The following equipment is nearing replacement:
  • 6h 04m 26s
  • 112.00 miles
  • 18.44 Mi/hr

It was mostly wet, I got soaked.

  • 3h 53m 27s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 08m 55s /Mi

It was wet, I got soaked.

  • 1h 26m 11s
  • 3800.00 meters
  • 02m 16s /100 meters

It was wet, I got soaked.

  • 10m
  • -----
  • -----
  • 15m
  • -----
  • -----
  • 18m
  • -----
  • -----

 Saturday I went back to the canal for a short workout.  Unlike the daz before today was overcast.  Got in a short swim, a short ride and a short run and just as I finished up it started sprinkling.  After my final workout I went and drove the bike course.  And let me just say, wow, whata beautiful ride.  The course winds its way thru the countryside so you have these pathcwork farms of a few acres on these small hills separated by patches of pine woods or thick deciduous woods.  The roads are narrow but glass-smooth and every 2-3 miles or so you come into a small village of a few houses, maybe one or two stores.  The road will twist a few times as the houses come right up to the road and then you are back out into the farmland.  After every two or three of these smaller towns you'll come to a little bit larger town where there'll be a bakery, some small shops, etc. , and then back out into the farmland.  By now it was raining though. 

Did my drive of the course and then got some lunch in Roth.  Then back over to the canal for the bike check in.  There were of course a lot of Cervelos and Felts but it was really cool seeing such a large variety of bikes that I had never even heard of.  It was still raining and once nice touch was that they supplied these large plastic bags that fir right over your bike to keep it dry.  Said goodbye to my ride and my running stuff and went back to Roth and wandered around the expo again.  I was supposed to meet my frind Christine at the train at 3:30 but when I showed up there was no 3:30 train on the schedule.  Luckily the station was right next to the triathlon park so I went back in and grabbed some dinner and waited for thenest train.  She wasn't on it though so I headed into the pre-race meeting.  Finally started getting some nerves listening to them descibe the course.

Got out of the meeting and ran over to see if Christine was on the next rain but no.  She had the address for the B&B though so I just headed back there and hoped she had made it.  And she had!  She got in around 4pm, barely missed me looking for her and got a taxi there and then hung out and got drunk with the local bowling club so everything worked out.  I had a beer with her and then tried to get to bed at a reasonable hour because I was doing a race or something the next day.



Pro start time 6:20a (10:20 pm sat. Denver)

My wave start time 7:35a (11:35 pm sat. Denver)

12-hrs into race for me: 11:35 am sunday in Denver

There may be splits on the results page but it sounds doubtful.

  • 20m
  • 800.00 meters
  • -----

Swam in the canal, not too far, just to move a little bit.

Today I got up early and went over to the canal for a swim - it was open until 9am.  The sun was out & the water was a little cool but nothing too cold.  Afterwards I drove over to the town of Roth and headed for the triathlon expo area.  Checked in and got my goodie bag and then checked out the expo.  There were a lot of booths with everything you'd expect plus, of course, a little beer garden.  Got some lunch there and then went into town for a quick stroll just to check it out.  Headed back to the place I was staying and took a little nap since I was supposed to try & stay off my feet. 

Headed back into Roth for the carbo loading party which was completely packed.  The food was actually pretty good, they had pasta and gnocci and salad along with giant pieces of cheesecake and strudle.  This was all in the big tent and I would guess there were maye 1500 people or so there.  They showed a short video and afterwards I just went home & got some sleep.

 So what happened was: When I was packing to leave I got my wallet & took out all the stuff that I wouldn't need just like the other times I've gone travelling - my drivers license since I have my passport for ID, and all those other cards & stuff that just take up space.  Somewhere over the north atlantic, just as I was about to fall asleep it hit me: I'm renting a car this time, Iäm going to need to drivers license.  Landed and got thru customs by 8am, went to the rental car counter and she said yes, this is a problem.  But if I can get someone to fax a copy of my license from a police station or Avis office that would work ok.  So I waited around the airport, took a nap on the bench, until it was morning in the US and I could call my friend who was house sitting.  Luckily she is awesome and took time off from work to run around for me so my stupidity wouldn't ruin things.  At 6pm I had my rental car and was on the autobahn towards Roth.

 The autobahn is just like you expect.  I cruised along in my tiny Fiat at 85, passing the slow trucks on my right and being passed on the left by cars cruising along at 120+mph.  But because of the speeds everyone follows the 'stay right' rules really well. 

 Once I got off the autobahn it was like entering Disneyworld.  It was this beautiful patchwork farmsland with these small towns you twist thru every few miles.  The towns looked just like you'd expect from the sterotype with the timber framed houses and window flower boxes.  It looked almost TOO perfect, like it couldn't be real.  Got to the B&B I was staying at around 8ish (it was about 20 minutes away from Roth) and checked in with a group of Spanish guys who were also doing the race.  Got some schnizle and a beer (it was the only thing on the menu I could understand) and sat out on the patio which was nice and FINALLY relaxing. 


Hello from Münich.  People talk to me but they make no sense.  Bizarre. 


Plane ride was...  ok.  Sat next to a fat German guy who smelled like b.o. and didn't say a word to me the whole flight, even when he spilled his red wine on me.  But I also hung out in the back with the stewardesses and a couple of pros on their way to the tri world cup race in Hungary which was much better. 

Due to forces entirely within my control it looks like Iäm going to be late getting to Roth so I won't be able to get my ride in today.  Auf wiedesehn!

  • Health data: Sleep: 1 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 3
  • 16m 26s
  • 1.97 miles
  • 08m 20s /Mi

Approximately 2 mile run - mile 1 is an easy warm-up, then 2 x (1/4 mile hard, 1/4 mile easy)

Felt good. Got pretty wet since everyone has their sprinkler on this early in the morning.

Who knows how the race will go so I just wanted to send out a preemptive thanks! to everyone for all the support.  Not so sure what I was thinking when I decided to go half way around the world by myself to race this but I never would've been able to be ready for it without everyone on this site, so big ups yo.

Satisfy your inner stalker here.

And its still a few days out but it looks like rain for sunday.

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 5
  • 38m 44s
  • 1600.00 meters
  • -----

wu: 300, 6x50 (:15)
ms: 6x100(hard, hard, med, med, easy, easy)
cd: 300

Right shoulder was a little sore but otherwise fine.

Funny, everyone at the meeting seemed to want to talk about the race (no idea how so many people knew about it) but it was the last thing I wanted to walk about.

Swim on the schedule tonight but I'll be in Loveland all day for a meeting so it's 50-50 whether I'll be back in time to get to the pool.  Also, I should probably pack.


  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 4
  • 24m
  • 2.97 miles
  • 08m 05s /Mi

Run 24' on a flat to rolling hill course. First 6' of run is warmup. Next 12' is (3' hard, 3' easy, 2' hard, 2' easy, 1' hard, 1' easy) - each fast section faster than the last. last 6' easy with high turnover (90+).

Legs were heavy and tired and my comfrotable pace was slow. But felt good otherwise, I hate how tapering messes with you.

  • 59m 27s
  • 21.20 miles
  • 21.40 Mi/hr

15' warm-up, 10' race pace, 10' easy spin, 10' race pace, 15' cool-down

Good little ride. Everything felt good and the race set-up is fine so its time to pack up the bike.

Got a restitution payment from the drunk girl who smashed up my car last summer.  $37.50 isn't exactly the $500 deductible I paid out but it'll get me a couple coffees at starbucks so it's better than nothing.  

Two days until I'm wheels up.  I guess I should start getting stuff together if I'm really going to do this.


Ride tonight.

  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 4

drewb8's Training Log

 July 2008 
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31