Run
  • 1h 20m 11s
  • 10.60 miles
  • 07m 34s /Mi

Swim
  • 38m 54s
  • 2286.00 meters
  • 01m 42s /100 meters

Swam at Centereach LA Fitness cause my local pool is closed for 2 weeks. Was worried cause I haven't swam in 8 days, but blew all the rust off in the WU.

500 WU
500 Cruise
1000 Straight long pull
500 CD

Bike
  • 1h 29m 19s
  • 31.14 miles
  • 20.92 Mi/hr

I grabbed the Dune Road KOM!!
Time: 27:31
Distance: 13.32 miles
Speed: 29.1 mph w/ a 14mph SW tailwind

I took the crown by exactly :30 seconds. And the rider who I took the KOM from had a direct Westerly tailwind with 20 mph tailwind. Which is great to know, cause I intend on going faster on this segment at some point this season. I'd really like to break 30 mph avg.

This effort was inspired by watching Lionel Sanders and Sam Long's battler at St George yesterday. Those guys are always preaching that no matter what your pain tolerance is, and no matter how much your brain is telling you that you can't do any more, even at that point you're still no where near your body's physical potential. So even though my legs were screaming sore from 4 hours of running and biking the day prior, the conditions were perfect today and I just committed to pushing as hard a I could for the entire segment regardless of how much it hurt. And I also knew with all the cycling I've done leading up to this, I had the fitness and strength, it would only be mental weakness that would be holding me back.

So yeah, with perfect temps - overcast sky - strong enough tailwind, my Castelli PR speed suit and aero socks electrical taped to stay up around my calfs, my trusty Cerveo P2 and HED disc wheel, and a CAN DO attitude, I freaking pedaled my heart out for the entire segment. My chain was in the 11-cog the whole time and I even got up to 85 cadence at a few points, which tells me if I had a bigger front chainring (currently running a 53) I could've laid down even a little bit more power and gone faster. And with a bigger front chain ring, I'd have a more efficient chainline which would also give me a few free watts.

The coolest experience happened too during this ride. With just a few miles left I could see the final bridge in the distance and I knew this was the final stretch. My quads were screaming, my legs filled with lactic acid and I just told myself: No Matter What, You're Holding this Pace. And suddenly my by brain/ body connection just accepted it and my breathing normalized. I went from huffing and puffing to this peaceful slow breathing at the height of my Lactate Threshold. I know the clean ocean air helped, but it was so cool and so weird to feel calm and collected and breathing slow and easy. But once I crossed the intersection for the bridge it was the final 500 meters and I pushed to VO2MAX ZONE and the huffing and puffing immediately returned as my HR just touched 150 BPM.

Run
  • 50m 19s
  • 6.51 miles
  • 07m 44s /Mi

Brick Run on Dune Rd. Shockingly felt really comfortable on this run. Last 2.5 miles were 7:40 pace with a 135 HR (Zone 3) and it felt almost easy. Almost ;-) I really, really love flat, straight running. You just get into a metronome zone and cruise. No hills to break up your rhythm. Love it.

Bike
  • 2h 31m
  • 64.16 miles
  • 25.49 Mi/hr

3R Endurance Ride
197 Watts avg / 2.5 w/kg
Avg HR 120

So happy I felt good!

Run
  • 1h 28m 33s
  • 11.14 miles
  • 07m 57s /Mi