop paddles and buoy.
150 breast cool down.

Run
  • 28m 36s
  • 5.08 kms
  • 05m 38s /KM

Ran the icebreaker course including Douglas Park Hill.
Really pushed myself. Probably could have gone just a little faster. Was running on a stomach full of pasta.

Started cold without a warmup
It was tough to settle in, but I started to feel pretty comfortable.
Ran up Douglas Park Hill at a pace of about 7:10.

Way out: 14:56 @5:46pace 2.59k
Back : 13:40 @5:30pace 2:49k

487cals

Strength
  • 1h 30m

Last session with Steve.
Stretched some things I've never stretched before. Bit of a sore back from one of the routines that was supposed to stretch my hams...I was too flexible, shoulda used more weight.

Good overall!
Time includes extra stretch.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 25m

Cool down and stretching after run.

Time to make the bloody donuts again.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

windnsnow's Training Log

April 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5