Bike
  • 2h 10m
  • 24.00 miles
  • 11.08 Mi/hr

Met Brenda and Joe at Centennial Park on the gravel bikes. It was 38 degrees and sunny and felt great. Wind was fierce out of the west. I hung shamelessly behind Joe. The return trip was fun with the tailwind

Sport
  • Yoga
  • 30m

Beachbody - Pure & Simple Yoga
Meh. Lots and lots of time and variations in plank, so more like an upper body workout than yoga. About 15 minutes in, the music changed to some fast belly-dancing type stuff, which was really distracting.

After riding in the morning, we went over to Hannibal to Steve's granddaughter Eleanor's 7th birthday. Her birthday isn't actually until December 23 but she gets a little shortchanged with having to share her birthday with all the Christmas goings-on. This was also the night for her dance recital, which was held at a big church next door to their house.

As these things do, the recital was a long affair. I think there were 23 different songs and about 6 different groups of kids. The dance teacher made a very nice announcement about how they were glad to be able to perform even though it had not been a good year for this type of thing. Katie had said that most of the classes were held via Zoom. Interestingly, the 3/4 year old kids seemed to have picked up their dance routines very well and there was even a tricky baton twirling number that amazed me.

Most of the the other kids just kind of got up on the stage and shuffled their feet. It was really cute but after nearly 2 hours, it was good to get up and head for home.

Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 10.00 miles
  • 7.50 Mi/hr

Bundled up and hit the mtb trails with Steve

Strength
  • 15m

Morning Meltdown - Core Inferno
Basic core stuff, crunches, bicycles, windshield wipers, side plank, etc.
Liked that this was short enough to keep me engaged

Sport
  • Aerobics
  • 1h 20m

Back to back -- did a Gin Miller "Everyone Steps" and then a Youtube video that had better music

Got out and walked this morning. It was about 26 degrees and there was frost on the grass and on rooftops. It's very pretty out but man, the bundling up that is involved with getting outside in this stuff is insane.

I would have wimped out on mountain biking but Steve was going either way and the thought of riding on the trainer AGAIN just sounded rough. It took a while to find all my cold weather gear. Layers go as follows:

2 pairs of Smartwool Socks
winter weight cycling tights
fleece lined tights over the top of those (in a cheerful holiday print!)
Cuddle Dud shirt
Firewall jacket
knit gloves + lobster claw gloves
neck gaiter
beanie hat
helmet

I felt like the little brother in A Christmas Story. It was cold riding down the paved trail but once in the woods, all was well. The local club built a new trail to reroute a badly eroded section on a steep hill and it was fun to ride. The ground was frozen and crunchy today. But my toes were pretty cold afterwards and I was ready to be done.

Went to Scheels later and did some last minute shopping. I'm in pretty good shape and just need to get stuff wrapped.

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 16.00 miles
  • 16.00 Mi/hr

Zwift

Sport
  • Aerobics
  • 1h 00m

Youtube Step/Body Conditioning Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VXIDg-H4U8

Really enjoyed this in spite of all the stupid Youtube ads --- still feel like I have two left feet much of the time but I figure I'm still working up a pretty good sweat

Even though I'm not a runner anymore (although I would like to be!) I still like wearing my running shoes, and realized that the shoes I have been wearing for walking were from 2015 and are completely worn out. Went to our local running store and after some deliberation with the sales girl, bought a pair of Brooks Ghosts. I'm excited to give them a try and maybe I'll even throw some jogging in there.

Steve and I drove through our local holiday light show "Light Up the Park" last night. The Jaycees put it together and every year it's bigger and brighter. It was great to see all the new displays and even with such a tough year for businesses, sponsorships seem to be up.

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 17.00 miles
  • 17.00 Mi/hr

Zwift

Strength
  • 15m

Morning Meltdown - Upbeat STrength

Sport
  • Aerobics
  • 30m

Jenny Ford - Step Across America - "New Mexico"
Ugh, there were some fancy moves in this one that caught me off guard. I might go back and try it again.

Pretty quiet day --- I went in the office for a couple of hours. One of my coworkers was in --- I hadn't seen him since March. He and his wife have a small coffee roasting business that they manage and pre-Covid, it was always a treat to smell and sometimes sample the coffees that he would bring in. He alluded that he is struggling with the WFH thing, as are so many. We had a good discussion about how, now that the vaccine is making its way into the masses and there's a true end in sight, things are looking up.

Sport #1
  • Aerobics
  • 20m

BOD Morning Meltdown - mini aerobics
Was in mood for something different

Sport #2
  • Aerobics
  • 30m

Jenny Ford - Step Across America - Tetons
Supposed to be harder than the prior workouts but it didn't challenge me all that much. There were a couple of quirky variations on the "V" step but otherwise it was very doable. Still worked up a good sweat

I got a reference from our vet for a pet sitter and today I met with her and decided that's who we will use when we are out of town in January. We'll let Terry or DD pet sit for shorter stints, but I need someone who is knowledgable about aquariums as well as cats. This young lady has a salt water aquarium and worked for 2 years at the local aquarium store before going back to school to become a vet assistant, so she passes the litmus test. My tank is a freshwater planted tank so there's extra maintenance besides just adding water and feeding the fish. She now works full time as a pet sitter and when Covid hit, had some scary months when trips were cancelled and thus her sitting jobs cancelled as well. Two of the local vets referred all nail trims and other small jobs to her to keep her business afloat (she had worked at both clinics) but it sounds like she had to tap into savings for a while. Anyway, I think she's going to be a great fit for us.

Other than that, I WFH'd and did some Christmas wrapping. In the evening we took a longish walk around the neighborhood and admired the lights. I have to say that our subdivision looks pretty beautiful this year.

Sport #1
  • Aerobics
  • 30m

Jenny Ford - Step Across America - Idaho
This was supposed to be a bit more challenging that the prior workout, but I didn't think it was all that tough. Still worked up a good sweat

Sport #2
  • Yoga
  • 55m

Yoga with Adrianne

Another day where it was supposed to be tolerably cold but ended up being way below my comfort level. The local mtb group put in a new trail this weekend and I'm itching to give it a try but it will have to wait. Worked on an easy project for the office and spent more time cleaning out emails, making sure work email isn't tied to any personal accounts, etc. I do get to keep the work email for a while so it's not like I'll be cut off on January 1.

This morning I went to check my gmail and got a scary error -- turns out Google had some kind of major outage and nothing was accessible for about an hour. This freaked me out since i'd moved all my photos, documents, etc. to my Google drive. All is well, however.

Bike
  • 1h 02m
  • 17.00 miles
  • 16.45 Mi/hr

Easy spin on Zwift

Sport
  • Aerobics
  • 30m

Jenny Ford - Step Across America - Colorado

Such a cold and overcast day. I think the high was 39 but it felt colder. Steve went out for a ride with some friends and took hours later to get his feet thawed out. Got some Christmas shopping and also ordered a couple of shirts that were on sale at Athleta.

abake's Training Log

December 2020 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • October's totals
  • September's totals