• 15.93 Mi/hr

Commute home

Run
  • 47m 01s
  • 5.22 miles
  • 09m 01s /Mi

Raise LT
Race Specific
10 minute warm-up, start out slowly and build to Zone 2, after 7 minutes do 4x30 second accelerations building each repeat faster. Take at least 1:00 between each to recover and prepare yourself for the next acceleration.

Main set is 3 x 5 minutes at LT, #1 should have you ending your 5 minutes at just about mid-Zone 3. #2 should see you finishing right at Zone 4a. #3 should have you finishing right at Z5. Between repeats you will get a rest interval of 3 minutes. The 3 minutes should be easy enough to allow your heart rate to come back down to Zone 2.

After your 3rd repeat you will run a 10 minute cool down and stretch for at least 10 minutes. Stretch when done and add in Core 1, 2 or 3.

Was supposed to run this morning. Could not fall asleep last night so bagged it and will do it tonight when I get home. Kind of a mini brick.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7
Bike #1
  • 21m 47s
  • 5.44 miles
  • 14.98 Mi/hr

Commute to work. Woot!

Bike #2
  • 19m 59s
  • 5.44 miles
  • 16.33 Mi/hr

And commute home.

So this week's weather is supposed to be beautiful, almost all week. So I'm going to try to ride to work every day this week except Thursday when I'm going downtown for an OWS. My pool is closed. Oh well.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 8.5
Bike
  • 1h 43m
  • 19.25 miles
  • 11.21 Mi/hr

Recovery
Very Easy
Easy spin for 45 minutes in small chain ring. No HRM, but keep the effort very easy.

Stretched it into a very long easy (relatively) ride with Beth on the Fox River Valley Trail out West.  Only thing that maybe pushed my HR up (rode nakesd) was a mile long hill that had me all the way down in granny gear pedaling like a madman to get up it (averaged about 8 mph going up), but other than that, just an easy pedal day.  And Beth made it up too, her first time.  I'm so proud of her.  Wish that hill was closer to here.  I'd love to hit that bad boy on some repeats.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 5 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 9 Overall Workout: 4
Bike
  • 1h 01m 08s
  • 17.11 miles
  • 16.79 Mi/hr

Bike Strength
Strength
60' ride on a hilly course. Push the uphills and recover on the downhills. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise.

Run
  • 44m 55s
  • 5.33 miles
  • 08m 26s /Mi

Strength
Race Day Specific
Off the bike, start out easy - get your bearings and pick up the pace gradually. After 10' you should be at race pace - remember to hydrate and run even paced. Try to run race pace for at least 25-35 minutes.

This run felt really, really good.  I probably didn't push it quite as fast as I will in a 5k, but it is definitely a pace I can keep for a 10k.  I know I can.  It felt really, really good.  I'm getting excited for the coming races. 

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 5 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 9 Overall Workout: 5
Swim
  • 39m 43s
  • 1600.20 meters
  • 02m 29s /100 meters

Speed
WU: 300
MS:
5x50 (sprint 1st 25) - on 20" rest
4x:
- 2x50 Z3 (15" rest)
- 1x100 Z3 (60" rest)
- sprint a 50 Z5 (15" rest)
CD: 200

Nice little swim this morning.  Nothing special.  Other than that, it is Friday.

Wait, did I just say it is Friday.  IT IS!!  WOOT! 

That means Beth and I have a date tonight.  Sweet!!!  Date night it is.  Awesome.  And I think we are actually going to take it semi easy this weekend.  I don't think we have anywhere to go or anything to do.  Just workout and relax.  Love it.  Yeah me!  :)

Run
  • 54m 01s
  • 5.54 miles
  • 09m 45s /Mi

Technically tomorrow is my recovery day, but I'm switching today and tomorrow. Beth is going to go swim with me in the morning and then I'll run at lunch time. It is a fairly easy day tomorrow anyway. Not quite active recovery easy, but compared to some of these workouts I've been doing, pretty darn close.

The power is back on at work, thankfully, so now it is catch up time. Ooof.

I'm seeing how the mental toughness thing is going to be more difficult than I thought. I'm coming to the end of the season (about a month left) and there are days where it is getting hard to actually want to go out and train. I didn't have this last year and I haven't had it up to this point this year (not counting HAVING to do the indoor trainer during the winter, THAT is just dreading that piece of torture machinery). It is a new feeling that I've had to work through.

However, I have found that once I'm out doing that workout (running seems to be the worst) I'm fine. So that is the tool I use to combat those feelings. I file that feeling, in the back of my head, and when I have a feeling of not wanting to do a workout, I pull up those feelings of accomplishment, of pride at a job/workout well done, and more importantly, of the finish line feeling. Using those tools help me quickly battle the little voices that say "stay in bed" or "just watch the TV". They quickly retreat to the darkest recesses.

So I guess, once again, the mental part of training is equally as important as the physical part. So work on it. Before, during and after a workout or a race. Train your mind just as hard as you train your body, and it will pay you back 10-fold.

----------------7:30 PM----------------------

Yeah, so I went for my run for tomorrow tonight and I'm glad I did.  Two days ago, I went on a run with three hydration bottles and came back with two.  I had a feeling as to where it was so I thought I would go on my run to see if I could find it.  I did!!!  In the trash can on the trail.  THAT was lucky.  And to top it off, it was one of the best feeling, semi long slow runs I've done in a long time.  It.  Felt.  Great.   

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 9.5
Bike
  • 36m 22s
  • 10.45 miles
  • 16.97 Mi/hr

Big Gear
Power
WU: 5'
MS:
4x30" sprint - with 1' recovery
4x1' sprints - standing 2' recovery
4x30" sprint again with 1' recovery
CD: 5'

Yeah.... ummm..... OW!  That workout hurts.  Particularly the middle set of 4x1 sprints.  Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow.

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!  :) 

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 8.5 Overall Workout: 4

crowny2's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
Time
  • August's totals