I almost had an opportunity to get a bike ride in after work today, but it didn't quite come together. I think the day off will serve me well, again. I can tell my body is thanking me for the respite. I might have the chance to get a ride in tomorrow if things break right. Otherwise I'll try this weekend, and maybe do a little 3 mile run to test my legs out again.

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1
  • 55m
  • 1859.14 yards
  • -----

Long drill workout today.

Started with 100m warmup.
Drills for 900m.
500m medium pace, focusing on form and breathing every 3 strokes - 10:30.
200m cooldown.

Total time in pool was 55 minutes. This was a good workout to do as my legs are still a little sore today. It is a gorgeous day right now, and any other week I'd be tempted to go for a bike ride. But I don't want to put any more stress on my legs at this point.

I think I'll probably take tomorrow off and maybe Friday as well. I really want to give my legs plenty of time to recover. I'm most concerned about my right knee, as it's still feeling sore and has some crepitus. I'm concerned about a meniscal tear, so I need to give it plenty of time to calm down. If I have time, I'll try to do a ride on the weekend, as that shouldn't bother my knee too much. I want to take at least a week off from running altogether.

I think I'm done with racing for 2007. It's been a good year. I feel like I have a strong base to build on for next year now. I think I might back off on training overall for 2-3 weeks to allow my body time to recuperate. I have some long term goals in mind, so I'll need to get those put down in writing here soon.

  • Walking
  • 30m

Spread fertilizer on the lawn, then went for about a mile walk because the day is just too nice to neglect.

  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 4
Another day of rest today. Legs are still fairly sore, but improving.

  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 1 Soreness: 1 Sick: 2
Rest/recovery day. Any workout today would be foolish, as I am quite sore. Both quads and calves are sore, and the right knee is sore with a little crepitus. None of these are too bad on their own, but cumulatively, I'm too sore to workout. But doing anything other than walking the day after a race probably isn't too smart, anyway. With another day behind me, I'm feeling better about yesterday's result. I didn't turn in the time I wanted, but reviewing what the other runners had to say, not many people did. It was almost a mortal lock that someone would run the full marathon under 2:20, but no one even came close. The winner was 2:23. Second was 2:26. The women's winner wanted to be around 2:50, but she won at 3:00 flat. Most complaints were about the wind, but I didn't even notice the wind until after we were done. I guess since it's been windy during enough of my training runs, I've just gotten used to it. I noticed it being warm more than windy. About 10 degrees cooler would have been desirable. Tyler, we're going to both go under 1:30 in April at the Relays half, OK? Doug, you're welcome to join us, but you may have other plans around that time, right?

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 1 Soreness: 1 Sick: 2
  • 1h 35m 57s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 07m 19s /Mi
What a day. I don't know how to feel about this run just yet. On the one hand, I missed my target time by about 4 minutes. To me that seems like a lot, but now that I type it, 4 minutes isn't that much. On the other hand, I set a new PR (under race conditions) by 16 minutes. That seems like a lot. I'll have to keep thinking about it. The weather was a bit warmer than I'd like (60-65), and it was a little breezy, but that is not an excuse. That may cost me, what, like 1-2 minutes. The first mile was too fast as it always is, but not by much. 6:52. I was hoping for 7 minute pace, so I backed off, and the second mile was 7:10. Perfect. Third mile was 7:16, which was a little too slow, but we did go up a hill. Mile 4 was 7:06. Cumulative at this point was 28:24. I could tell that 7-minute pace wasn't going to be realistic, so I changed to have a goal of 7:08-7:10 or so, which would put me at about 1:33, which is what I predicted in registration. I don't remember all my splits exactly, but they went something like this: Mile 5 - 7:16 (35:40) 6 - 7:20 (43:00) 7 - 7:15 (50:15) 8 - 7:22 (57:37) 9 - 7:23 (1:05:00) 10 - 7:30 (1:12:30) 11 - 7:19 (1:19:49) 12 - 7:49 (1:27:38) (big hill) 13 - 7:37 (1:35:15) final time 1:35:57 I could tell I was slowing badly at about mile 8. I was just hanging on as best as I could from there. I really hit the wall at about mile 11. Obviously, I am a little disappointed that I couldn't keep up 7-minute pace, but I'm OK. Overall, it was a good run, and I don't think I could have done much better (didn't leave anything on the table). Besides, if I hit all my goals now, I'd have nothing to shoot for next time! 16/118 AG 78/878 men 92/2461 overall

  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 5
Looking good, Billy Ray!...Feeling good, Lewis! I went downtown to get my "packet" for the half for tomorrow. Registration was at the Convention Center, same as for the Hy-Vee Tri. There was a sports & fitness expo going on, which I think mostly consisted of local shops with stands selling shoes, gear, food, etc. Registration was very easy - no lines, no pre-race meetings like for Hy-Vee. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the pre-race stuff back in June, considering it was the first time any of us had done a tri. But this time it was very smooth. I could have been in and out in literally two minutes if I wanted. One of the booths was for Hy-Vee, so I stopped by. If you fill out a survey, you get your choice of a hat or t-shirt. The hat was the same one we got for competing. So I got the shirt. It's the black shirt with the "swim bike run" Hy-Vee logo. I also asked about the USAT membership, to see if there was a discount. The guys didn't know, but they said they'd call me when they find out. I think I'll get up around 6:15 or 6:30 tomorrow, have a powerbar and some gatorade and head out. I'm parking at the hospital ramp, so I won't have to worry about finding a spot. It's about 3/4 of a mile to the start (8AM), so I'll just use that as my warmup.

  • Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Sick: 1
Rest day. I don't plan to run again until Sunday morning. I want my legs to be as fresh as possible. I don't have much concern from a cardio standpoint, it's more of the leg strength and endurance that worries me. Ideally, I would have done more long runs in the 10-15 mile range to truly prepare to race 13 miles. But seeing as how I only decided about 2 months ago to increase my endurance to train for this, I didn't get that done. The first time I ran a half, I ran 1:51. At that time I was only worried about being able to finish. That is not something I'm worried about anymore. The glory of completing the distance is for first-timers, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's an accomplishment. It's just that I have loftier expectations after the training I've done over the past 10 months. Hopefully everything comes together the way I'm hoping on Sunday.

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 1

robfornoff's Training Log

 October 2007 
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31