Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 21.00 miles
  • 14.00 Mi/hr

Did my morning loop, rode it backwards. Legs were tired and didn't have much snap

Sport
  • Pilates
  • 30m

21 Day Fix, Week 2, Pilates
Really enjoyed this class -- it used the stretchy bands

Yesterday the email came out that Dirty Kanza has been cancelled for 2020. I can't say it's a surprise and it's a bit of a relief. There's been a lot of controversy with this iconic gravel race this year -- Lifetime Fitness bought it out in 2019 but retained that original organizer, Jim Cummins, as local liaison and manager. Jim has the local connections with all of the ranchers who open up their land to let people ride on it during the race. Anyway, Jim was let go a few weeks ago as a result of some pro-police posts he made on his personal Facebook page. Some snowflakes apparently thought the Posts were racist. There was a huge shitstorm on social media about it. And now Lifetime is going to change the name of the event since some of these same people think using the word "Kanza" is racist. When does it all end?

Anyway, our options are to a) defer to 2021 b) defer to 2022 c) donate entry fees to the city of Emporia for use in their school programs or d) refund. it's not a cheap event -- it's not Ironman- level pricey but I'm so disgusted with Lifetime that I'm thinking I just want my money back.

Today will be working in the office part of the day, lunch at Mom's, a bike ride at some point. It's another super steamy day, ugh!

Swim
  • 15m
  • 500.00 yards
  • 03m /100 yards

Tiny swim celebrating first time back in water since October
4 x 25
2 x 50
1 x 100
2 x 50
4 x 25

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 15.00 miles
  • 15.00 Mi/hr

Waaaayyy too hot to ride outside today, fired up Zwift and did a workout that was a pretty good one.

Sport
  • Aerobics
  • 30m

21 Day Fix - Week 2 - Aerobics
OUch...

How can it be July 7 already?

Right before Covid-19 hit, I was thinking it would be great to start swimming just for general fitness. Then of course, all the gyms closed and pools have been off limits. I was able to get a lane reserved for this morning, and I'm looking forward to getting in the water.

Bike
  • 1h 25m
  • 21.00 miles
  • 14.82 Mi/hr

short little loop

Strength
  • 30m

21 Day Fix - Week 2 - Lower Fix

Sport
  • Yoga
  • 30m

21 Day Fix - Yoga

Weekend was good --- after bike riding in the morning, we helped with Steve's grandkids while their parent participated in the annual Mississippi Mud Volleyball tournament. the turnout was huge this year --- 67 teams. Katie and Daniel's team did well and made it pretty far, but got beat at an 8:00 PM game. I think they were ready to be done.

We had rented a room at the Best Western close to the tournament and took the gkids to the outdoor pool. It felt so great to be able to get in the water and cool off, and the pool was not really all that crowded.

I think I sweated off 4 or 5 pounds this weekend, and on Saturday took a record 4 showers - one after the bike ride, one after walking around downtown and sweating, one after swimming and another after watching the evening game. It's like there was absolutely no air flow along the levee, where the volleyball took place.

Our hotel room was great but no a/c in the common areas and this morning I thought the hallway smelled like someone had vomited. Ugh...good to be home.

Bike
  • 3h 29m
  • 39.21 miles
  • 11.26 Mi/hr

Gravel ride from Hannibal down to New London. Explored a new loop that turned out to be a really good route. Hit the Casey's in New London on the way back and chugged a peach ice tea and half a bottle of ice water.

When we got back to Hannibal, we rode the bike path up to the Sodalis Nature Preserve and stood in front of the caves to cool off in nature's air conditioning.

Bike
  • 3h 47m
  • 40.96 miles
  • 10.83 Mi/hr

got word that it was raining in Hannibal, so we stopped in Pittsfield and rode. we didn't have a route loaded on the Garmin, so Steve picked a random route using his phone version of Ridewith GPS, which is never a good idea. I recognized some of the roads but when Steve said "hey, turn here", I remembered this particular road which was really just a rutted dirt road going through some fields. I had ridden it a couple of years ago with Patty and Brenda, in the fall when the insects weren't so bad and the vegetation wasn't out of control. Remembered a pretty significant creek crossing that was wade-friendly on a good day. Today the creek was muddy and much deeper from all the rains. Steve waded out about 6 feet and then stepped off a ledge into much deeper water. It was dirty and had a current --- we turned around and spent about 20 minutes cleaning mud off the bikes and our shoes by standing in some water running across a rocky part of the road. Ugh...there was no good way to finish the route so we rode back the way we came. Good ride but hotter than hot...

Headed out of town for the weekend, will check back on Sunday. Happy Independence Day BT!

UPDATE - Even though the ride was somewhat of a cluster, we scored some Calhoun County peaches at a roadside stand on the way out of Pittsfield. Calhoun County (Illinois) is known for some of the best peaches in the midwest and to me, is a true rite of summer.

Bike
  • 3h 30m
  • 48.00 miles
  • 13.71 Mi/hr

abake's Training Log

July 2020 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31