I was dreaming that I got a chance to sleep in and then the alarm woke me up.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6
Run
  • 1h 02m
  • 9.75 kms
  • -----

Improvised run...
Running wasn't really in the plan today, but I went out with Starcorp, knowing that it may be cut short.

Felt very strong. Lots of surge power. Enjoyed myself, no pressure, just relaxed and looked at the bums in front of me (and happy that I didn't have a tiny saddle under mine!).
Walked the last 4 k. Good cool down. I forgot how much I enjoyed walking.
Had a great talk with John.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 20m

20 minute walk back after the run.
Good cool down.

Just when you think you have this parent thing licked, a flu bug hitches a ride on a kid and kicks you right in the stomach.

I'm still healthy, second born was feeling very poorly last night. I hate it when kids - any kids are sick.

• Health data: Hours slept: 5
Bike
  • 2h 45m
  • 70.00 kms
  • 25.45 KM/hr

Good solid recovery ride with Starcorp.
Had more power than I thought I would on the hills up at Lumsden!

I think my ride is ready.

Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 1h 15m

That grass never stops growing.
Painted the parts of the garage that had graffiti on it too.

For the record. I had some soy today....

Photobucket

Back on the saddle again. Why am I doing this?

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Bike
  • 6h 40m
  • 180.00 kms
  • 27.00 KM/hr

Well, that's another epic ride.
Out to Lumsden, 4 hills, back to exit b, back through Craven to Bulyea and back to Lumsden and a delicious 12 ounce coke, then back to Regina one hill. A million red lights all the way home. Miscalculated the distance by 9k so I had to ride around the airport, then along my neighbourhood until I hit the right distance. This was a good cool down though.

Nutrition. Two Powerbars. (yeah that's it! who knew!) Two bottles of Glyco. Two bottles of water. One delicious coka cola invented in Atlanta, you know.

Made an interesting discover. Other than 180k is really bloody far and long!

I tend to lose energy, drive and power after I have a powerbar. I just get blah for about 10 minutes. I think it is the blood redirecting to my stomach...I deliberately didn't have any gels to experiment with this. This didn't happen after the delicious coke. That went right to my bloodstream like, well, coke!
I'm not too worried about it over a long race, I just have to alternate with gels.

Didn't have my first Glyco for 50 minutes and didn't have my first Powerbar until 1:50. I think I need to eat more and drink...I'm 7 pounds down from this morning. Hard to drink lots, I'm completely self sustained from home, until I get to the place that sells the delicious coke...that and I don't like spending money.

10 or 11 e-load pills.
Bottom of left foot got a little sore, but it's better, neck sore (as usual) Butt really sore (wore tri shorts)
Was Aero 99% of the ride.

Temp 10 (morning) 25c afternoon. 15k/hr headwind/sidewind for most of ride except 30k stretch home.

Good Epic Ride.

Run
  • 24m 21s
  • 4.00 kms
  • 06m 05s /KM

BRICK!
Transition 4:24 (had to call the kids and make sure they were okay)

Just jumped out of the house. Tried to do 30 minutes and I could have, but I just didn't feel like it. Got back to the house, circled the block once more, then circled the other block...I ran the first part at about a 5:30 pace! Then I just gave up and walked for 10 minutes,

Stretched.

Felt pretty good

Going for a little bicycle ride today...

The story below may explain why I don't have more offspring running around caused by my many philanderings during my misspent youth...

On the other hand, it is kinda puzzling that two of the most populous countries in the world are also the largest consumers/eaters of soy products...Maybe those men just have really, really good motility... Maybe their swimmers should consider tri?

Maybe all that tofu also explains my "other side"...hmmmm.

Don't ask why this story came out (as it were) from Saskatchewan - it's all spunk, methinks.

SASKATCHEWAN (CBC) - Men who consume soy daily and want to start a family may want to reconsider their dietary choices in light of new research.

A study published in the July 24 issue of Human Reproduction finds that men who eat half a serving of soy per day - such as 115 g of tofu or 240 ml of soy milk - had lower concentrations of sperm than men who didn't eat soy.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health found that men who consumed the most soy (half a serving per day) had 41 million sperm per millilitre less than men who did not eat soy at all.

They found that there was an "inverse association between soy food intake and sperm concentration that remained significant after accounting for age, abstinence time, body mass index, caffeine and alcohol intake and smoking," reads the study.

Men who were obese or overweight, who accounted for 72 per cent of the study's participants, were more likely to have lowered sperm concentrations, the study also found.

The 99 participants were recruited from the Massachusetts General Hospital Fertility Center, where they were evaluated for sub-fertility between 2000 and 2006.

The researchers believe that the estrogenic properties of soy may negatively affect the production of sperm, an effect that may be heightened in obese or overweight men who have higher estrogen levels than men of normal weight.

• Health data: Sick: 2 Hours slept: 6
Run
  • 1h 02m
  • 10.70 kms
  • 05m 47s /KM

Finally got out after the lightning stopped. Nice little relaxing run. Picked up the pace in parts. Had water fountain water three times.
It still isn't hot enough. It is hard to train for hot running when it is coolish out.

As a side note. I found a convenient, obscured bush to get rid of some of the water fountain water and just as I was about to, "make the gesture" this man approached me and said "how much?"

He wasn't my type. I retracted the ballistic and ran off...The things you encounter when you don't expect them!

Some new-to-me Golden Triangle picks pilfered from Mark R's Facebook page here

So First Wife and her traveling companion stopped at the airport in Toronto on their way to Europe to have some greasy food that is just not available here. While there, they decided to amuse me with the name of the server. Hmmm. I'm not quite sure whether to be anxious or excited about homecoming...

Photobucket

Okay, that was just too much sleep. I decided not to get up early and to, instead, run in the afternoon heat to train myself a little better.

I opened my eyes at 5:30 (of course) and it was a perfect morning! I went back to sleep, had one of my annoying recurring nightmares and now feel like jello. Urg!

• Health data: Sick: 3 Hours slept: 9
Bike
  • 1h 46m
  • 44.00 kms
  • -----

Okay, I said I wouldn't do any more indoor stuff. Well needs must!
Crappy weather and threat of electrocution drove me to the basement.
Just as well intervals are hard on the highway.
I thought I was going to die. But I didn't.
All is new again.
Legs feel like two pistons - on a teeny tiny Austin Mini.
Glad I did this.

WU 20min
MS 100 rpm 5x 1min sets @1min rest
Breakthrough:
Tempo intervals
6X8min in 5zone 75-85 rpm @3min rest.

Doing the airport thing this morning.

Surveying the damage from yesterday's storm. Two trees down.

Shoulder still out. This is almost funny!

• Health data: Sick: 4 Hours slept: 8
Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 27.00 kms
  • 27.00 KM/hr

Crap it was windy. Oy! I really didn't feel like being out there and my arm is now tender...hmmmm.

Struggled going into the wind. Was hungry, didn't have a lot of power. On the way back I pulled myself together and managed to get some good speed work.

I'm not doing anything else today, other than show up to work.

Must be late in the seaon. My Ham/leg is all better, but now my right shoulder is toast.

It felt funny yesterday, now it is just plain sore. Good thing I know how to swim and don't have to learn in a hurry, cause I don't think I'll be doing any swimming for, at least, a couple of days!!

• Health data: Sick: 3 Hours slept: 6

windnsnow's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • August's totals