Silver Spring,MD 
Swim
  • 31m
  • 1280.16 meters
  • 02m 25s /100 meters

Form
WU: 200 easy. Then 'swim golf' = 6 x 50 on 15" rest & count strokes. What combination of time and strokes gives you the lowest 'score?' (Ex: 43 strokes + 45" = 88).

MS: Swim a moderate effort using the same stroke count in WU set. 5 x 100 (10") moderate. 4 x 50 kick (20") moderate.

CD: 200 easy alternating 50 pull, 50 swim.

Awesome swim. 

I started to try to accelerate my entry stroke.  It worked.  The 5 100's I did were awesome.  Each one was 1:44 or better.  And it was definitely a moderate effort, not all out.   And I had quite a bit in the tank when done.  Short workout, but a good one.  Great confidence builder.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 5
Bike
  • 40m 01s
  • 11.87 miles
  • 17.80 Mi/hr

Big Gear
Power
WU: 10'
MS: 8x1 minute sprint, with 2' recovery.
CD: 5'

So I had a nice compliment last night at the pool.  Beth and I were swimming, sharing a lane.  Speedy (that is our nickname for him) was in the deep lane next to us.  Anyway, Beth finished early and went to the locker room.  Speedy and I finished at the same time.  We go into the locker room together and get to chatting. First time I've actually talked to him.

Anyway, long story short, he tells me I have a very nice pull and that for someone that has only been swimming for 1.5 years, I look very good in the water.  He does give me a pointer that I need to accelerate my hand into the water, but other than that he said I looked very good.  WOW!  He has been swimming for 40+ years and is super fast.  His easy swims average 1:30-1:35/100!!!!  Yeah.  He is that fast.  But that made me feel good. 

Going to a Fire match tonight.  They play Everton from England.  Probably going to wear my Liverpool gear just in case there are any Blue Noses there.  :)

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 9 Overall Workout: 2
Swim
  • 53m 04s
  • 2057.40 meters
  • 02m 35s /100 meters

Pacing
Speed
WU: 500
MS:
5x100 on 10" rest
10x50 on 30" rest
15x25 on 45" rest. These are all done at an all out effort.
Last set is 5x50 kick on 10" rest.
CD: 100

Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 6.58 miles
  • 09m 07s /Mi

Raise LT
Race Specific
WU: 10'
MS: 5x5' at LT w/3' recovery.
CD: 10'

Bad run.

Swim tonight.

---------------8:00------------

Swim was better tonight.  Although I think the rest intervals are wrong so I switched them.  0:45 on a 25 seemed a bit long.  

Going to bike in the morning because I'm going to go see the Fire play Everton tomorrow night.  Looking forward to it. 

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 2
Bike
  • 45m 19s
  • 11.12 miles
  • 14.72 Mi/hr

Bike Base
Endurance
Easy spin for 45 minutes in small chain ring. No HRM, but keep the effort very easy.

Active recovery day.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3
Swim
  • 52m 48s
  • 1920.24 meters
  • 02m 45s /100 meters

Form Swim
Speed
WU: 300 & then 4x50 catch up stroke on 20"rest.
MS: 8x50, 4x100, 2x200, all on 20" rest. Hold T-Pace - 5". Then 4x100 kick, on 15" rest.
CD: 200

Bike
  • 1h 00m 29s
  • 16.89 miles
  • 16.76 Mi/hr

Bike Strength
Strength
60' ride on a hilly course. Push the uphills and recover on the downhills. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise.

Run
  • 32m 26s
  • 3.56 miles
  • 09m 07s /Mi

Strength
Race Day Specific
Off the bike, start out easy - get your bearings and pick up the pace gradually. After 10' you should be at race pace - remember to hydrate and run even paced. Try to run race pace for at least 15-25 minutes.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3
Bike
  • 1h 28m 17s
  • 23.04 miles
  • 15.66 Mi/hr

Bike Base
Endurance
Ride on a flat course, just spinning easy. Keep HR in Zone 1-2, no higher than mid Z2.

3 flats in one day!!!!!!  WTF!?!?!?!

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 5 Hours slept: 9 Overall Workout: 2
Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 1h 00m

Recovery day, and another day to wax philosophical. Or maybe just a chance for a little reflection.

So many topics to hit today, but I will focus on racing and training, since this is a triathlon blog. :)

The last time I did this I talked about visualization. About seeing myself doing the race or workout. Doing it well. Doing it the way I'm supposed to be doing it.

That is not the only mental part of racing/ training. It is not just seeing yourself doing something well, but it is also adjusting your mental picture about what that race or workout is going to look like.

We all see ourselves doing the race, with no clouds, only a very slight breeze (that is always a tailwind on the bike), on perfect roads, with no bumps or ruts, and at about 75-80 degrees and little to no humidity. Yeah. Right. Like those days ALWAYS happen. Heck, do they EVER happen? Well, at least here in Iowa.

Things get in the way. Weather happens. Mechanical issues happen. SOMETHING happens that is not perfect. That is not expected. That is, many times, completely out of our control. And having the right mindset, the right mental attitude, can help save that race or that workout.

Recently, Waterdogg had a serious issue on his IM race. Basically, his bike fell apart. Literally fell to pieces. Well, at least the rear deraileur did. If he went into the race thinking, everything "will be perfect and I will have the best race ever", I have a feeling he would have quit right then and there, and he almost did. But something small, in the back of his mind, changed that. And he changed his outlook. It was no longer gonig to be the perfect race. But he was still in the race. And he finished! Time be damned.

I've read other race reports where something has happened. A bike issue. Bad weather. A crash. Fatigue or cramps. A bad leg out of the three, normally the swim. And more often than not, what I've read is about the person stepping back from the issue mentally, saying to themselves "Ok, well, I can't change what has happened, but I can change what I do about it". I believe the phrase is adapt, improvise and overcome. A good friend of mine, who served in the Army, uses that all the time. I too have taken that as one of my many mantra's when it comes to racing and training. I think I'm up to 3 now. :)

Beginner Triathlete has great tools to get your body ready for a race. They have pre-designed plans that take all the guess work out of what to do each day to train your body. They have video's to answer all the questions of "how do I" or "when do I". They have a great forum and support groups that answer all the little questions that people think of, many times at the last minute. ALL of these tools, help you prepare your body, and partly your mind, for race day .

But the one tool YOU have to work on, every day, every workout, every race, that can negate everything you have done, is your mental outlook. All the training and preparation in the world won't help you do your best, be your best, if you don't think you can do it, or if something happens to get in the way. And trust me. Something ALWAYS gets in the way. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

Train safe and race your race. Have a great weekend.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8.5

crowny2's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
Time