Gonna give the Run a go today... 

Bike #1
  • 41m 09s
  • 16.72 miles
  • 24.38 Mi/hr

3R Innsbruckring Flat Race - 3 Laps (26.4km/16.4mi 231m) (C)
246W AVG/ 260 NP
2nd Place C Group

I had little expectation for this Race. I was only racing cause I love this Zwift race so much, and actually my expectation was to get dropped from contention by 3 or 4 minutes into the Race. But very strangely, that didn't happen. Strange enough I felt good and was able to hold good power up the short "leg snapper" climb. The only area where I really lacked was that fifth gear/ top end speed -- which led to me losing 1st by less than a second at the sprint.

Bike #2
  • 08m 21s
  • 1.50 miles
  • 10.78 Mi/hr

Too Short WU

Feeling pretty good today.  I'm officially booking my AirBnB condo again and signing up for Ironman Tremblant 2020 today.  The major thing I'm doing differently after this Ironman, vs. others, is I'm not eating like a jack-ass.  I had some naughty food on Monday.  And I had pint of Ben and Jerry's Phish food last night; but otherwise I'm eating clean and my weight is showing it.  I'm 172.00 lbs today, fully hydrated.  My GOAL for Tremblant 2020 is 160 pounds even.  I know I can do it.  And I know I need to do it cause I'm well within the top 10% on all the downhill Strava segments for the Tremblant course; and only Top 35 to 40% on the sustained climbs.  This tells me it's a weight thing.  No other excuse.  Numbers don't lie - 

Bike
  • 1h 44m 38s
  • 30.54 miles
  • 17.51 Mi/hr

Pre-loaded with electrolytes and felt great on this ride. Took a half-hearted stab at 1.00 mile long Strava segment (Line Road South) into a headwind and managed a Top 5 of 301. Then my buddy Wynn took me too a pretty popular 1.3 mile segment (Weeks North), with a tailwind admittedly. I figured since I had my full Race Set Up still -- waxed chain, disc wheel, and wearing my Zoot kit, everything but an aero-helmet -- I'd give it a serious go. Ended up tying for 1st OA out of 419. And after reviewing the segment, it actually ended sooner than I thought. So next time, I can sprint a little harder right at the end and take the KOM outright. And I'll be a little better recovered.

Tuesday August 6th, I posted this nutrition plan for the Bike:

Bike: (Infinit formula w/ higher electrolyte, Gatorade Endurance, gels, shot blocks -- mostly liquid, NO BARS and NO PROTEIN) w/ goal of 360-ish cals per hour (85g carbs)

I just tallied exactly what I ate/drank on Race Day for the Bike and between my Infinit formula, gel, and Clif energy chews, here's what I actually executed:  353 calories per hour (2,030 total) ; 87 carbs per hour (499 total).  I NAILED IT.  Spot on.  But then why did I throw up 3X, and end up in the medical tent with 10 miles left to Run?  Had plenty of energy, my legs felt freaking great!!  And the motivation wasn't lacking. I just couldn't overcome nausea and throwing up.  And those were the only symptoms -- No Cramps; No Bloating; No Abdominal Pain whatsoever...  

Well, long story short the Physician in the Ironman Medical tent said I'm not taking in enough salt.  

And so I laid there in the medical tent thinking to myself.  "Salt" I thought?  "Electrolytes? But I'm eating energy chews with 3X sodium.  My Infinit pre-mix is specifically made for endurance sports.  Why would I need extra salt?"

And so I added up the numbers of I what I consumed on the Bike:  443g Sodium per hour (2,545 total) and 123g of Potassium per hour (710 total).  Meanwhile, after some quick research I found the average recommendation for sodium for the average Ironman athlete is 600mg.   And for heavy sweaters (ME!) it can be as high as 1,000 t0 1200mg per hour you should take.  So for starters, I'm taking in 150mg per hour less than what's recommended, and seeing as I'm the guy at the 10-mile road race in December in 32 degree weather, wearing a tank top half drenched with sweat at mile 3, I'm highly likely in the 1,000 to 1200mg per hour need.  Fuuuuuuck Me.  

And now it ALL makes sense.    My DNF at Lake Placid wasn't due to low blood sugar; my muscles cramping 5-miles into the bike ride because I was sodium deficient.  It was a borderline wetsuit legal swim, and I still wore a wetsuit and sweat out all my salt.  And THAT is why my blood pressure was so low in the LP Med Tent ; not because of low glucose but low electrolyte.  I'm Such an Idiot!!  

I was just reading on the Precision Hydration website how many athletes pre-load before a race with a drink that contains 1500mg of sodium.  Funny, cause I pre-loaded the day before with 2 Endurolytes caps only 600mg total; and Race Morning I took in another 379mg -- totally thinking that was enough.  Boy was I wrong.

So the good news is - I've figured out A LOT in 6 Ironman's and 15 70.3's ... perhaps, just maybe, this is the finally puzzle piece?  Going to try some new electrolyte products in training and see how it goes.  Gotta figure it out before Ironman Mont Tremblant 2020 

Swim
  • 1h 06m 53s
  • 4136.00 meters
  • 01m 37s /100 meters

PB Ironman Swim!! No fog delay, smooth water, drafted lots on the way back. Stayed well within myself and came out of the water feeling fresh. Only snafu was my Castelli Speed suit unzipped while I was swimming. Unzipped below the zipper that is!! I didn't panic -- although the thought of doing the entire bike with an open Tri suit was terrifying. In Transition I calmly unzipped, and re-zipped and all was right in the world.

Bike
  • 5h 45m 40s
  • 110.39 miles
  • 19.16 Mi/hr

Stoked with my bike ride!! Nailed my goal power at 191W NP avg. My 2nd loop was within 5 minutes of my 1st loop. I raced my own race and only burned a few matches on Duplessis on the super-steep pitches. Also hit 50.6 MPH on the interstate downhill!! First time breaking 50 mph!! Had no issues staying aero and tucked the entire ride. Never felt like I wanted to get off the Bike. Honestly could've kept on riding and been happy.

Run
  • 7h 24m 09s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 16m 57s /Mi

Ran the first 10k with a dude Juan from Columbia. Legs felt great!! Energy levels were up -- as I nailed my nutrition plan for calories/carbs per hour. Juan's goal was also 9:00 miles - 4 hour marathon. I took in my nutrition as planned. But unfortunately, just like the last 5 Ironman's - right around 10k I started losing steam. By 15k I was run/walking. By mile 15 I was vomiting on the side of the ride. Dammit. At mile 22 (Mike 130 of 140) I was vomiting into a planter next to the Medical Tent. Needless to say I ended up hanging out in the Med Tent for 30 mins or so. They diagnosed me with low electrolytes. They brought me chicken broth. I told them I would walk the last 10 miles and they let me go. It was a longgggg 10 miles.

But in the end, I finished. I went from the bliss of a Swim and Bike PB; on my way to an Ironman PB of around 11 hours and change ... to my slowest Ironman time to date. Pity cause it was perfect cool temps; perfect all-around conditions. But I was so very close to a DNF, so I am genuinely happy with a FINISH. See you in 2020 Tremblant.

Rest

Run #1
  • 09m 33s
  • 1.06 miles
  • 09m 01s /Mi

Trot down to the lake. Legs and body felt very good. Got a really good (painful) foam roll in last night and the legs responded today.

Swim
  • 21m 09s
  • 1370.00 meters
  • 01m 33s /100 meters

Mont Tremblant Lake WU Swim. Water temp felt perfect. If I had to guess the water temp, I'd say 70 degrees on the dot.

Run #2
  • 08m 58s
  • 1.00 miles
  • 08m 58s /Mi

Super easy trot back to the AIR BNB condo. Legs were nice and light and springy. YAY!

Dream Chaser's Training Log

August 2019 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • August's totals
  • July's totals