• 41m 54s
  • 14.60 miles
  • 20.91 Mi/hr

I got off work a little early today, so I had enough time to get in a "test the legs out" ride. I wasn't trying to push too hard the first time back in 2-3 weeks.

Wearing cold weather gear (and of course working out in cold weather) is going to lead to slower speeds. That much is inevitable, so I just need to accept that. I don't think I'll be pushing a 22 MPH average anytime soon.

Really though, that doesn't matter. What matters is the effort. Once the weather warms up, and we can shed layers, the speed will return. Right now it's more about logging the miles and putting in a strong effort.

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 3
I almost had an opportunity to get a bike ride in after work today, but it didn't quite come together. I think the day off will serve me well, again. I can tell my body is thanking me for the respite. I might have the chance to get a ride in tomorrow if things break right. Otherwise I'll try this weekend, and maybe do a little 3 mile run to test my legs out again.

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1
  • 55m
  • 1859.14 yards
  • -----

Long drill workout today.

Started with 100m warmup.
Drills for 900m.
500m medium pace, focusing on form and breathing every 3 strokes - 10:30.
200m cooldown.

Total time in pool was 55 minutes. This was a good workout to do as my legs are still a little sore today. It is a gorgeous day right now, and any other week I'd be tempted to go for a bike ride. But I don't want to put any more stress on my legs at this point.

I think I'll probably take tomorrow off and maybe Friday as well. I really want to give my legs plenty of time to recover. I'm most concerned about my right knee, as it's still feeling sore and has some crepitus. I'm concerned about a meniscal tear, so I need to give it plenty of time to calm down. If I have time, I'll try to do a ride on the weekend, as that shouldn't bother my knee too much. I want to take at least a week off from running altogether.

I think I'm done with racing for 2007. It's been a good year. I feel like I have a strong base to build on for next year now. I think I might back off on training overall for 2-3 weeks to allow my body time to recuperate. I have some long term goals in mind, so I'll need to get those put down in writing here soon.

  • Walking
  • 30m

Spread fertilizer on the lawn, then went for about a mile walk because the day is just too nice to neglect.

  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 4
Another day of rest today. Legs are still fairly sore, but improving.

  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 1 Soreness: 1 Sick: 2
Rest/recovery day. Any workout today would be foolish, as I am quite sore. Both quads and calves are sore, and the right knee is sore with a little crepitus. None of these are too bad on their own, but cumulatively, I'm too sore to workout. But doing anything other than walking the day after a race probably isn't too smart, anyway. With another day behind me, I'm feeling better about yesterday's result. I didn't turn in the time I wanted, but reviewing what the other runners had to say, not many people did. It was almost a mortal lock that someone would run the full marathon under 2:20, but no one even came close. The winner was 2:23. Second was 2:26. The women's winner wanted to be around 2:50, but she won at 3:00 flat. Most complaints were about the wind, but I didn't even notice the wind until after we were done. I guess since it's been windy during enough of my training runs, I've just gotten used to it. I noticed it being warm more than windy. About 10 degrees cooler would have been desirable. Tyler, we're going to both go under 1:30 in April at the Relays half, OK? Doug, you're welcome to join us, but you may have other plans around that time, right?

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 1 Soreness: 1 Sick: 2
  • 1h 35m 57s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 07m 19s /Mi
What a day. I don't know how to feel about this run just yet. On the one hand, I missed my target time by about 4 minutes. To me that seems like a lot, but now that I type it, 4 minutes isn't that much. On the other hand, I set a new PR (under race conditions) by 16 minutes. That seems like a lot. I'll have to keep thinking about it. The weather was a bit warmer than I'd like (60-65), and it was a little breezy, but that is not an excuse. That may cost me, what, like 1-2 minutes. The first mile was too fast as it always is, but not by much. 6:52. I was hoping for 7 minute pace, so I backed off, and the second mile was 7:10. Perfect. Third mile was 7:16, which was a little too slow, but we did go up a hill. Mile 4 was 7:06. Cumulative at this point was 28:24. I could tell that 7-minute pace wasn't going to be realistic, so I changed to have a goal of 7:08-7:10 or so, which would put me at about 1:33, which is what I predicted in registration. I don't remember all my splits exactly, but they went something like this: Mile 5 - 7:16 (35:40) 6 - 7:20 (43:00) 7 - 7:15 (50:15) 8 - 7:22 (57:37) 9 - 7:23 (1:05:00) 10 - 7:30 (1:12:30) 11 - 7:19 (1:19:49) 12 - 7:49 (1:27:38) (big hill) 13 - 7:37 (1:35:15) final time 1:35:57 I could tell I was slowing badly at about mile 8. I was just hanging on as best as I could from there. I really hit the wall at about mile 11. Obviously, I am a little disappointed that I couldn't keep up 7-minute pace, but I'm OK. Overall, it was a good run, and I don't think I could have done much better (didn't leave anything on the table). Besides, if I hit all my goals now, I'd have nothing to shoot for next time! 16/118 AG 78/878 men 92/2461 overall

  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 5
Looking good, Billy Ray!...Feeling good, Lewis! I went downtown to get my "packet" for the half for tomorrow. Registration was at the Convention Center, same as for the Hy-Vee Tri. There was a sports & fitness expo going on, which I think mostly consisted of local shops with stands selling shoes, gear, food, etc. Registration was very easy - no lines, no pre-race meetings like for Hy-Vee. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the pre-race stuff back in June, considering it was the first time any of us had done a tri. But this time it was very smooth. I could have been in and out in literally two minutes if I wanted. One of the booths was for Hy-Vee, so I stopped by. If you fill out a survey, you get your choice of a hat or t-shirt. The hat was the same one we got for competing. So I got the shirt. It's the black shirt with the "swim bike run" Hy-Vee logo. I also asked about the USAT membership, to see if there was a discount. The guys didn't know, but they said they'd call me when they find out. I think I'll get up around 6:15 or 6:30 tomorrow, have a powerbar and some gatorade and head out. I'm parking at the hospital ramp, so I won't have to worry about finding a spot. It's about 3/4 of a mile to the start (8AM), so I'll just use that as my warmup.

  • Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Sick: 1

robfornoff's Training Log

 October 2007 
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31