Silver Spring,MD 
Bike
  • 45m 19s
  • 11.12 miles
  • 14.72 Mi/hr

Bike Base
Endurance
Easy spin for 45 minutes in small chain ring. No HRM, but keep the effort very easy.

Active recovery day.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3
Swim
  • 52m 48s
  • 1920.24 meters
  • 02m 45s /100 meters

Form Swim
Speed
WU: 300 & then 4x50 catch up stroke on 20"rest.
MS: 8x50, 4x100, 2x200, all on 20" rest. Hold T-Pace - 5". Then 4x100 kick, on 15" rest.
CD: 200

Bike
  • 1h 00m 29s
  • 16.89 miles
  • 16.76 Mi/hr

Bike Strength
Strength
60' ride on a hilly course. Push the uphills and recover on the downhills. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise.

Run
  • 32m 26s
  • 3.56 miles
  • 09m 07s /Mi

Strength
Race Day Specific
Off the bike, start out easy - get your bearings and pick up the pace gradually. After 10' you should be at race pace - remember to hydrate and run even paced. Try to run race pace for at least 15-25 minutes.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3
Bike
  • 1h 28m 17s
  • 23.04 miles
  • 15.66 Mi/hr

Bike Base
Endurance
Ride on a flat course, just spinning easy. Keep HR in Zone 1-2, no higher than mid Z2.

3 flats in one day!!!!!!  WTF!?!?!?!

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 5 Hours slept: 9 Overall Workout: 2
Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 1h 00m

Recovery day, and another day to wax philosophical. Or maybe just a chance for a little reflection.

So many topics to hit today, but I will focus on racing and training, since this is a triathlon blog. :)

The last time I did this I talked about visualization. About seeing myself doing the race or workout. Doing it well. Doing it the way I'm supposed to be doing it.

That is not the only mental part of racing/ training. It is not just seeing yourself doing something well, but it is also adjusting your mental picture about what that race or workout is going to look like.

We all see ourselves doing the race, with no clouds, only a very slight breeze (that is always a tailwind on the bike), on perfect roads, with no bumps or ruts, and at about 75-80 degrees and little to no humidity. Yeah. Right. Like those days ALWAYS happen. Heck, do they EVER happen? Well, at least here in Iowa.

Things get in the way. Weather happens. Mechanical issues happen. SOMETHING happens that is not perfect. That is not expected. That is, many times, completely out of our control. And having the right mindset, the right mental attitude, can help save that race or that workout.

Recently, Waterdogg had a serious issue on his IM race. Basically, his bike fell apart. Literally fell to pieces. Well, at least the rear deraileur did. If he went into the race thinking, everything "will be perfect and I will have the best race ever", I have a feeling he would have quit right then and there, and he almost did. But something small, in the back of his mind, changed that. And he changed his outlook. It was no longer gonig to be the perfect race. But he was still in the race. And he finished! Time be damned.

I've read other race reports where something has happened. A bike issue. Bad weather. A crash. Fatigue or cramps. A bad leg out of the three, normally the swim. And more often than not, what I've read is about the person stepping back from the issue mentally, saying to themselves "Ok, well, I can't change what has happened, but I can change what I do about it". I believe the phrase is adapt, improvise and overcome. A good friend of mine, who served in the Army, uses that all the time. I too have taken that as one of my many mantra's when it comes to racing and training. I think I'm up to 3 now. :)

Beginner Triathlete has great tools to get your body ready for a race. They have pre-designed plans that take all the guess work out of what to do each day to train your body. They have video's to answer all the questions of "how do I" or "when do I". They have a great forum and support groups that answer all the little questions that people think of, many times at the last minute. ALL of these tools, help you prepare your body, and partly your mind, for race day .

But the one tool YOU have to work on, every day, every workout, every race, that can negate everything you have done, is your mental outlook. All the training and preparation in the world won't help you do your best, be your best, if you don't think you can do it, or if something happens to get in the way. And trust me. Something ALWAYS gets in the way. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

Train safe and race your race. Have a great weekend.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8.5
Run
  • 1h 11m 46s
  • 7.31 miles
  • 09m 49s /Mi

Run Base
Endurance
Run on a flat course or treadmill. Keep HR in Zone 1-2, no higher than the top of Z2. Think about running like Kenyan - smooth and efficient! Stretch when done and add in Core 1, 2 or 3.

Swim
  • 1h 05m 47s
  • 2651.76 meters
  • 02m 29s /100 meters

Form
WU: 400 easy. Then 'swim golf' = 6 x 50 on 15" rest & count strokes. What combination of time and strokes gives you the lowest 'score?' (Ex: 43 strokes + 45" = 88).

MS: Swim 15 x 100 on :20 rest:
#1-5 - focus on your CATCH
#6-10 focus on your PULL
#11-15 focus on your FINISH

Now swim another 6x50 swim golf and see if there is a difference in strokes or time. Last set is 4 x 50 kick (20") moderate.

CD: 200 easy alternating 50 pull, 50 swim.

Slept like crap. Shoulder is killing me. Kept waking me up all night. Really hurt after the run, hopefully the swim tonight will work it out. That and some pain killer.

Quick background: I have dislocated my right shoulder twice. Once in a football game when I was about 14 and the second time at a Metallica concert when I was about 20. I have a very sloppy right shoulder. The muscles on the outside are nice and strong, but those on the inside are stretched out beyond belief.

Two years ago, before I started training, my shoulder would hurt constantly. Felt as if my arm was falling off the side of my body. Then I started swimming. It hasn't hurt since. Till last night. I'm hoping it is only temporary, and caused by the sudden dramatic change in weather.

I hope. Damn, this hurts.

----------------8:00PM------------------------

Shoulder hurts but nowhere near as much.  I think the swim helped work it out.  That and a massive POP in the middle of the day.  It is still tender, but I've regained full range of motion.  I'll have to keep an eye on it. 

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 3
Bike
  • 1h 10m 38s
  • 19.97 miles
  • 16.96 Mi/hr

Bike Hill Repeats
Strength
WU: 15'
MS: Then 10x2' up a hill at 65-70 RPMS. Recover on the downhills. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise.
CD: 15'

I wish there were some hills around here so I could do them instead of Grind, which is what I had to do instead.  Oh well.  Still a decent workout.  Not great.  Just decent.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 9 Overall Workout: 3
Swim
  • -----
  • 2011.68 meters
  • -----

Pacing
LT
WU: 400
MS: 10x50, sprint first 1/2 lap, on 15s rest. 10x100 on 20s rest. First 25 is hard, then 75 cruise.
CD: 300 easy

Run
  • 50m 01s
  • 5.53 miles
  • 09m 02s /Mi

Raise LT
Race Specific
WU: 10'
MS: 4x5' at LT w/3' recovery.
CD: 10'

Did the run this morning and will swim after work.

I really like this run workout. Love doing that pace work. Continues to remind me what it feels like to be at that pace so I'm ready for race day. Yeah, I know. That's what it is designed to do. Guess that is why I like it so much. Can't wait to actually down load the data tonight to see what the individual times were like.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7.5

crowny2's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
Time