Bike
  • 3h 12m
  • 46.00 miles
  • 14.37 Mi/hr

Had a very nice Mother's Day --- we went out to breakfast and then over to my Mom's to take her some flowers. My brother and SIL were there and we had a good visit. No workouts today and it was raining and cold all day, so once home, it was a great day to lay low and catch up on rest
Bike
  • 2h 20m
  • 19.00 miles
  • 8.14 Mi/hr

Zwift - hilly route in Watopia

Got the flower planters completed -- I might get a few more annuals and pull one more pot together but really, I think we can call it good. it was really cold and kind of windy today, so I rode on Zwift rather than bundling up.

Our neighbors 3 doors down had an informal get together in their garage and we hung out for about an hour there --- they're about 10 years younger and super funny. I haven't laughed that much in a long time. It was great to get out.

Bike
  • 5h 14m
  • 65.00 miles
  • 12.42 Mi/hr

Parked in Louisiana, MO and rode north to Hannibal along Highway 79. This is kind of the go-to ride for hill training, lots of triathletes do this route in preparation for Madison.

Had my fingers crossed that my road bike would cooperate on our ride today --- no issues at all. There's a big climb on one of the Mississippi River bluffs that I've not been able to climb and have walked in the past, and today was able to ride it, albeit very slowly. Between a better bike fit, modifications to the drive train and maybe some improved fitness, the hills were challenging but didn't seem impossible.

We rode to Hannibal and met Katie and Marshall (Steve's DD and Grandson) for lunch at Java Jive. Steve was a little ahead and rushing to get to the cafe, so Larry and I were back about two blocks. We came through a busy (well, as busy as Hannibal gets) intersection where there was a lot of truck traffic and I thought I heard a crash and some yelling and panicked, thinking Larry had been hit by a vehicle. Turns out he got a flat tire and the noise I heard was the tube blowing. We walked to the cafe and Larry ordered lunch, then changed the tube.

We rode back to Louisiana (out and back course along 79) and had a tailwind for much of the return leg which drastically improved the experience. Even so, I was absolutely done by the time we got back to the van.

Bike
  • 1h 19m
  • 23.00 miles
  • 17.47 Mi/hr

Round the Salisbury Loop with Steve, Steve S, and Larry

It's crazy windy and really cold again -- is this May? Sure doesn't feel like it. We went and bought most of our annuals today at a small grocery store in Springfield, after going to Ace, Meijer and Menards, where there are definitely supply issues. Normally by Mother's Day weekend, most of the flowers are available. I like to buy lantana and wave petunias, and the grocery store was the only place that had those.

Which reminds me last year when the pandemic was still fresh, the flowers were late then as well.

I'm down 5 lbs this week. It has to be the biking because I haven't really changed up my diet. Whatever it is, I'll take it and fingers crossed this trend continues.

Bike
  • 1h 19m
  • 23.00 miles
  • 17.47 Mi/hr

Wheelfast ride

Our LBS had its first group ride tonight and there was a huge turnout. Saw people I hadn't seen since before the pandemic.

Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 20.00 miles
  • 15.00 Mi/hr

Zwift

Rained all day -- rode the trainer. The grass needs to be cut and it's waaaay too wet to get out there.

abake's Training Log

May 2021 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance
  • September's totals
  • August's totals