Strength
  • 30m

21 Day Fix Extreme - Dirty 30

Sport
  • Aerobics
  • 30m

Jenny Ford Step Across America - Nevada
2nd time on this workout

Working from home today since we were traveling and exposed to who-knows-what. Our company is following CDC guidelines and it appears at least for the time being, that it's prudent to quarantine for 7 days after travel out of state. I think that's reduced from 10 days, so it's not a huge problem.

My mom called this morning, probably to be sure I got home in one piece but also to share her news that she has decided to get a total knee replacement. This will probably be in April or May. I have such mixed feelings about this, having seen Steve go through this surgery twice. He was in so much pain and had many side effects from the pain killers, so basically had to tough it out using just Advil. Mom is in great health but she is 86, but then again, she can't really walk any more and the shots aren't giving her much relief. It's a bit of a no-win situation.

Yesterday while riding on the bike path to get to the mtb trails, we ran into a couple we know who are 2 years older than us -- they are in great shape and the wife is a retired nurse. Turns out she picked up COVID somewhere but breezed through it with minor cold-like symptoms. Her husband was not so fortunate and ended up in the ICU for 12 days. He said he is still exhausted but is taking short bike rides to get some fresh air and is slowly recovering. It's so crazy how two people living under the same roof can be affected so differently by this virus.

Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 9.00 miles
  • 7.20 Mi/hr

Short mtb ride with Steve on the lake trails. Feeling kind of worn out and made some stupid mistakes, picking bad lines.

our flight home was uneventful and we were back home by 10 am. The cats were glad to see us but didn't seem as freaked out as usual. We let Terry the cleaning lady take care of them this time (first time) and she did a great job.

After a couple of days of inactivity, I really needed some exercise and we did a short mtb ride. I had heard there was a dead deer on one of the trails and sure enough, a good size doe lay literally ON a trail. The coyotes have been working on it, so there's that, but it bothered me to have to ride around her and I tried not to look. It's unclear who is responsible for removing the carcass, so it will probably just stay there. Might have to avoid that area for a while.

Got up, did some laundry and then packed and headed out. We had a hotel room at Punta Gorda, near the airport, and the drive across the everglades to get there made for a very long day. Traffic was really heavy around Naples and Fort Myers.

Drove down to Key West today and did the tourist thing and wandered around the Duval Street area. I did a dumb thing and wore flip flops which started rubbing blisters after about an hour. Had lunch at a good restaurant, went up in the lighthouse (all 88 steps!) and toured the lighthouse keeper's historic home.

More noseeum bites today, ugh
Sport
  • Snorkeling
  • 2h 00m

Snorkeling out on the reef

We took a snorkeling trip today on a boat with about 10 other people. Most were scuba diving, but there were enough snorkelers that I didn't feel self conscious. Years ago I took some scuba lessons but never got certified.

The boat went out about 4 miles to a reef and we explored the water for a long time, coming up once for a break and for the boat to move just a bit to a different area. Saw some gorgeous sea creatures --- beautiful schools of fish, parrot fish, angelfish, some cool blue fish that I can't remember the names, a 4-foot reef shark (scary!!), some very large and intimidating barracuda. The highlight was when the captain said to swim out to this big pole that was close by and look down --- there had been a pair of Goliath groupers hanging out for weeks there. I was blown away at how massive these fish are. One was probably 6 feet, the other 4 or 5 feet. They were just kind of hovering in the water.

Noticed later that the noseeum gnats were getting worse as the weekend wore on. Eventually it was so bad that we couldn't really go outside at the resort.

We left Sanibel Island in the morning and drove south to the keys and got settled in our hotel --- the Parmer Resort on Little Torch Key. Our first time in the keys. The key we were on was tiny, with only our hotel and a handful of houses and one beach bar. We did some walking through the neighborhoods, which were kind of odd, being a mix of new pricey homes and old run-down shacks. Maybe there's no zoning here?
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 25.00 miles
  • 16.67 Mi/hr

Rode over the causeway almost to Fort Myers and then turned around on the "last chance to change your mind about leaving the island" ramp and rode through some ritzy subdivsions on the east side of the island.

Steve and I went out for breakfast at the Lighthouse Cafe. I bought a couple of t-shirts and a jar of their homemade strawberry jam for my sister-in-law. Went back to the Sun Dial Resort and kind of hung out until it was time to ride.

There aren't a lot of options for riding on Sanibel --- I mean, it's an island so you can just ride round and round and back and forth. Some people are cool with that. Mike and Becky seem to be fine with it and judging by Strava, they dont' mind riding the same loop day in and day out.

They have been having some relationship problems, fairly serious actually. I won't go into a lot of detail but suffice it to say that Becky, who had retired from Memorial Hospital here in Springfield, renewed her dietician license and is putting out job applications in Fort Myers. It sounds like she plans to part ways with Mike eventually. That's probably a good thing. Becky's been hanging on to her futile dream of Mike marrying her for years now, even though he told her no, he didn't want to get married. Or rather, he told her sure they could get married as long as he could sleep with other women. WTF??? Who does that?

Sometimes I want to grab her by the shoulders and shout at her to get out of this going-nowhere arrangement.

abake's Training Log

December 2020 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • October's totals
  • September's totals