Went to the Farmer's Market with Brenda last night. We both had some wine, sat in the sunshine and just enjoyed the evening. Talked about getting some CPR classes going at the bike shop.
Run
  • 20m
  • 1.39 miles
  • 14m 23s /Mi

Walked, jogged a little bit. For being so early, the neighborhood was pretty busy with people coming and going, and there were 4 other people out either walking or running.

This week is really flying by. STeve is feeling pretty good, albeit a little tired, and is easing back into normal stuff. He has a doctor appointment in a couple of days with his primary doc to review meds, remove some stitches, etc.

Talked with LBS owner last night about trading in the Diverge(s) and building the Niner. I have a really good set of carbon wheels on the bike I used for DK, and Matt was hoping he could modify them with end caps (I think) to work on the Niner. Specialized used some kind of proprietary system (SCS) on their 2016 and older Diverges and a couple of other bikes. For whatever reason they thought this system would take off and other bike manufacturers would latch onto it, but it backfired and now the SCS is kind of a problem. I'm concerned that in a year or two, my bike will be obsolete and hard to sell/trade.

So...the wheels won't work on the Niner (I'm just buying the frame). Matt has a set of super nice Origin8 C38 carbon wheels with DT Swiss hubs that he built and will sell for a good price.

Other than the wheels, everything I need for the new bike can be pulled off the Diverge. I have a box of parts from the Diverge from the various upgrades and there's enough to put it back together and sell it.

So kind of stoked about that. Matt thinks he can have the Niner built some time next week

Run
  • 15m 57s
  • 1.13 miles
  • 14m 06s /Mi

I hesitate to call this a run, more of a walk with some intervals. Nice morning

Steve was released yesterday morning. Of course it wasn't until after 5 when they were finished with all the discharge paperwork/aftercare instructions, etc. when he was actually allowed to leave the hospital. He is walking around like nothing happened and really doesn't have any restrictions other than to ease back into exercise and wear a heart monitor to keep tabs on any HR spikes.

Now we get to deal with fallout from family and friends who are butt hurt about not being kept more informed about the ordeal. Steve is a pretty private guy and I knew better than to immediately call his kids --- my instincts were right, as he wanted to be the one to tell them. But I guess he didn't let on how serious the incident was, and now his son is very hurt and lashing out --- partly at me but more at his dad. The son's wife texted me for a long time last night asking questions. Steve's aunt also was asking many, many questions, although she's level headed and just concerned, not angry. I'm somewhat second guessing my decision to let Steve be the one notifying his family, he tends to downplay the seriousness of health issues. His dad does the same thing when Steve's mom was in hospice, so it must be hereditary.

I'm glad I have BT to vent in relative privacy. Social media like Facebook can be great for getting news out quickly but it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

But fun stuff...assuming Steve checks out, next weekend I am planning to drive down to Brown County, Indiana, with my mountain bike. My daughter's BF's band (Grateful Dead tribute) is playing at a venue right next to the park entrance where Laura, Robin, myself and some other friends partook in a mountain bike clinic some years past. I haven't ever seen this band perform, so it's a great reason to make the drive.

On Monday afternoon, Steve was moved from ICU to a lower care room in the cardiac wing. He has improved immensely and it looks like he will get to go home today. The cardiac doctor released him and it's now up to another doctor (hematologist, I think) who monitors Steve's unstable hemoglobin levels and prescribed a couple of transfusions.

He had many friends visit him and that was great. One visitor is a local cyclist that we don't know very well, but this guy had the same type of heart attack about a year ago on a group ride and was revived by a couple of doctors who were also riding with him. He talked a lot about his experience and what to expect during rehabilitation. He's now back riding and working out.

Sunday I spent shuttling back and forth to the hospital and updating people on Steve's condition. Turns out he had ventricular fibrillation. The nurse told us it's referred to as The Widowmaker. He received two stents at St. John's in Springfield and is stable but still in ICU.

I've been able to learn the identities of the all but one of first responders who saved his life - a pediatric doctor from Decatur who, ironically, is someone we have ridden with several times and kind of know; an EMT who was doing his first Tour de Donut; a nurse from the town of Raymond; and another nurse whose identity is yet to be determined. And then of course the ER staff at the Staunton Hospital who were calm and quick to respond. After he had been stabilized somewhat and was talking with me, Steve had another attack and had to be shocked a second time. The ER doctor administered blood thinner drugs to break up the clot, which worked.

I don't know what an appropriate form of thanks for these people is --- do we send a card? Any ideas?

Everything is still fresh and raw and I keep circling back to a moment at the side of the road, watching the EMT's pouring out of the ambulance. I couldn't bear to watch them shock Steve and kind of averted my eyes but still heard the sounds and the commotion, and it kind of hit me that he might not live through this. Life can change very quickly.
I went ahead and added my Tour De Donut ride (partial ride) from yesterday, mostly so that I have some kind of tangible reminder of this day. At approximately mile 25 of the 34 mile ride, Steve suffered a heart attack and crashed. He was about ten minutes ahead of me, so thankfully I did not witness this, but instead came upon the scene and didn't realize who the rider on the ground was until I saw his riding buddy flagging me down.

Call it divine intervention, but there happened to be a couple of nurses and an EMT riding close by and they started CPR immediately. The ambulance arrived very quickly and they shocked Steve and took him to the Staunton hospital. Since they were working on him, I was not allowed to ride in the ambulance, but a policeman took me in his squad car.

Steve was somewhat lucid once stabilized but had another attack while I was in the room. He was shocked a second time; apparently there was a blockage and a blood clot had formed. Meds were administered to dissolve the clot and he was then taken by ambulance to Springfield, where we have a great cardiac care unit.

More updates later

abake's Training Log

July 2018 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Time
Distance
  • July's totals