Strength
  • 27m

80DO - Day 26 - Cardio Flow

I'm a day behind on 80 Day Obsession --- it's too much on my legs to try to do long rides AND these workouts on the same day. My legs were sore after Friday's leg workout and I felt it on Saturday. I might have to add more rest days and extend the program past 80 days.

My now-oldest cat, Ollie, who is 13 and somewhat vision impaired, has gotten very clingy since we lost BeeBee. He keeps wandering around the basement crying and wanting me to go down there with him. Since the basement is where BeeBee spent her days, I'm guessing that he's looking for her. It's only been 3 weeks so hopefully this resolves eventually. It's pretty disruptive, as he's a very large and thus, very loud cat.

AFTERNOON UPDATE
Feels like I'm coming down with something. My stomach was unhappy this morning but I'm struggling to decide if it was just something I ate. My throat is scratchy and became more so as the morning passed. I was in the office early but decided I better get home since we're not supposed to be in there if we are sick. Took my temp when I got home and if anything, it's too low, so not a fever. My brother's family have all been dealing with late summer colds so maybe that's what this is. Either way, I'm taking it easy.

Bike
  • 3h 20m
  • 46.00 miles
  • 13.80 Mi/hr

Great ride with Brenda and Lane

Our ride on Saturday was great --- it was good to see Barb, Joe and Brenda. We explored some new roads and revisited some old favorites. Had popsicles at the campground afterwards that really hit the spot. It had cooled down a little bit (still in the 80s but humidity was lower) and it's really starting to look and feel like fall is just around the corner. Purple asters and small yellow sunflowers are blooming everywhere in the ditches, and the corn and bean fields are drying up.

Dinner at Coopers Hawk was wonderful. We sat outside and enjoyed the nice evening. Had waaayy too much food and brought enough home for another meal. I don't drink much these days and had two glasses of wine. This morning I've got just the slightest touch of a headache.

On tap for today is a 45 mile ride with Brenda and a new-to-gravel-riding girl, Lane. Lane borrowed someone's CX bike and is wanting to get her own gravel rig. She did IMMOO a few years back but was a one-and-done person (like me) and now just runs.

Bike
  • 4h 37m
  • 60.70 miles
  • 13.15 Mi/hr

Long gravel and back road ride

Heading out to Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Park for a group gravel ride, we're headed west toward the town of Virginia and exploring some new roads. There are a couple of very old (circa 1830) churches out that way that are still in use and I'd like to take some pics.

Then tonight we have reservations at Coopers Hawk (sitting outdoors). Hopefully the cooldown that is predicted really happens.

Bike
  • 1h 32m
  • 21.00 miles
  • 13.70 Mi/hr

Easy spin on the gravel bike

Strength
  • 48m

80DO Day 25 - Legs

Steve's DD and her family spent much of Thursday with us --- their a/c (heat pump) went belly up on Wednesday and it looks like parts won't be available for several weeks, thanks to Covid. They managed to borrow a couple of window units for the duration.

Big fun stuff today --- our hot tub will be delivered this morning! We had a landscape company build a patio (stone pavers) in the back yard and they finished up yesterday. It looks so nice that I almost don't like the idea of covering much of it up with a hot tub.

In the process of building a walkway to the new patio, most of the landscaping along that part of the house was sacrificed. I can't say I'm sad, it was a lot of day lilies and purple salvia which had all gotten very sparse and scraggly and needed to be divided up. The landscapers saved me from having to do that. Thinking we'll just put some kind of shrub in there with a ground cover.

Strength
  • 48m

80DO - Day 24 - AAA

Found a gravel race that's taking place in Sumner, Missouri, which is about a 3 hour drive. It's on the same day as the now-cancelled Little Sugar, which we were signed up to ride. It looks like a good event and gives me something to train for.

Today will be 80DO, maybe some yoga and most likely more Zwifting. It's still supposed to be crazy hot and humid here --- I'm really ready for some fall temps.

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 16.00 miles
  • 16.00 Mi/hr
Strength
  • 35m

80DO - Day 23 - Cardio Flow
This one is sneaky, it always seems pretty do-able at first but by the end I was drenched with sweat

It's officially too hot (for me at least) to be doing any outdoor activities. Heat index has been over 100 since Sunday and probably will stay there until at least Thursday. Ugh...

Bike
  • 55m
  • 16.00 miles
  • 17.45 Mi/hr

Zwifting

Strength
  • 53m

80DO - Day 22 - Booty

Got the email yesterday that our last event of 2020, the Big Sugar Gravel Race in Bentonville, Arksas, will not take place this year. We've got the option to defer or get a refund. Need to see what Steve wants to do. My friend Brenda is inclined to defer until 2022, which is an option. It's a Lifetime Fitness event, so they do have their gym memberships to sustain them, but I have to wonder what kind of an impact all of these cancellations will have on that company and if the race will even happen in 2022.

abake's Training Log

August 2020 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance
  • September's totals
  • August's totals