Run
  • 53m 14s
  • 10.02 kms
  • 05m 19s /KM

Peanut Butter on Wet Toast!
Okay, against my better judgement, I ran faster than I expected.
Rain was bad and wind was worse- 41k/hr

first 5k scorching 26:09/ 5:12/km
Second 5k slower 27:05/ 5:25/km

904 cals.

Previous PB was:
Jingle Bell Arthritis Run 10k @ 57.25min on 11/25/2007

Lisa Bentley ran the race and then ran back and cheered on everyone coming in.

I love that about her. She looked great, I like her smile!

"RACE" report is up.

Out with Country Music Impresario and the gang last night. I am really tired. I'm also very sore (good sore) from the windy ride yesterday. I will be running pretty easy today. The weather also sucks today, although we need this rain in a bad way.

So it should be an easy day.

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 7
Bike
  • 3h 40m
  • 86.00 kms
  • 23.45 KM/hr

Well, that was interesting!
Rode with Rick to his place in Ft. Qu'Appele. He really needs to get a new bike.

40 to 50 km headwind and 65km/hr gusts from the side.
Hills, I don't need no stinkin' hills!
Interesting thing about the bike. At 14k/hr it is just hard to cycle....when I just got fed up and peddled hard till it hurt and pushed my speed up to 25km/hr, the bike actually got faster...duh.
What I mean is that I found a "sweetspot" it is as if the wind had less an effect at the higher speed. I actually switched to the big chainring and started to average more like 25-30k/hr instead of 15-20.
I think I learned something here. :)
Max 74.5 km/hr down the valley into Ft. Qu'Appelle. Fun fun fun in the crosswind.

Really worked on nutrition. Ran out of Glycocarb. Had what was left and gatorade mixed in a bottle. One small bottle of water and one bottle of accelerade that I didn't drink until after I was done.
Had one Powerbar @1:20hr and one Powergel @ 2:50hr. I could feel myself getting weak and then getting a rush from the drink or the food. Had more food, just didn't take it.

Had eggs, Salsa and one piece of toast for Breaky.
This is working out well.

Slept solo - first wife was at a "girls" night in the country. Mind you there were several children here last night who are not mine, I think, and they were all excited and wide awake at 11 pm because of the the community festival that is going on. I didn't get to sleep till later than I expected.

I'm riding by bike to rescue said first wife. I'll ride out the 85+km (in the silly wind!) and we'll drive back together. She suggested it, so who am I to argue...Mind you, I will miss a Lisa Bentley running class today because of it, but this is one of those sacrifices. I also have a 10k race tomorrow that I should be tapering for, but this is one of those sacrifices...it also is really a c, or a d race, so I'm not too concerned.

I'm still kinda blah, but spending huge amounts of time with myself yesterday helped. Funny how time organizes itself like that...

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Strength
  • 1h 15m

Surprisingly easy session with Brendan. Lots of Range of Motion exercises. Brendan added an extension on the black box and I squat jumped higher than I ever have before...This is scary.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 15m

Rolling out my really sore calf.

I had to do the front and rear lawns eventually. There is a big street festival and community THANG tonight and tomorrow, I may as well make my property look presentable.

Sport #2
  • Yard Work
  • 2h 00m

Rolling out my really sore calf.

I had to do the front and rear lawns eventually. There is a big street festival and community THANG tonight and tomorrow, I may as well make my property look presentable.

Feeling kinda blah this morning. Going to train with Brendan for first time in two weeks. Calf is very tight. That's not it.

I'm just feeling kinda sad, but I can't put my finger on it. I'm feeling another Karmic shift coming.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Swim
  • 44m 04s
  • 2000.00 meters
  • 02m 12s /100 meters

Non-stop swim...just because I can. :)
Arm still a little sore. I iced it after.
Spent some time in the hot tub giving my calves some tlc

I have sore calves from my running yesterday. They feel all crampy. It's all about forefoot, toe running. We'll see how it goes.

And yes, if you have noticed, I've gained wait. It must have been all that eating fresh mountain air cycling.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 40m
  • 10.00 kms
  • -----

Rode with first born to his track practice and back. Rode at his pace. He is not the strongest rider.
I felt like I could fly. Felt weird to be in a different bike.
time is for ride to Douglas Park and back

Run
  • 34m 12s
  • 6.00 kms
  • 05m 42s /KM

Ran from douglas Park. Tried that forefoot/toe running that Ironman talks about. Very strange feeling. I think I was running well, heart rate was a little higher than normal. My left foot is striking a little oddly, but I felt faster.

Did 250m at a 3:10 pace around track with first born.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

After run.

Ok. I'm back.

323 KM; 12 hours; 20,000 calories (consumed)

Pictures?

Did you miss me?

I was back last night at about 7, but for the purposes of domestic stability I refrained from any use of the computer.

So. There's lots of pictures, but I don't have any of them yet. I took a very few of them, but lots of my fellow GTers took lots and I hope to sponge of them.

I don't really know whether or not to do a race report, as this wasn't a race...although some people, who will remain nameless, trisportnick, bugged me about noting that I was usually one of the early arrivals at all the rest stops including at the finish - I'm estimating 20th, but I'm not counting.

And speaking of Nick, what a rockstar! He climbed like he had the devil on his @ss - and he whooped mine on many of the hills. AND he went down those steep hills very respectably. From someone who oddsmakers were saying wouldn't do it, to a very strong ride...Nick did it and is ready now to show that spending all winter spinning indoors did have some benefit to his cycling.

Starcorp did his own thing for the majority of the ride and he was strong for the whole thing riding his road bike (many of our tri-group were on tri bikes) like he had been doing it forever.

The highlight of my ride was with Starcorp racing down the mountain into Radium Hot Springs passing each other several times at 60k per hour and even the cars not going that fast. It was a blast. I passed him, he passed me, I passed him and so on. At the bottom, the Mayor of Regina (who is part of our group) caught up with us and we just stood there grinning like idiots.

So. Day one.

Arrive at Castle Mountain in our big @ss horse trailer with 18 bikes comfortably mounted inside supplied by Morsky Industrial Services - It was like being sponsored. We could just feel the excitement!

We picked up our stuff (a free bag of gorp, no less, water battle, too-big shirt and instructions and rode away across the great (continental) divide between Alberta and British Columbia. Highest elevation - 5,730 feet.

107 km at about 3:20. I zeroed my computer before I wrote this down.

Sad day as one of our riders, Carol, ran over a piece of lumber in the road and seperated her shouler.

Like a trouper she volunteered for the rest of the three day ride.

This was a good day. Nick amazed everyone - including himself with his hill riding skills.

I had fun playing with my bike, doing bunny hops sideways out of ruts and joining a Calgary peleton and going really, really fast - 40 k average on the flats.

Ended this day with my aforementioned racing with Starcorp and nearly passed out trying to ride up the driveway of the hotel that was steeper than any hill we encountered. The hotel looked like it was stuck in the 60s with carpets that had not been washed since then either. Did a trail running brick 20 minutes up a freaking mountain and fell at a switchback and bruised my calf. Starcorp had some choice expletives for this run.

Good day.

Day 2 Radium to Golden.

4.48 hours 111km.

This was an easy day, mostly downhill, but it was probably everyone's bad day because the weather turned near the end and the last 40k were crappy. Cracks and crevices and bad weather were just not fun. I was riding in a really fast train (peleton) with lots of Regina Multisport Club friends. Eventually just Mark and Enio were left (probably the best riders of the group) and they dropped me an hour out of town and I just had the rain and my misery to keep me company.

It felt like a tri!

The motel was equally old but it was a nice stop. With a jacuzzi and a cold pool for the aching muscles. We did a 4 k brick here. Great meal and gathering at the local recplex. Lots of hanging out and talking with group. It was a good end to the day. Saw a t-shirt that would only work at Golden.

I heart Golden Showers.....

Last day

All uphill 2,591ft to 4,707ft

111 km 4:48 hours

We lucked out today. This was by far the hardest day of the ride, both in terms of mileage and climbing.

But we lucked out. A landslide forced the closing of parts of the highway that had no shoulders! do most traffic.

So some of us (trisportnick) took a chance and took off before breakfast. It was great! From Golden to Field over some of the steepest, narrowest roads we were on, there was no truck traffic. As we were pulling into the lunch stop the semi-trailers started roaring by...Good move.

Lots of slow climbs of about 11k/hr Really needed the 27 tooth cog today. I also hit my max of 68.8 k/hr.

Played Cat and Mouse with Todd and Nick..both stronger climbers than me, but I nailed them both on the descents . They kept passing me as I stopped to pee (had lots of pop the night before because I was dehydrated) At one stop, I peed off a bridge down a 200 foot gorge...I think it was a continuous stream!

Had a great ride after lunch stop, with more intense climbing. The day ended with Mark G. (the fast one) catching up and him, myself and three others screaming to the end through Castle Junction area on wet asphalt and scary descents....that was the fastest peleton I've ever been on, and I took my turn at the front a few times too. Whenever I looked back - there was a wheel right on my back wheel. Weeeee!

Great way to finish. The hardest day turned out to be the best.

The drive back to Calgary was long and hard because of traffic. But we ended with some more good experiences, include some shopping at Tri-it , which was a great tri store.

I am so ready for more riding now! Bike was fast. I was in great shape, no issues, had enough clothing - but not too much.

Best road trip of my life. And having Nick and John and others around me made it even more special. Even if Nick doesn't like that I sleep in the nude.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Heading home today.
Bike
  • 4h 48m 52s
  • 111.48 kms
  • 23.16 KM/hr

68.8 max

Golden to Castle Junction. 

Last day. All uphill today.

windnsnow's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat