• 21m 37s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 06m 58s /Mi
See Race Report.

Bike
  • 20m
  • 6.00 miles
  • -----

Testing Zipps on TTX and taking some position photos. Got some annoying click in the front wheel which I think is my valve extender hitting the carbon. I'm glad I'm going to start riding the TTX regularly so that I'll feel better about the setup.

Legs feel terrible which is probably mostly mental.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 45m

Afternoon town walk with Melinda and Buddy.

My legs are a little sore today. I tend to always mess something up right before a race. I think I'm so anxious to prove to myself that I'm ready for the race that I push too hard a few days before. This is just a warm-up race for me anyway. I'm not going to worry about anything other than enjoying my time in the race. This soreness is due to the new bike and I had some good reasons for not riding it until yesterday. It would have been a huge mistake for my race to have been my first ride on it. When I first started riding that thing it felt almost unrideable. At least this isn't as bad as before Boulder Peak oly. Five days before that race I decided to run up/down Quandary Peak. It trashed my legs so bad I was sore for a week including the day of the race. While I'd love to ride 60 today, all I'm going to do today is put the Zipps on and then just ride a mile or so, enough to cycle through all the gears a couple times.

Bike
  • 1h 18m 13s
  • 29.20 miles
  • 22.40 Mi/hr

First ride on my TT bike. Didn't use the Zipps because I wanted to compare against my Madone. I'm almost positive that the TTX is significantly faster.

When I first got on it going down my hill that I do 40 mph down on my Madone, I was riding the brakes all the way down at about 25 mph. It felt horrible.

After a few tweaks I was able to get the set up to feel good. The position is quite a bit more aggressive than my Madone and it took a while to get used to it.

I tried not to push any harder than normal but I might have anyway. I made Big Mike in PR speed even with the ~30 seconds my computer ran while I was stopped (takes 5 seconds at each stop for it to recognize that I've stopped). Plus, the wind was NE which is a bad headwind for riding to Big Mike (which is now plowed clear). So getting there in PR speed, I either pushed a lot harder, or the bike is significantly faster.

With the 54/12 I was able to pedal up to 38 mph (compared to 35 with the 53/12). I was at least 2 mph faster coming down the hill into Frisco from both directions.

Across Dillon Dam I changed my computer to not display mph and tried to push the effort I normally push across the flat 0.9 miles. I took a split across the dam. I did 2:03 into a little headwind which is a few seconds faster than normal even though I usually have a westerly tailwind. So I tested the same split going the other direction (with a slight tailwind from the NE wind) and did 1:58 (27.46 mph). I think I pushed a little harder going back but still not close to all-out.

So anyway maybe it's all mental but believing that the bike is faster is better than believing the opposite. So I'm pretty happy with my first ride. Once I tweaked the fit I was very comfortable for the whole 30 miles.

Now hopefully the position wasn't different enough to make me sore tomorrow.

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1500.00 yards
  • -----

1x1500 easy felt great.

Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 2.46 miles
  • 08m 22s /Mi

Easy rec center laps. Wanted to do 5k but ran out of time.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 1h 30m

Walked down to town with Buddy. Made the River park in 37 minutes. Then over to the dog park for a while. Then stopped at Greg/Kim's to chat with them on the way back up the hill.

Tomorrow I'm going to ride my race bike for the first time for 20 miles or so. I definitely should have been riding it before now since I'm racing Sunday and all, but it just didn't happen for lots of reasons. I have it set up exactly like my road bike except that the aero bars are about one inch lower. Hopefully, that difference won't make me sore after riding tomorrow. All summer from now on I'm going to ride the TT bike once a week fast and hard w/my Zipps for two reps on the flattest 20 miler I can do here. I'm going to work hard on recording some fast training rides. The rest of the time I'll still be on my Madone. I'm hoping that because they're set up so similar I'll barely notice the difference between them. That's my plan anyway. After the race Sunday, I'll have 14 days left in May. I'm going to ride 600+ miles over those two weeks.

Bike
  • 2h 05m 10s
  • 40.60 miles
  • 19.46 Mi/hr

Stupid windy. I know it was blowing over 40 mph because coming down from Big Mike the wind was at my back, I was doing 35 mph, and an aspen leaf blew passed me going at least 5 mph faster than me. As I was coming up the hill to Breck with that devil wind directly in my face, there was a guy in a Plano Cycling jersey who I caught and passed. He didn't hear me coming and right before I passed I could hear him cussing out the wind. Over Carrie Underwood playing on my MP3 I heard him yell, G.D. MF wind !!! I'm sick of it too...

Same ride as yesterday. 3386' climbing. Slower because of the wind and my legs are a bit tired too.

Swim
  • 40m
  • 2550.00 yards
  • -----

850 (12:16, 1:26:35/100y)
All comfortable pace (I.e. not out of breath on flip-turns). Swim feels strong.

Run
  • 43m 48s
  • 5.10 miles
  • 08m 35s /Mi

Easy Rec Center laps. Couldn't get 10k before the close.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 45m

Town walk w/Buddy and Melinda. Buddy smelled a fox leaving our driveway but couldn't find him with his eyes. Then we startled another one in town. The stared each other down and the fox growled at Buddy.

Bike
  • 1h 59m 05s
  • 40.60 miles
  • 20.46 Mi/hr

Same route as a few days ago. Computer showed .1 longer. Probably from getting thrown around by the wind... The gusts died down but it was still constant 20+ SW. Two trees down across the path. Still a fantastic ride. Comfortable effort. Felt strong on the climbs. 60F and mostly cloudy. 3386' climbing per BT Route Tracker.

Big Mike is now only about 3 feet deep. So I think by Monday I'll be able to get to Copper.

Gusts did die down. I'm sick of the wind! ------------------------------------------- Probably back indoors today... It was supposed to be sunny and 65 which it is. But it's so windy right now that it's not safe to ride. We're getting some 75 mph gusts. Maybe it will die down this evening and I can do a dusk ride. Dusk in the mountains is spectacular.

Swim
  • 42m
  • 2800.00 yards
  • -----

1x1000
1x800
1x600
1x400

breckview's Training Log

May 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2