• 43m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 57s /Mi
Swim
  • 27m 33s
  • 1640.42 yards
  • 01m 41s /100 yards
See Race Report below.

Went to pre-race meeting at the Hyatt Recency downtown Dallas (the one with the ball). Then drove over to Joe Pool Lake to rack my bike. Drove the bike course back to the hotel. Amazing that those roads would contain a race the next day. They are urban roads were packed with cars. I wouldn't pre-ride that course in a million years. I think your survival odds would be about 50/50. The roads didn't look nearly as bad as advertised. There were lots of asphalt repairs and the obstacles were marked well with red paint. I feel bad for the RDs of this race. I saw exactly zero positive opinions about the road conditions and/or bike course (before and after the race). I think those opinions are way off base. Road bikes can handle rough rides easily. The pro races they used to have here from Denver to the mountain towns go over dirt road passes. (And of course Paris-Roubaix). Lastly, we have a very popular century that rides on a dirt road for 25 miles along the Colorado River and people love it.
Drove to Texas and arrived late around midnight.
Run
  • 55m 46s
  • 6.14 miles
  • 09m 05s /Mi

PR trail run w/Buddy. Trail was still muddy with snow patches. Then on the way home it was snowing heavy. We had to run fast to get home in the dark blizzard and broke our PR by over five minutes!

Out: 28:46
Back: 27:00

Buddy was a muddy mess so he got a full shower w/shampoo afterwards. He's all clean and ready for his trip to Texas.

Swim
  • 25m
  • 1500.00 yards
  • -----

1x1500

------------------------------------ Today looks like an inversion day. That is, shallow cold fronts get deflected by the mountains so while it's cold and rainy/snowing down in Denver, it's warm and clear here. But my training is largely over until I return from my race. I'll get a swim and super easy run in today but that's it.

Bike
  • 2h 43m 14s
  • 55.30 miles
  • 20.33 Mi/hr

TTX. 50F, cloudy light wind variable.

Home to Copper parking lot, down to Frisco, around Lake Dillon, up to Keystone, over Swan Mountain and back home. 3837' climbing.

Bike
  • 2h 48m 47s
  • 55.30 miles
  • 19.66 Mi/hr

TTX. 45F, clear w/strong North wind.

Home to Copper parking lot, down to Frisco, around Lake Dillon, up to Keystone, over Swan Mountain and back home. 3837' climbing.

Rode a super easy pace because there were lots of snow patches on the bike path which were hard to see in the shadows and I really wanted to avoid crashing again.

Run
  • 43m 16s
  • 4.30 miles
  • 10m 04s /Mi

Trail run w/Buddy to old cabin and back. Snowy, muddy, and nasty.

------------------------------------- My answer to "How did you season go?" ------------------------------------- Pretty terrible for me. 2010 will be "my year"! Started with a ski fall in late March that separated cartlidge from my ribs which hurt with every breath for six weeks and made swimming impossible. Even so my first race went OK and I was optimistic. I crashed in my second race dismounting the bike and separated my shoulder. This messed up that race with about two minutes of recovery added to my bike split, and a three minute slower than usual run. Since I couldn't swim for six weeks I had to skip a race. Then for my A race (HIM), my swim was four minutes slow and was basically torture (bike/run went well). About the time I was totally healed, a tourist laid a bike down in front of me on our bike path. I crashed again and separated my shoulder again. (hurt far worse than the first one.) I couldn't swim again for six weeks, and had to skip another race. So I just started swimming again and I have my last race on Sunday. I don't care how I do as this season's a bust. I ran/biked through those three injuries so the GOOD NEWS is that I've improved greatly on the bike both in terms of endurance (nineteen 50+ mile rides in September) and speed (pr'd a time trial training course a couple days ago at 25.8 mph (+1 mph faster)). In my run I knocked 17 minutes of my HIM run split (same race, same conditions, year-to-year). My swim is terrible but it will be easy for me to rebuild. -------------------------------- We got about 4" total out of that storm (12" total for this winter so far). It never really stuck on the streets or bike path. It's clear and cold this morning (20F) so hopefully it will warm up enough to melt the bridges and I'll be able to get a ride in. (I want to run/bike/swim today.) It looks like we're going to get two nice days although cold with highs around 50F. Then a big storm moves in so it's going to be snowy/cold the whole time we're in Texas. This is very abnormal weather for us in terms of cold. It's normal for wet snow storms to move through but they're usually separated by a week or so and it warms into the 60s between them. We should also get a two week indian summer period where it's summer-like before the snow machine really gets going in mid-November when snow stops melting.

Run
  • 1h 00m 30s
  • 6.96 miles
  • 08m 41s /Mi

Six town loops w/Buddy with a detour that added a 0.1m. 34F and partly cloudy when we started and a blizzard when we finished.

Splits:
10:00
9:56
10:10
10:22
10:14
9:50

Moose crossing Main Street in Frisco (9 miles away) in the crosswalk on Saturday (from Summit Daily News). This was the time of year that I was charged by a moose (w/calf) near Frisco a couple years ago on my bike.

breckview's Training Log

October 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • December's totals
  • November's totals