Silver Spring,MD 
I played hooky with the wife today.  No workouts today too.  Just needed a mental health day.  Back to work tomorrow. 
Run
  • 48m 06s
  • 5.03 miles
  • 09m 34s /Mi

I was supposed to do "45 minutes at RPE3, then the last 15minutes at RPE 7-8." Silly me forgot to look at my email before I left to go run so I only did an easy run. Well, it wasn't that easy. FULL of Killer hills and ice. Yep, ICE!

Bike
  • 1h 58m 09s
  • 30.58 miles
  • 15.53 Mi/hr

Steady effort at RPE 3.

Wind sucks.  That's all I have to say.  Wind sucks.  Blah.

Run
  • 30m
  • 3.28 miles
  • 09m 09s /Mi

30min with 3x20sec. accelerations.

Well, I made up for the lack of sleep last night.  11 hours!!!  Definitely a good thing.

Anyway, has to be one of the best 30 minute runs I've ever done outside of a race.  I really didn't push it and I did almost a 9:00 pace.  Sure, that's with the accelerations and all, but even with those and the expected slow downs afterwards, still a great pace.

Figured something out about my stride during that hilly brick earlier in the week that finally kicked in.  I've been trying to run a little more upright (I have a tendency to look down and haunch a little bit sometimes) so I've been trying the "Kenyan" running.  Up right.  Chest out.  Arms up.  Pretty stride.  Etc.  Well I didn't feel like anything was improving.  Then during the brick on Tuesday, I did something that caught my eye.  I leaned forward a little bit and my pace improved dramatically without putting any more effort into my stride.  So I started doing some experiments.  DOH!  I've been leaning back when running.  Idiot.  You know better than that.  So today, during the run, I concentrated on form, again.  This time with a slight forward lean, or at least straight upright.  Anything but leaning backwards. 

It made a HUGE difference.  I did that pace and felt great.  I would say RPE was only about a 5 at most.  I wasn't winded.  It took me no time at all to recover and get my HR back down to 120 and below.  I'm hoping I'm making a break through.  One more week and we will know if it truly has made a difference.  I think I'm becoming a runner.  Or at least really starting to enjoy it.  Who'dathunkit?!?!?

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 5 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 11 Overall Workout: 5
Swim
  • 31m 46s
  • 1280.16 meters
  • 02m 29s /100 meters

speed day
wu: 250 continuous.
main: 10 x 100 EBEH (each 100 = 25Easy, 25Build, 25Easy, 25 Hard)
cd: 150 easy

What a horrible nights sleep. Ugh. Finally got to sleep after 1 but then it was the off and on kind of crap. Meh. Oh well, didn't seem to affect the swim this morning. At least that went well. Hopefully will get the ride in tonight BEFORE it starts to snow.

That's right ladies and gents, snow. Again. I'm hoping, since we are on the southern end of this system, we will get little if any, but I doubt it. They are predicting anywhere from 4-9 inches. WTF?!?!?! Seriously. This is one of the few drawbacks of living in the Midwest. Probably the only one I really truly dislike.

Other than that, I have to leave early today and I have tomorrow off from work. I guess there are a few things to look forward to. But I will have to work my tail off to get all my workd done before I split.

Added later.  I'm too tired to do the spin.  I'm exhausted.  The 4 hours of sleep finally caught up to me.  Besides, 30 minutes wont get me too much, and it was only a recovery spin. 

• Health data: Sleep: 1 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 4 Overall Workout: 3
Swim
  • 29m 47s
  • 1097.28 meters
  • 02m 43s /100 meters

Speed day
wu: 250 continuous.
main: 4 sets of (4x50 fast with 50 kick recovery). Rest 1min after each set.
cd: 150 easy

Swim felt really good tonight. I'll put the individual splits in later. Problem is, now I can't sleep. Was tired at 10. Crawled in bed. Heart rate shot up. Mind took off. Nuts. So now it is 11 and I'm wide friggen awake. Doh. Just watchin a little Robot Chicken.

I did forget to talk about something that happened at the gym last night.  So I posted once, a long time ago either here or on a thread on the forums about a girl at the gym that I find a lot of inspiration from.  She is technically a quadriplegic.   She has some use of her arms, but not much at all.  Anyway, sometime last year, I was fortunate enough to watch her take some of her longest steps with a walker.  She walked approximately 150 feet non stop.  She had never gone that far before and I got to witness it.  Well, she was at the gym last night and she was actually pushing herself around the track in her wheel chair.  That's new.  She now has the strength to not only hold herself up, but to also push herself.  I continue to be amazed by her.  Her strength inside and out.  Her determination.  Her drive.  There have been many times when I've been in pain training, and I think of the pain and exhaustion she has gone through and I keep pushing.  She truly is an inspiration. 

Bike
  • 1h 00m 05s
  • 20.00 miles
  • 19.97 Mi/hr
Run
  • 48m 05s
  • 5.61 miles
  • 08m 34s /Mi
Great hilly brick. Just great. Felt really good.  Only problem I had was that I COULD have done it outside.  I checked weather.com to see what it was supposed to do hourly right before I left.  They said that it was going to drizzle and then slowly get heavier as the night went on.  Did that happen?  NO.  Dry as a friggen bone as I was ridding the damn stationary looking outside.  Oh well.  I still got a great workout in.  And it felt so good at the speed I was going.  My stride is really starting to come together.  I'm really looking forward to the Shuffle.  I've got to trim off 5+ minutes off my time from last year.  Keep your fingers crossed kiddies.  ;)

crowny2's Training Log

March 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance
Time
  • July's totals