• 24.01 Mi/hr

See Race Report.

Run
  • 1h 55m
  • 13.10 miles
  • 08m 47s /Mi

See Race Report

Total time was 4:55:06.

No need to test wetsuit today. I still have enough pain in my shoulder that I can't even get my top on and could never get it off during the race.
Workouts are done. I'll probably get in the pool today and just test out wetsuit bottom-only vs top-only vs. full. I hate wearing my top especially in warm water and won't as long as my tests are ok in bottom-only. Good chance I won't be riding my Zipps Sunday. This is hard to write because I really want to believe that the Zipps are "SUPER FAST", but here's why: 1) One of my valve extenders is broken from my crash and I'd have to do a bunch of effort to get another today. Because of #2 below, I really don't want to jump through any hoops today/tomorrow. 2) Frankly, I don't like the Zipps. The brakes are super sticky (even with the Zipp recommended pads). Since I use my brakes CONSTANTLY due to our curvey descents, and I'm so used to how the brakes work on my Bontrager wheels, braking on the Zipps freaks me out bad and I have to think way too much. Not being used to the brake stickiness on the Zipps and the TTX brake lever position is why I crashed in my last race. I SOOOO don't want to crash again this year, especially in another race. They are terrible for fast cornering. In calm wind, when I turn the front wheel at speed, wind hits the Zipps from the side slightly and it's very funky. I thought I was going down yesterday on one of our switchback curves and I wasn't even going as fast as usual. In gusty wind, they're unrideable. 3) They seem heavy when climbing. It's probably just in my head because they only weigh 250 grams (0.55 lb) more total than my Bontragers (not incl tire/tool weight vs tube/tool w/clinchers). But this course isn't flat and even if it's just in my mind, I want to "feel" fast climbing the low-grade hills because they are a few miles long. 4) I've been logging some plenty fast training rides on my Bontragers to meet my goal. My last serious ride on TTX/Bontragers felt like the strongest I've ever been on a bike. (Yes, even faster than when I dominated the bike in Tri's in my pre-AARP days). I'm not fit enough to crush the bike leg for 56m (yet) and still run 13.1 afterwards. The downside is that I have flatted on both my recent rides at the Boulder Rez but hopefully they'll actually sweep the route like they say. 5) They might be haunted. I've not yet ridden a race on them yet that I was happy with. But in all fairness, I would have been very happy with my last split at the 5430 sprint (same course mostly) had I not yard-saled into T2 like the Tasmanian Devil... Because I'm such a head-case, I must be confident that they are really faster or my head will get "F'ed up up like the government's checkbook" when the inevitable thought goes through my brain on the climbs, "Damn, these wheels feel heavy and sluggish". After this race, I'm going to be doing a ton of tests to convince myself whether they really are faster than my Bontragers on flats, sustained climbing, sustained descending. I wish I had a power meter for this but I'm pretty good at RPE. Plus, one test I'm really interested in is just comparing calm wind reps on an aero coasting descent down the hill from Copper down to Frisco. I'll find a totally calm day and do a few climbs on each wheelset at the same RPE, and aero coast down the entire hill. The hill is not steep but it's long (4-5 miles) so I can climb it at 14-21 mph and a pure aero coast is all 30+ mph. I think it will be a good wheel test course as long as I can find a dead calm wind morning. (Too much wildlife in the evenings.)
Bike
  • 1h 19m 24s
  • 29.08 miles
  • 21.97 Mi/hr

Easy test ride w/some mount and dismount practice

Run #1
  • 33m 56s
  • 3.40 miles
  • 09m 59s /Mi

Easy trail run w/Buddy. Pushed him a bit faster than normal even though it was warm (78F).

Buddy must run out front so he sets the pace which I can increase by saying, "Go Buddy Go". Sometimes he sniffs something stops and I can pass him. Then I can run faster until he catches up. But as he gets close I have to slow down because I'm afraid he'll trip me.

He's also barn shy. On the way out he knows all the places where we'll sometimes turn around so about 100 yards before each of those points he starts slowing. On the way home he runs much faster.

BTW, Buddy's 10k PR is 49:18 on our asphalt bike path. Pretty good for a 100 lb German Shepherd.

Swim
  • 30m 03s
  • 2000.00 yards
  • -----

1x2000 easy (30:03)

Run #2
  • 23m 30s
  • 2.50 miles
  • 09m 24s /Mi

27.5 super easy Silverthorne Rec center laps.

Bike #1
  • 1h 15m 10s
  • 29.08 miles
  • 23.21 Mi/hr

OMG did the TTX ever feel good today! I've got that thing DIALED IN.

This was actually an easy effort. I never pushed this hard enough to get out-of-breath. Windy out of the WNW too. First ride with my new aerobottle and new sunglasses.

I think I'll put the Zipps on tommorrow.

After some research, this is a PR. My last PR on this route was on 06/03/09 at 22.8 mph. The routes aren't exactly the same because they've moved the bike path in two places and added a bridge. The bridge is temporary until they build the permanent bridge so I now start the TT just past the bridge which makes the route a little shorter but still essentially the same.

I LOVE the PRs without even really trying!

Bike #2
  • 15m
  • 3.10 miles
  • 12.40 Mi/hr

Felt so great after my ride I didn't want to quit. The weather was so unbelievably awesome I continued the ride super easy to Breck and just cruised around town on the bike path and hung out there for a while.

Run
  • 42m 41s
  • 4.56 miles
  • -----

Four easy town loops.

Run #1
  • 34m 20s
  • 3.40 miles
  • 10m 06s /Mi

Easy Trail run w/Buddy.

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1500.00 yards
  • -----

500 easy (7:32)
500 hard (7:04= 1:25/100y)
500 easy (nt)

Wanted to swim 500 more in some fast 100s but ran out of time.

First hard effort since AC Separation. Hurt some but not too bad. A month off swimming did me wrong. My swim is slow right now.

Our pool reopens on 08/12/09 and I'm going to get my swim back down.

Run #2
  • 20m 50s
  • 2.50 miles
  • 08m 20s /Mi

Easy laps at Silverthorne Rec Center after swim. Wanted to run 3.0 but ran out of time.

breckview's Training Log

August 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance
  • December's totals
  • November's totals