Silver Spring,MD 
  • 6h 05m 46s
  • 74.33 miles
  • 12.19 Mi/hr


  • 7h 22m 31s
  • 110.11 miles
  • 15.10 Mi/hr


  • 2h 49m 04s
  • 40.63 miles
  • 14.42 Mi/hr


  • 5h 53m 16s
  • 78.57 miles
  • 13.34 Mi/hr


  • 2h 16m 19s
  • 34.52 miles
  • 15.19 Mi/hr

RAGBRAI Day 2. Corning to Greenfield

Since we went so far yesterday, we got to sleep in just a bit this morning.  And our host even had breakfast for us.  But of course, we were more interested in the coffee.  So necessary.  :)

Today, we didn't even get on the route till 10:30.  Which was nice after such a hard day the day before.  And it was a short one today.  Only 35 miles.  Everyone else, though, had to suffer through the rough hills that morning, coming into Corning, where we only had to go through 1/2 of the course.  Would wind up being a pretty good idea.

So the weather wasn't as nice today.  The day continued to get cloudy as it progressed.  We stopped a little more often today, and one of the stopping points turned out to be quite interesting.  Williamson, which is quite small, opened up their American Legion for beer.  While we were there, they brought out a foam machine, like the ones you see at raves, but they didn't start it till we were ready to leave.  This was also when Andy saw it.  You would have thought that it was the best thing in the world.  Most of us had already taken off, but we found out later that he had basically taken a dive into the mound of foam with a big ole grin on his face.  Then hopped on the bike and took off.  He was shedding suds and others on the route couldn't figure out what he had been into.  Must have been a hilarious site. 

Into Fontanelle and we stop for a few more beers.  Heck, why not!  Short day, lets play!  Unfortunately, it is now also starting to rain.  It would do this for the rest of the day off and on.  We finally make it into Greenfield and meet up with Laurie.  The girls go shower and while we are waiting on them, some of us start to water the corn.  Again.  An older woman comes shooting out of a truck camper behind us yelling "wait, wait, I want to get a picture of the Children of the Corn!!!".  Then proceeds to fall flat on her face, narrowly missing the vans back bumper with her forhead.  Come to find out, the woman is plastered.  I mean absolutely bombed.  And she continues to talk about wanting to take a photo of the children of the corn.  So Kiley obliges, goes back in and comes out so the woman can get her shot.  We continued to laugh about it the rest of the night. 

So we went into down town Greenfield for some eats and ducked in and out of th rain the entire time.  Andy had his first corn dog ever ("I WANT TO EAT YOU!") and wasn't too impressed.  Dennis and I had some pie and unfortunately the crust on the bottom left a LOT to be desired. 

Back to the truck we went for the 24 mile trip out to our host for the night.  Most of us piled in the back, in the dark.  when we got there, we realized we were sleeping inside for the night.  Yipeee.  No sleeping in the rain (although that wouldn't be the case a few days on).

Showered up, ate some more (which would be the running joke, bike, eat, sleep, repeat) and finally bed down after the weather report.  Tomorrow is going to be another long day and we needed our sleep.

Day 2 in the books and almost 128 miles in the tank. 

  • 6h 28m 14s
  • 93.41 miles
  • 14.44 Mi/hr

RAGBRAI Day 1.  Council Bluffs to Corning

John (jdwright) and I camped near the expo while Dennis (BeCivil) and his friend Andy stayed at a hotel close by.  Jeanette (Nette213) stayed with a friend of hers and Laurie (TheSchwamm) stayed with Kiley (lvthgame).

Didn't get much sleep because of the concert and then all the drunk people around.  But got enough.  Woke up bright and early and started to get ready to lay down some serious mileage. Everyone finally arrived and we took a few photos for posterity (one is coming your way marma, for the website). 

I won't be writing much about the actual riding because, frankly, it would bore you.  But this first day was going to be a long one.  We were staying in a town 30+ miles further than the actual host town.  Three of us (Dennis, Andy and I) wound up going 93+ miles for the day.  Blowing away my previous one day best by almost 30 miles. 

More than anything, this day was about getting our legs under us and starting to get to know each other.  We also started to figure out how we were going to ride as a group.  As a pack, or as individuals.  It wound up being a little of both.  More often than not, we would start out as a group, coming out of a stop town and then break out into groups of 2 or 3 and then sometimes just being singles, depending on the pace, the size of the hills and if anyone had to water the corn (yes, that is how we relieved ourselves ).

This day would prove to be the only day we would get a decent warm up before we had to hit a hill.  We were on the road almost an hour before the first one came and it was quite a long one.  Every day after this, the hill was almost immediately outside or sometimes inside the host town.

By the time we made it to the first meeting town, John was having some gastro issues.  He eventually would hop in the van with Laurie.  Good thing too.  The remaining five of us road on to the host town for the night and only stopped for a few minutes.  It was then that we realized we still had quite a way to go for the day (30+ miles) and not a lot of time to do it in. 

Long story short, us three guys took off, because we knew we had to book it, and Jeanette and Kiley took a shorter route, which way by no means easier, we would later find out. 

2-3 hours later, Dennis, Andy and I finally finished up in Corning.  I was shot.  The hills had conquered me and I walked for what would be the only time the entire week.  There was a short little hill we had to rise but the grade was more than I could handle.  I tried to get up out of the saddle and got two strokes in when my legs said forget it.  So I pulled over and walked the remaining 50 meters to the top where the van was.  We had seen John and Laurie pass us the other direction and I knew they were going to pick up the girls.  They had taken a wrong turn and were also shot.  They were all waiting for us to go to the camp site.

We then all piled into the back of the van for the short 2-3 mile trip out.  I took what would be one of the loveliest showers.  Rain water.  It was cold but mercy if felt good.  We then ate to our hearts content, played with the dogs and watched a beautiful sunset in front of a roaring fire outside. 

Soon it was time for bed and it didn't take me long to cash out.  I was out like a light and day 1 was under my belt.  (Pictures to come soon)

I'm almost as nervous about going out to Iowa for RAGBRAI as I am for some of my races.   This is going to be fun.  :)  Leaving for the plane in about 10 minutes.  Have a great week everyone.

crowny2's Training Log

 July 2009 
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 
  • November's totals
  • October's totals
  • 2021 totals
  • 2020 totals