• 51m
  • 2100.00 meters
  • 02m 26s /100 meters

400 wu
3(3x100) desc 20",15",10" rest
3(4x50)desc 20",15",10" rest
200 cd

  • Yard Work
  • 1h 30m

digging out the weird bed in the back yard

Best night of sleep I've had in a long while!  Maybe I should be involved in more Ultras lol.

Got a lot of little details taken care of, washed up the trail shoes and did laundry, worked in the yard digging up weeds and plants we don't want in the weird bed, and pulled dinner out of my hat (barely any fresh food in the house, but I pulled off a great mexican dinner!)

Finally got to the pool after cleaning up and yeah.  I'm slow.  It will come, but it sure isn't here yet! :)

  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Hours slept: 8

So, while the training is blank, most of the run took place today technically.  :)

My job was to make sure they stayed moving and to do anything I could help along the way.  We walked all the hills, muddy parts and through the water.  There were a LOT of muddy parts and quite a bit of water.  One section had ropes you had to hang onto because it was so deep.  I probably got as deep as my knee or higher on that one.  Dave was feeling pretty good (he'd had issues with his ankles training for the race, but none during!) Beth was working a little harder to keep moving.  She was so sweet....she apologized for being grumpy.  And let me tell you, she was not being grumpy for a gal who had already run 67 plus miles that day!

I had a headlamp on my waist and one on my head and that was very helpful...Daves batteries died on both his lamps so I was able to hand one off till the next aid station.  We ran quite a while with a guy from Ann Arbor...it was fun to talk with him and learn how he got into the sport.  By hanging around the wrong people apparently! LOL.  I told him that Dave is known as the Kool Aide man around town in regards to IM! :)  At one point, I went to "hug a tree" and my phone popped out of my back pocket in my jacket.  We were within a mile of an aid station so I described the phone, and the ahem, tree I'd hugged and they promised they would look for it.  I was so bummed!  But I was not going to leave my charges to go back and look.  A few minutes later just as we were heading out (thank goodness it took Dave a few minutes to change those batteries!) Another runner and their pacer turned up with my phone!  Disaster averted!  Phew!

It was challenging to go slower since it was so cold.  And we got wet quite a bit, but it was such a great experience.  The moon was out and gorgeous, the owls were hooting, the grass was frosted and looked like diamonds.  The stars...I haven't seen so many stars since the High Bridge in Ohiopyle in Pennslyvania in my 20's!

After running my lap with the rock stars, I handed them off to Dave SR. and Nell for the final lap.  Ranger had me half convinced to do it with them, but hey...if I do my first ultra I want a damn medal for it lol! I toddled off to the bathroom to disrobe from the mud fest, rinse my feet and get dressed in warm dry stuff.  I fired up the bun warmers in the Edge, wiggled my way into my sleeping bag wearing my down coat, hat, gloves and got some shut eye.  About an hour and a half I think.  When I got up I tried to organize the tent a little to help with breakdown, but I wasn't able to do much...I had no clue who's was who's with all the gear in there!

I just felt so lucky to share in the experience with my dear friend who has been there to support, knudge, and encourage me... to talk me out of my (mostly irrational) fears, who always told me ... yes, you can! How many chances do you get to pay forward all someone has done for you? 

Ultras are such a different vibe than IM or tris.  Only 175 100 miler racers, and about 75 50 milers.  By the time Dave and Beth finished, at least 87 people had dropped out and went home.  They were the 32nd, and 33rd finishers crossing the line together in 28:28:XX.  No sea of competitors to share the journey with, no bright lights leading you to the finish, no crowds banging on banners, dancing or clapping, no Mike Reilly calling your name.  Just a few racers and their supporters clapping and cheering you in.  No one yelling out YOU ARE AN ULTRA 100 MILE MARATHONER... Just the race directors, your crew, and that damn buckle you ran 100 miles to get your hands on.                                         

  • 5h 27m 30s
  • 17.00 miles
  • 19m 16s /Mi

Paced Ranger and Beth at the Indiana 100 Mile Ultra one loop in the beautiful pitch black!

Seriously...I know I had a great dinner out last night, but this weight gain is just stupid!  My body damn well better not be on the path of last year that had me racing in the 150's.  After the run in the dark tonight, I'm back on my new program with daily training, and I'll be damned if I'm keeping those stinkin' 5 lbs.  No, they are gonna GO!


Excited to pace with Dave and Beth.  Pray I don't eat it in the dark on the trail.  Pray I have whatever it is my two awesome ultra friends need, when they need it.  :)  They have already been running almost 4 hours.  Lap one is almost done! :)

Dave and Beth snagged some pizza after lap 3...50 down, 50 to go!


  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Hours slept: 8
Swim #1
  • 18m 30s
  • 680.00 meters
  • 02m 43s /100 meters

one arm drills, 6x3 drills paddle drills, mixed in with freestyle
50 bs to cd

Swim #2
  • 18m 09s
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 01m 49s /100 meters

improptu swim tt

Decided after 4 laps to do an improptu swim TT.  I needed a baseline for next week, and although it was in the short warm pool, and not ideal, I went for it.  Happy with the starting time, although I'm not sure I am that fast with all the pushing off the wall. Found out the warm pool is 20 meters, not 20 yards.  Either way, its a place to start.  I'll plug the data into my card from Fraser to get paces.  It's not gonna be pretty, thats for sure!  It will come back...it has to!  Race in 7 weeks!

Tonight its dinner out with some of Dave's movie friends...a couple that were both extra's with him.  She is a sculpter and makes wedding cake toppers and made an awesome statue of him in his Winkie uniform.  She refused to let him pay, so we will eat and drink instead.

Tomorrow to Indiana to be the privledged pacer for Beth and Ranger.  It's gonna, and I quote the awesome Ranger "suck and be fun". 

  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Hours slept: 5.75
  • 2h 04m 28s
  • 37.79 miles
  • 18.22 Mi/hr

4 loops at Stony w/ Cathleen

  • 20m 01s
  • 2.26 miles
  • 08m 51s /Mi
  • 10m

run drills

MOO.  Gaining weight, craving sweets (and indulging in), poopy sleep.  Not a good combo.

In good news, I got to ride with Cathleen at Stony before the storms rolled in. 15mph winds to start the bike, and 23mph at the end!  I rode 4 loops, Cath 3.  She ran 6 after the ride, I ran 2.25.  I pushed her, and enjoyed riding a bit harder that last lap. She kills me on the run as always. :)  Enjoying the transition week. Saw LOTS of deer, the spring peepers were at it again, and saw a cool pair of ducks on the run.  Good wildlife sightings at the park today.

The annoying news...roadies that come RIGHT next to you with out a peep were plentiful in the park today. So, yeah, I'm a triathlete, I don't draft or have good pack manners,  I'm laid out on my horns because the wind is nasty and it's what I do, and when I pass, I say on your left.  Roadies, please don't sneak up on me and come so close if I get twitchy, sneeze or lose focus we'll be doing endos together! Rant over! :)

  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Hours slept: 8
  • 1h 43m 11s
  • 8.76 miles
  • 11m 47s /Mi

hiking and bridle trails at Pontiac Lake Rec Area


core x2 pushups

  • Rock Climbing
  • 45m

at LTF 1,3,4. Only made it up once on 4 with the gals help that works there. :) Fell off twice. FUN.

I decided to run today out at Pontiac Trail since I've not worn my trail shoes in quite a while and chose to run the hiking and bridle path remembering it was a bit more gentle than the mountain bike trail.  Or so I thought!  The part Lloyd and I "found" while lost in December is a more friendly grade, but not to the west.  And of course I went west.  And back to the start (instead of popping out on the road...boring!)  It was a glorious run.  Hilly, challenging, new and FUN.  The spring peepers were just hollering their sexy song in one of the ponds.  It was spectacular!  And I've got options to run this summer that I didn't know about so close to the lake house! Yay!

After dinner I decided to run up to the gym to climb.  Loving this transition week with no structure!  I'd planned on swimming a tad and bubble tubbing too, but the thunderstorms put the kabash on that.  Swim tomorrow then.  

Getting excited for Ranger...only a few days till the 100 miler!  I am so proud to be able to share it with him.  Dave RAWKS!

  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Hours slept: 6
  • 40m
  • 1750.00 meters
  • 02m 17s /100 meters

100 drill
500 at 10:29
550 at 11:33
500 at 10:24

100 cd

  • 25m

squats on bosu, squat homework, planks series x2, triceps, biceps, back extensions

Ran into Rick at LTF...been a long time!  He looks great! :)  Swam (SLOWLY) with Cathleen then to an epic lunch & chat.  

Heard from my sister in law today...she told me her Dad was worried sick that I was hurt in Boston until she shared I wasn't racing.  He is so sweet.  He thinks everytime he sees a marathon or running race on TV that I'm racing. :)  

Scribby is home safe and sound. I'm very happy my BFF training buddy is back home.

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Hours slept: 8

TrishM's Training Log

 April 2013 
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30    
  • April's totals
  • March's totals
  • 2018 totals
  • 2017 totals