• 1h 44m 43s
  • 12.00 miles
  • 08m 44s /Mi

The first half of the run went fine. The second half was predictably hot and humid, as it has been every day for the past month. It was already 80 degrees and HI of over 90 by the time I finished running at about 8 AM. I really started to tire out on the last 2 miles, probably because I wasn't drinking enough water. I only stopped back at the house once for a 20 oz. bottle of gatorade, which was not nearly enough.

I'm still holding out hope for a miraculously cool day on August 21, but I doubt it'll happen. I think we'll just have to be prepared for another sweltering day and try to get through it the best we can.

  • 45m
  • 14.88 miles
  • 19.84 Mi/hr

Easy recovery ride on the trainer between two hard running days.

  • 55m
  • 5.10 miles
  • -----

We went to Pekin to pick up the kids from Camp Grandma and spend the weekend. So I got out to the old high school track for a good speed workout!

800m repeats

1 mile warmup
4x100 strides/sprints (at around 15-16 seconds, so that was kind of fun...Garmin shows top speed at 16.6MPH. I should have really opened it up to see what I could have had as a top speed!)

6x800m with 3 minutes rest between


I was planning to 8 of these and a 1 mile cooldown, but I really had to go to the bathroom, and the stadium's bathrooms were all locked. Too bad. Or maybe was really starting to get hot, and I might have been pushing myself too much like the last time I was out on this track. :)

  • 1h 18m 06s
  • 24.75 miles
  • 19.01 Mi/hr

It was only 73 degrees, but it must have been 100% humidity because my glasses kept fogging up during the ride. I had to keep wiping them with my (sweaty) fingers to try to dry them, which obviously doesn't work well.

  • 30m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 07m 30s /Mi

  • 2h 23m 50s
  • 47.07 miles
  • 19.64 Mi/hr

Started out on a hot, humid day. I noticed that there were more bikes than usual on the trail, especially for a midweek, midday, hot day ride. At about mile 9, I figured out why - I was heading into the RAGBRAI route!

It was fascinating to see thousands of bikes of all different shapes and sizes and forms go by. However, what started as a fascination, turned into a curiosity, and then, as I continued on the trail, a nuisance, and eventually a hazard. A lot of the back-in-the-pack RAGBRAI riders didn't really care to share the trail with people coming the other way, or didn't seem to notice that there could be 2-way traffic. And I know most people just do RAGBRAI for the fun of it, which is great. But still - you don't have to ride 4-across on a 10-foot trail.

On the way back, I switched over to a country road for about 8-9 miles to avoid some of the heavy bike traffic. Then I just kind of hopped onto the road they were riding on. I guess I snuck onto RAGBRAI for a little while. Haha.

Day off between a long run and a long ride. I could have managed a swim today, but it was a very busy day at work (6th day in a row on call), and I had to mow the lawn when I got home, so I kind of ran out of time.

robfornoff's Training Log

 August 2011 
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31