Run
  • 1h 32m 34s
  • 13.24 miles
  • 06m 59s /Mi

Frederick Half Marathon. Garmin pace and distance are a bit different from unofficial race results. Will update in the blog area when I get the official ones. Right now, unofficial are 1:32:31 and 7:04 pace.

Swim
  • 24m 46s
  • 1120.95 yards
  • 02m 09s /100 yards

Post race swim and just mixed it up between breast and free. Garmin added extra 25 on one of the breast stroke lengths and adjusted distance accordingly.

It is WAY...TOO....EARLY...for....SUNDAY! But, I actually feel pretty decent and seem to have gotten enough sleep. So prepping for the race and will be heading over in about an hour so I get done with parking and have enough time to warm up. This is probably one of the first races in quite a while I'm actually shooting for a goal time and pace. Hopefully 7:15 or better and I have my Garmin pacer set for that. I wanted to try the Virtual Racer but didn't have enough time to set that up. Another race. My foot is still a bit worrisome as well as my inner thigh, but I think both will be manageable. Well, gotta get on with the morning pre-race routine. More later....

WELLLLLLL! What a day THIS has turned out to be! First, let me say it was a super morning for such a race and other than a bit of chill in the air (temps in the upper 40s to low 50s). Calm to light wind as well. So different than the Mission 10 Miler a little over a month ago. So as I said above I was shooting for a 7:15 pace and worked my way up through the massive crowd of folks to find the 8 min pace corral area. Then as the fastest pace group was only a 1:40, I actually had to work my way up in front of them! THIS...IS...VERY...STRANGE for me. I mean here I am with folks who have to be faster than me but pretty close to the Start Arch. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?? My M10M pace say No. So, here I start and stretch a bit like others. I meet my MEC teammate Nick Hetro who I know will be a LOT faster than me. He's actually looking for another tri guy from the Baltimore area who hasn't shown up but Nick has his Bib. Well, it's getting close and I wish Nick well as he moves up a bit. Not too long after that we're given the GO! start and we're off and running!

Unfortunately, not too long after the start, I was jockeying for some position, twisted to look back, and felt my right hip twinge. Really? Well, there was some discomfort but not like the Half+ I did at Antietam a few weeks ago. So, I just kept going. Garmin at Mile 1 says that I'm faster than my goal pace and I thought that I should be able to maintain this pace without too much discomfort. There were really only a few places that taxed me a bit more but I also used downhills where I could as I can run down them whereas a good number of folks can't. Those help keep me just at or below threshold. Pretty much was able to stay there the entire time. During the early part of the race, a woman was just ahead of me and I was staying with her until I passed around mile 7 or 8. Then just around mile 12, she passed me back. Wow! But, as we came down the home stretch to the Finish, I was able to kick and pass her along with 4 other guys! Saw 1:32 something on the Finish clock...just couldn't believe it!

Congratulated all who finished next to me and slowly moved along to get water, my Finisher's medal, Gatorade, and snacks. Met up with several of my friends from the tri club and stayed for quite some time just gabbing and catching up with a few folks I hadn't seen in a while. No result available on site which I find strange considering that the bigger tris I've been in have them almost instantly on site. There were no AG award ceremonies either, another strange thing. And unfortunately there was also some last minute confusion between the County and race folks about serving beer to the racers and we couldn't have any until after 11! Well, I wasn't sticking around for that and packed up for home.

After I got home, I was on Facebook for a bit. First checked to see if there were any results yet and they weren't available yet. Then Nick messages me and asks if I had seen results, with some urgency in the message. So I checked....there at the top of my AG is my name! YES! I took 1st in AG!! Amazing! I expected top 10, maybe if I got lucky, top 2nd or 3rd because last 2 years, sub-7 pace guys took 1st. Not this year...:) Unfortunately, I have no idea what my AG award is and won't get it until about a month later. Again, surprising.

So stats: 1st out of 102 in AG, 103 out of 4109 Overall! WOO HOO!

Then I went for a short swim just to see if the soreness in my hip would ease. Going to have to take the day off and see my chiropractor.

Celebrated with some much-deserved pints of beer at Milkhouse Brewery and then pizza at Uno's: YUM!!

Monday: off....not sure about rest of week due to my hip area. Gosh, I really do have to get ready for Knoxsville too. Interestingly, nothing else bothered me today.

Rest day before the race tomorrow. Went to packet pickup and through the event Expo. Bib, long sleeve shirt, and bought a pint glass highlighting the occasion since I collect them. Since my foot is still bothering me a bit, decided to try some more cushioned socks for the run though I probably should keep everything the same. They felt nice later, so what the heck. Got my pic taken with Blue, the Baltimore Running Festival mascot who was on hand:

So I guess I'm set :)

Ate my usual pre-race dinner which is actually breakfast. It's now a tradition and superstition since I continue to do well the next day, plus the food agrees with me.

Well, more tomorrow as I'm off to bed since I have to get up WAY too early!
Swim
  • 42m 57s
  • 1968.50 yards
  • 02m 11s /100 yards

w/u 100 breast
2 x 800 free RI :15
c/d 100 breast

Sport #1
  • Aqua Jogging
  • 25m
Sport #2
  • Stationary Biking
  • 30m

recumbent

Stats taken after workout and after getting some soup, %water 60.5. A light day as planned. I was going to do 4 x 400 but I was feeling like I just wanted to keep going after the first 400. I wasn't going very fast but I just felt like swimming without much of a break. I almost went the whole 1600 but I thought I'd save that until OWS practice on Tues. Then keeping things real light with a deep water running and easy spin on the stationary recumbent bike at the gym.

Now I think just as I was ending my run or near the end yesterday, I remember my left inner thigh or groin area twinging a bit a painfully. It subsided and didn't really bother me until this morning. Bothers me a bit when walking and I'm so hoping that it doesn't like give on Sunday. I do have a groin/inner thigh brace wrap I could wear but not sure. Will gauge that tomorrow.

Sat: complete down day before the race. Packet pickup in the morning.

Sunday: RACE! Going to see if I can maintain a 7:15 (or better) pace for the distance. I already know I can maintain around a 7:10 pace for 10 miles and this doesn't have the hills like the M10M did plus weather will be just right for running at that sort of pace. Just hope whatever little ailments/injuries I have don't decide to flare up and hold me back. Wish me luck!

Depending on how I feel, I might ride a bit later. But I may take the rest of the day off due to the effort and head out to Milkhouse for a pint (or two) and perhaps pizza in the evening.

Monday: Light bike ride in the evening

Tuesday: morning strength and run, evening OWS practice at Ft Ritchie

Plan rest of week later.

• Calories out: 3051 From lifestyle:2285, From activities:767
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 7.5 Overall Workout: 3
Run
  • 56m 48s
  • 6.16 miles
  • 09m 13s /Mi

Normal run around Ft D, no HR

Strength
  • 19m

arms, abs, upper body

Sport
  • Elliptical Training
  • 05m

w/u prior to strength

Welcome to May! And 2 green race squares have appeared! Actually, there's a 3rd on June 1, also 2 weeks after the last race. I won't do this to myself next year, though this year is a bit different as I don't consistently do the Frederick Half Marathon (last time was 2009) and I wouldn't be doing Knoxville if I hadn't qualified for the Rev3 AG Championships. Still, it's too much racing and not enough of consistent, build/specific training that I normally do. And I'm traveling a good amount this year too. After Syracuse, I really need to focus on IM Louisville which I have yet to sign up for. Probably either after Syracuse or in June. I was thinking of signing up for Challenge New Albany and perhaps the duathlon late July (since I want to get ranked in duathlon this year), but I'm questioning doing that and perhaps just staying local with the Ft Ritchie Du since it will be USAT-sanctioned. And even as I write all of this and saying I'm doing too much, I'm still considering Powerman on Sept 21 in FL and then B2B Half late Oct. Powerman is a qualifier for the Duathlon Long Distance Championships in Switzerland, which would just be so cool! But, I was also considering volunteering for IM MD the day before and I have possible work-related travel the week prior as well as possible family visits on the way back. Whew! I have some decisions to make.

Well, today is first arms, abs, and upper body at the gym, followed by a short probably easy 5 mile run around Ft D just to test things out after not running in a while.

Post note about HR monitor...might not be the battery though I will change it just in case. Looks like I really should be washing/soaking the soft strap regularly. Meaning to do that and just haven't. Take care of that this evening, test it tomorrow. More later...

Stats taken after run and before getting something to eat, %water 60.7. As planned, strength and easy run around Ft D. No real problems during the run. Left hip seems okay and I wasn't having any twinges in my left Plantar Fascia. The hip flexor is a bit sore from legs and the trainer session yesterday but that's kinda expected. Run felt okay.

Tomorrow: afternoon swim, followed by deep water running, and then an easy spin on the gym recumbent.

Sat: rest before race

Sun: RACE! I may go for short ride later or save that until tomorrow. Though it isn't in my diet, pizza and/or beer (thinking Milkhouse :) ) may be in order during the afternoon/evening

Mon: active recovery day or may go out for an easy ride after work since it will be nice out

Tues: morning strength and run with evening OWS practice at for Ritchie. I could also do the 5K course but it might get a little late for that.

Plan rest of week later.

• Calories out: 3129 From lifestyle:2322, From activities:807
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 5 Overall Workout: 4
Bike #1
  • 10m
  • 2.06 miles
  • 12.36 Mi/hr

On the CT, w/u prior to Sufferfest

Bike #2
  • 54m 58s
  • 13.98 miles
  • 15.26 Mi/hr

On the CT, Sufferfest video, "There is no Try"

Strength
  • 13m

legs and abs, time estimated

Sport
  • Elliptical Training
  • 10m

w/u prior to strength

Stats taken after workout and before dinner, %water 60.7. As planned, first a leg and abs session followed by a Sufferfest video on the CT that I like to do: "There is No Try!". Quick intervals to 8 min time trial effort and back down to quick intervals with periods of rest in between.

Unfortunately, I think the HR monitor battery needs replacing as later in the workout it really reduced down. At least I found out before Sunday cuz I will be using my HR to keep below threshold as much as possible while trying to maintain a 7:15 pace or better.

Tomorrow: arms, abs, upper body followed by a short run to kinda test things out.

Friday: swim in the morning and I'm thinking of doing 1/2 hour on Elliptical and 1/2 hour on the recumbent just for something light and not overtax anything. I thought about getting out for a ride but I'm thinking that may be too much. Will see.

Sat: rest day prior to race

Sun: RACE!

Mon: active recovery. May actually go out for a ride in the evening or might do that Sunday afternoon as well and just do yoga today.

• Calories out: 3114 From lifestyle:2299, From activities:815
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 6.5 Overall Workout: 4
Swim
  • 32m 21s
  • 1531.06 yards
  • 02m 07s /100 yards

w/u 100 breast
3 x 400
c/d 100 breast

Strength
  • 16m

upper body, arms, abs

Sport
  • Stairmaster
  • 1h 05m
Stats taken after workouts and before dinner, %water 60.3. A mixed bag of activities today. Weather was pretty ugly and so I decided on an hour with the Stair Master rotating stair machine. Whew! Sweat was drippin' cuz air doesn't move too much at the height of the machine! Quite the puddles I produced!

Tomorrow: strength (legs) and Sufferfest video. Just have to decide which one. Weather's going to be nasty again tomorrow.

Thursday: strength (arms, upper body, abs) and may try a light run

Friday: swim and bike outside I think as it's looking decent.

Sat: packet pickup and rest before the race

Sunday: RACE!

Monday: Active recovery day? Might do yoga or ride outside.

Tues: strength and maybe a light run during lunch time and planning on evening OWS practice at Ft Ritchie.

Plan rest of week later.

• Calories out: 3236 From lifestyle:2278, From activities:958
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 3
Rest day today. Need it after the weekend. Unfortunately, this is going to probably be the only relatively nice day to get outside as it's going to be showery, cloudy, and probably chilly Tues-Thurs and maybe into Friday. At the moment, weather's looking decent for the Half Marathon on Sunday albeit a bit chilly. That's okay as long as we don't see weather like for the M10M.

More tomorrow...

sbrdave's Training Log

May 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • March's totals