• 56.00 miles
  • 20.75 Mi/hr

B2B Half bike

Run
  • 1h 40m 06s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 07m 38s /Mi

B2B Half run

Race finishing time - 5:01:22, T1 was 4:52, T2 was 2:55. Recording this on Monday....Well what a great day at PPD Beach2Battleship Half Ironman distance event!! Though very chilly in the morning (temps hovering just below 50 degrees), it was a sunny day which warmed into the 70s by afternoon! A little bit of a breeze every now and then. For the swim, I was in wave 8 starting 18 minutes later than Wave 1. So a little bit of waiting. After I got in the water, it seemed fairly cold though the water temp was around 70. Still I was shivering a bit before we got started. But after we started, I was flying!! Just who was that swimming?! Current really took hold! Wish I hadn't gotten just a bit off track after the turn buoy as I went too far left and should've cut right a bit more. But after I saw where to go, I continued to fly along, catching up to the previous wave and also perhaps a few stragglers from the one previous.

On the bike, I was very glad I only wore the arm warmers to take the chill off because full sun and warming temps really did get quite warm. My Garmin stats show I was moving along consistently at around 21 mph during most of the time. And I was passing MANY people on the bike! Think the number who passed me might've been 10 or less. No issue with the bike except the chain dropped as I bounced over some railroad tracks :( I couldn't recover and had to stop to put it back on (this may have cost me later). I did trade places with a few folks with one moving ahead after a while and I pushed out ahead of the other. While I'm not disappointed per se with my bike, I really couldn't seem to move along any better than 21 mph on average. Not sure if I was afraid to or whether I just didn't have it in me. But, this is something to work on next season.

Then the run. It was quite warm by the time I got out onto the run (around 72) and no longer needed the arm warmers. I started out on the pace I wanted to set which was 7:37 and did speed up a bit by the 3rd mile to 7:17. When I saw that, I did back off and got back to around the pace I wanted to set for the next mile. From there, though, pace varied from near the pace to over by 25 seconds. Then I did start to fade during the last 4 miles but was able to pick it up for the last mile and attempted to kick right at the end since I could see the finish line. Here, it actually turned into race between 1st and 2nd! I passed the AG leader and he sprinted past me near the fnish to take the 1st place spot. Missed 1st by 5 sec. That's okay - 2nd in AGE GROUP!!! WOO HOO!! BTW, only 2 people passed me on the run at the beginning and at the end. I placed 1st in AG on the run, 47 out of 635 guys, and looks like 51 out of 941 total. Overall I placed 74th out of 635 guys and 90th out of 941 total.

Some great news was that all three of my fellow Frederick guys got the job done completing their first Half Ironman distance event in under 7 hours! All the doubt they had and hard work they went through the last several months paid off! I'm so very proud of all of them!

What a way to end the 2014 triathlon season and here's to an even better 2015! Thanks for all your support!

Well, it's evening now the night before the race. Everything's hopefully taken care of and now just have to get to the swim start to race. It was a neat start of the day today as I got to meet (albeit a bit awkwardly as I was having a disagreement with her) the 2006 Woman Ironman World Champion, Michellie Jones! I was disagreeing with ISM seats being comfortable as it was one of the most painful I was ever on. She said I just didn't set it up right but I really did try to make it work according to the directions. Well, she said she'd see about getting me set up later if I contacted her about this discussion. Perhaps I will. Still cool to meet her! I enjoyed pro Vinnie Johnson's attitude to training and will look into the coaching/training outfit he's with, QT2 Systems. Well gotta get ready for bed... more after the race.
Travel day to race site
Bike #1
  • 10m
  • 4.20 miles
  • 25.20 Mi/hr

CT warm up

Bike #2
  • 52m 46s
  • 15.29 miles
  • 17.39 Mi/hr

Cape Henelopen Tri course

Stats taken after workout on the trainer and before dinner, %water 69.2, muscle 38.4, bone 4.0. As planned, easy workout on the CT. Got everything done that I had to do but pack! That's in progress but it's going to a somewhat late evening unfortunately. Hopefully won't take me too long. One issue that's worrisome is that my left inside ankle is "uncomfortable" from last evening's treadmill session. Not painful, I'm just feeling like the tendon is pulling/separating from the ankle area. Will see about possibly getting tape from the Expo on Friday. I'll also be compressing it and probably putting pain cream on it. Just hope it holds

Tomorrow: Pick up Jon Ege and drive to race site. Might try to drive the bike course if we get there before it gets dark.

Fri: breakfast with the pros :), packet pickup, race prep

Sat: RACE!!

More from the race site.

• Calories out: 3142 From lifestyle:2327, From activities:815
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 RHR: 53 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 6.5 Overall Workout: 3
Swim #1
  • 15m 02s
  • 765.53 yards
  • 01m 58s /100 yards

700 m free

Swim #2
  • 10m 43s
  • 328.08 yards
  • -----

300 kicking w/fins

Run
  • 33m 15s
  • 4.01 miles
  • 08m 17s /Mi

On the gym treadmill

Strength
  • 12m

Full body

Stats taken after run and before dinner, %water 69.3, muscle 38.5, bone 4.0. Essentially followed the plan today. Really all I can do in the evenings after work now considering how dark it gets. Ramping down before the race anyway, so works out. Decent swim and treadmill workouts though I think I may need to calibrate my foot pod again. Left foot in inside ankle and also a bit of the Achilles/heel bothering me during and after the run. But this is the last run until the race now.

Tomorrow: pick up wetsuit (it was being adjusted), pick up bike, and pack. I will need to spend a light hour on the trainer if the rain doesn't let up.

Thurs: drive to race site with fellow triathlete Jon Ege. It will be his first Half. Hopefully, we can at least drive the bike course after we get there.

Fri: race prep - packet pickup, turn in run gear bag, pack bike gear bag, relax as much as possible

Sat: RACE!

• Calories out: 3035 From lifestyle:2322, From activities:712
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 6.5 Overall Workout: 3
From the bike yesterday combined with the migraine, I had some sort of residual headache or pressure which I actually have had before. Took my bike in to get it looked at, tightened, cleaned, inspected, etc. and then decided just to bag the evening and take a rest day. Probably need to really taper here, huh?

Tomorrow: swim, weights, and run which will probably be on the treadmill since it will be dark when I get done with the other two. Little hesitant to swim as I think this head pressure issue is a result of my problems with chlorine pool water and decongestant spray to alleviate that. Probably doing terrible things to my sinuses. Since there's a few days to recover from that, I should be okay. Still, a bit concerned about this pressure and hope it alleviates. Start packing.

Wed: easy bike ride or spin on recumbent at the gym, get bike back, finish packing.

Thurs: travel to race site

Fri: race prep

Bike
  • 2h 29m 39s
  • 40.67 miles
  • 16.31 Mi/hr

Out to Graceham, back on it, then Black Mill, Hessong Bridge, and normal route back

Stats taken after ride and before getting something to drink/eat, %water 69.4, muscle 38.5, bone 4. Didn't sleep very well due to migraine beginning last night and coming on in the morning. Had to take a med for it and got rid of it a bit later. Well, though quite chilly and windy, decided to test out the bike more today rather than run, though I really did consider running instead. It's just that I need to be sure I'm not going to run into yesterday's problem during the race. Thought 40 miles was just about right and I know that going north to Thurmont and onto Graceham road to swing back would be the right distance for today's effort. Started in low 50s with wind and decided to wear my black colder weather biking out fit though I might've gotten away with arm/leg warmers. Still, I didn't want to be chilled like yesterday. And this turned out to be just right for the conditions. Saw another rider later who was dressed quite a bit lighter and had red arms/legs as he was going the other direction.

I was a bit wary of going out in the winds with my race wheels since they're deep dished but turns out the winds weren't strong enough to really push me too much and I really enjoyed going fast with the winds plus it helped to get aero in the headwinds too. Even though it really was chilly, especially with the wind, the bright sunshine and Fall colors on many leaves helped to make up for that. No issues during the ride, thank goodness. And the ride distance was just right as I was definitely feeling it near the end.

Tomorrow: I've decided to take my bike in and leave it at the shop so they can ensure the left crank arm is okay, plus I'm going to have them clean the chain, back cassette, and anywhere else that might need it. If I have time, may go to the gym late for light aerobic machine time or I might put in the yoga DVD instead. Should keep it to an active recovery day as I will be taking Thur and Fri off prior to the race.

Tues: evening swim, weights, and run probably on treadmill as I am switching my work from home day to tomorrow. Start packing if I can.

Wed: last easy bike and may do this on tri bike just for a quick test ride so I'm confident in it again. But, since it might be clean, might just do this on my road bike. Finish packing/loading the car.

Thur: drive to race site, possible packet pickup, might drive the bike course.

Fri: race prep day

• Calories out: 4066 From lifestyle:2245, From activities:1821
  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 4

sbrdave's Training Log

October 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals