Strength
  • 30m

10 min stairstepper
squats - 25#
leg press - 35#
leg curls - 30#, 40#
leg extension - 30#
10 min spin bike

I think it rained almost all night and the wind was howling. I'm sure all the beautiful leaves on our trees will be gone. Plan is to go to LA Fitness for strength work when they open up, then meet Patty and Ginger for breakfast. I've got a 3 hour ride on the Training Peaks schedule today and haven't quite figured out when or where that's going to happen. It's supposed to be a "strength" workout, where you ride for a bit and then put the bike in the biggest gear and grind out some slow intervals. Thinking about going to Centennial Park where I can ride on the grass trails for those.

Bike
  • 2h 07m
  • 27.00 miles
  • 12.76 Mi/hr

Gravel and back roads near Petersburg

I volunteered to lead a gravel ride for our club this morning. Late October is kind of a gamble as far as weather, so it was no surprise to see rain and wind in the forecast. Initially there were about 20 people who said they were going on the Facebook event page. I headed out early in the rain and my phone started pinging with people backing out due to the weather. Kind of hoped no one would show up and I could just go home and ride the trainer.

Just as I pulled into the visitors center at New Salem, another vehicle with a gravel bike on the back pulled in. Crap. It was a guy from Stonington, about an hour away. I had not met him before and he struck me as pleasant enough, but kind of weird. Steve usually goes on these rides as well, but he's in Florida until Monday. I texted my friend Joe to see if he was riding and he confirmed that he was about 5 minutes away. Whew.

We ended up with 5 riders, all of them friends except for new guy, and decided to shorten the route from 37 to 27 since the forecast was looking worse. I'm really glad we made this choice -- it wasn't too bad initially. Just light drizzle and a bit of a tailwind. At about the halfway point it started to rain harder and the wind picked up, and we fought the wind quite a bit on the home stretch. Just as we rode back into the parking lot the skies opened up and it started to rain heavily.

Afterwards we went to the brewery in Petersburg and had some good hot food.

Steve is flying down to Tampa for a short trip to visit his son. He's burning up a large bank of PTO time and also has some points for travel. I won't be on this trip, but that's ok, lots of fun stuff to look forward to this weekend. I'm leading a beginner-friendly gravel ride for the bike club tomorrow out in Cass County. I doubt there will be many beginners showing up, it will probably be mostly friends that I already ride with, so even better! After that we'll hit the Hand of Fate Brewery in Petersburg. Sunday morning is breakfast with Ginger and Patty. It's been FOREVER since I've seen either one IRL.

Meanwhile on the work front, schedule continues to be heavy but it's a bit more manageable. There's an impending rollout of new HR software and I've been helping the IT manager in a small capacity on this. The issue is that our HR Director is, for whatever reason, fighting everyone and everything on this. She has a reputation for being difficult to work with and I'm seeing a dark side of her. She has not done her part in this and I found she threw my department, IT and several others under the bus when asked about why the schedule keeps being pushed back. Uh, lady, sit down and do your work and stop checking Facebook all day and maybe we can move this forward.
Bike
  • 09m
  • -----
  • -----

spinning prior to weight work

Strength
  • 30m

4 x 8 squats with free weights
4 x 8 leg press using band
4 x 8 leg curl using fitness ball
balance board work

Sport
  • Yoga
  • 20m

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 15.00 miles
  • -----

Zwift

Strength
  • 12m
I'm really enjoying the off season plan --- the strength workouts are short enough to do on lunch hour which is a big plus.

Work is ramping up to be another crazy week. It's getting really old and takes a lot out of me but I will say that I've been sleeping really well this week. Maybe it's this cooler weather, but I'm out like a light when my head hits the pillow and I've been waking up feeling very refreshed.

Sport
  • HIIT
  • 30m

https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/ninos-circuit-training/

I'll categorize this as HITT although that's not really accurate. This is the "crazy" workout from Fascat Coaching that utilizes the balance board, hula hoop, etc. I've done it twice now and doubt I will ever master it, but it's a blast

Bike
  • 15m
  • -----
  • -----

spin bike before lifting

Strength
  • 15m

4 x 8 squats on the Smith rack, 10# weights
4 x 8 leg press, 35# each side
4 x 8 prone leg curls, 35#

Little tougher today

abake's Training Log