A shiny new decade stretches out before us! I've been on a kick to simplify and declutter life, and part of that includes a digital detox. I'll be taking a break from BT (and several other forms of social media) for the month of January to see how things go. Happy New Years BT!

-----
Dinner was a good time, I had a very tasty burger. My stomach is a little iffy this morning, hoping I'm not coming down with one of the many bugs making the rounds right now.

We have dinner tonight with some cycling friends at a restaurant in downtown Springfield. I expect we will be home by 9 and I doubt either of us makes it to midnight

Warm and windy outside --- it rained most of the night. Kind of yucky weather but at least we're not getting snow and ice.

We have a dinner thing with some of Steve's high school friends tonight. I'm a bit meh about it --- they're a nice bunch of people but we don't see them often enough to have much of a connection and the conversation seems to center around gossiping about other people from that class. I feel like they should get lives and not spend all their time talking about stuff that happened 40 years ago but whatever...

Bike
  • 3h 30m
  • 65.00 miles
  • 18.57 Mi/hr

Zwift - Group Ride Metric

Got up bright and early and joined a group ride on Zwift that was doing a metric century. It wasn't as painful as I had envisioned --- I think my average watts were around 120 which is just about perfect. Hit my 5,000 mile goal on Strava with this ride.

We're taking down most of Christmas today --- might leave up the lights on the outside porch and the small Christmas tree since it's so cute, plus easy to take down, but for the most part we're ready to bring in the New Year.

Lots of drama in our area yesterday --- around noon on Facebook I saw where an entire neighborhood in the older part of our village was being evacuated and the swat team was surrounding a house. Supposedly someone in the house had shot his mother in the head, was holding his sister hostage and had doused gasoline all around the house and was threatening to blow it up. So this turned out to be a prank. The family was fine and not at home, which is good because the swat team broke down the door. I hope whoever did this is caught and prosecuted to the max.

Then later there was a shooting outside the local mall. Steve and I had gone into town to make a trip to Lowes and noticed a lot of flashing red and blue lights in the area, so we avoided it. I guess they caught the idiot but jeez...

Bike
  • 1h 35m
  • 30.00 miles
  • 18.95 Mi/hr

Zwift workout

Steve's grandkids spent the night and will be with us until around noon, when their other grandparents pick them up. Their dad is a minister and is officiating at a wedding in Kansas City, which means an overnight stay. Steve and the oldest spent the afternoon assembling a piece of crap Hot Wheels track that was given to them as a gift --- the instructions were awful and in the end, it didn't go together quite like the illustration on the cover of the box but it somewhat works. By the end of the evening the two youngest had pretty much destroyed it anyway, so I suspect it's bound for the garbage soon.

Steve's right knee (he had left replaced two years ago) needs to be replaced and he's in constant pain. He was waffling on whether to do it early this year or at the end of the season. I pointed out that any events he might miss will be there next year. The constant pain is affecting his sleep now. So he's going to get it taken care of sooner rather than later, probably in February. Going to a different surgeon this time as his experience was less than stellar with the first replacement.

Work was quiet yesterday and I expect that trend will carry over to today -- lots of people just took the whole week off. Our Christmas was very nice and rather low key, which is how I like it.

Bike
  • 1h 06m
  • 20.50 miles
  • -----

abake's Training Log

January 2020 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31