Silver Spring,MD 
Bike
  • 47m 15s
  • 17.45 miles
  • 22.16 Mi/hr

ABD Fall Fling Road Race

So the today was the road race.  Looks like there are more racers today.  It is essentially 2 3/4 laps on a 6 mile course. And off we went.

I had ridden this course already so I knew a little about what to expect.  The first lap was nothing but everyone getting used to the course and to each other.  A few guys would make a mini-attack but would never get out too far and we would wind them in fairly quickly.  We also found out there were a few that were happy to just sit about 2-3 riders back but never pull.  Ugh.  But that is going to happen.

We crossed the finish line and they rang the bell saying one more lap!?!?  WTF?!?!  They screwed up.  But one guy took their word for it and about 1/2 way through the next lap took off.  We let him.  We knew it was a mistake and he would burn himself out.  His fault AND their fault.  We crossed the line again, for the last lap and I was sitting in 5th.  I was feeling good thinking if I could just stay up in the front I should be ok.

We went and hit the first major turn on the last lap, heading East and that is when all hell broke lose.  First, we hit that turn at about 29 mph and then they thought they would up the tempo.  Next thing I knew we were at 32-33 mph and I was starting to lose ground.  I look up and there is a gap and it is starting to grow.  CRAP!  This gap grows anymore and it is going to be a bitch when we turn South and go into the strong 13-15mph headwind!  And that is exactly what happened.  There were about 4-5 of us that dropped off the back, and by the time we finally turned back West to finish up, we were easy 1/8-1/4 mile behind the lead group and the damage was done.

My lungs were screaming.  My legs were burning.  And I crossed the finish line with a smile on my face.  I still had a blast.

30th out of 36.  And I learned a lot.  Again.

I love this stuff.

Bike
  • 24m 58s
  • 9.58 miles
  • 23.02 Mi/hr

ABD Fall Fling Crit #1

This was my first big Crit.  There was about 30 of us.  It was a 0.8 mile course, slow lazy corners with only one that was slightly tight and it wasn't really bad.  10 laps total.

I didn't try to sprint for the premium at the 1/2 way point.  I wanted to see if I could stay up front the whole time.  About the third lap, one guy, on my left, dropped his water bottle.  We were about 2-3 riders back from the front.  I immediately yelled out bottle, and the peleton split like the red sea.  Idiot.

I continued to stay up front, almost the entire race.  Once or twice, I dropped back a bit, but I would work my way, back through the pack, and usually use the tail wind, on the home stretch, to catch back up and then, on the hard turn, I would actually peddle through it instead of coast through it and it would allow me to slingshot through it to make up some ground.

They finally ring the last lap bell.  The guy off the front (who had been there for at least two laps and also only had ONE ARM!!!), we weren't going to catch him because nobody would pull.

Coming on the second to last curve, I hit the DAMN BOTTLE!!!!  I almost bit it and I also lost about 2 mph!  CRAP.  So I dropped a gear or two, stood up out of the saddle and pushed as hard as I could.  I had lost a lot, but made up a lot too.  I finished up 18 out of 28 and if I hadn't hit that bottle, i would have gotten higher.

And I had a ton of fun.  I'm really enjoying this.

Swim
  • 32m 51s
  • 1200.00 meters
  • 02m 44s /100 meters

300 wu
3 x 100 - 50 kick, 50 swim
2 x 100 - negative split
400 - 150 steady, 50 fast x2

Funny that I think that this workout is a lazy swim.  Used to be a time when that would have been a LONG swim.  But it was short.  Which is fine. I'm still just trying to maintain till I start my off season training in earnest in October. 

Bike
  • 47m 59s
  • 15.78 miles
  • 19.73 Mi/hr

I pushed it a little more today.  Right from the get go.  No warm up, just go.  Felt good.  Just wish there weren't so many stop lights.  :)

crowny2's Training Log

September 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Time
Distance
Time
  • June's totals