Bike
  • 3h 53m
  • 56.00 miles
  • 14.42 Mi/hr

Nice road with Steve and Larry

Got out for a good road ride today with a fair amount of climbing. It was hot enough when we finished that the tar was rising up in little bubbles on some of the roads.

Strength
  • 17m

Medicine Ball Youtube workout

Other than a 17 minute med ball workout that I found on Youtube, today was a rest day. I let my Beachbody subscription lapse so I'm relying on Youtube for some quality workouts --- Amazon Prime wants to charge for all the videos I used to watch for free. Granted it's a small charge, .99 in most cases, but still!

I took lunch over to Mom's and my sister joined us. Made a simple summer salad with chicken, strawberries, blueberries, bleu cheese and spring mix lettuce and had sherbet for dessert. I think Mom liked it -- at least she ate quite a bit and asked if she could keep the sherbet. So it sounds like her appetite is returning. Just for good measure, I left some Ensure there that hopefully she will like.

Bike #1
  • 1h 25m
  • 20.00 miles
  • 14.12 Mi/hr

Road ride with Steve

Bike #2
  • 1h 20m
  • 18.00 miles
  • 13.50 Mi/hr

Bike Club evening gravel ride

The weather finally cooperated for the evening gravel ride that I will be leading this summer. Turnout was great and I think everyone had a good time. Also got a short road ride in the morning with Steve.

Took Mom to her PT appointment. She was assigned a different therapist this time and I recognized the name as someone I used to run with waaaaaaayyyy back in the Abe's Army days (would have been around 2003). Sure enough, she also recognized me. And my mom really liked her, so that was a major win.

Mom's in a lot of pain and not sleeping very well, and has lost some weight (which she really didn't have to lose in the first place). I'm taking over some Ensure and other quick but nutritious fare today to get her through this rough patch of healing.

And, I am probably getting a new road bike and trading in the old Pinarello. But more on that later

Bike
  • 3h 15m
  • 41.00 miles
  • 12.62 Mi/hr

Bike club gravel ride

Had our bike club gravel ride today --- we rode the route that Steve and I checked out on Friday. Turnout was great --- there were about a dozen riders. Couple of flat tires but no one had to call for a ride. There's one guy who has showed up for all of my club gravel rides and while he's a very nice individual, he really has no business on these rides. Like clockwork, at around mile 25 he started to drop back and fall further and further behind. He's always unprepared and won't use a Garmin or any other kind of navigation, so the ride leader (me) has to hang back with him.

The last 15 miles took over 2 hours with this guy --- he would pedal a bit and then have to stop, walked all the hills (both up and down) and Just generally was having a bad time of it. I would be sympathetic but I'm not any more; I learned that his riding friends have talked to him about training up for the distance, working on nutrition, etc. He just wants to drink water, nothing with electrolytes that would help on a hot day. I think he took one granola bar for the entire day.

In the evening we went to the local wine bar and watched a friend's band playing. Good times!

Bike
  • 3h 00m
  • 40.00 miles
  • 13.33 Mi/hr

Bike club ride

Our bike club had the first ride of the new series today --- turnout was great. I led a 40 mile group and had a couple of ladies stick with me as we toured Sangamon County. Steve volunteered at an aid station and then came to the rescue when one in my group got a flat tire and we could not get the tire off.

In the afternoon we went to Steve's sister's for a family get together. There was way too much food but we have some tasty leftovers now.

Bike
  • 2h 45m
  • 41.00 miles
  • 14.91 Mi/hr

Pike County gravel ride

Another day with no workouts other than yoga. In the morning we had carpet cleaners come in, which pretty much ate up the morning, and then I drove Mom to a PT appointment after lunch. The PT was very pleased with Mom's progress. We took the walker and cane in, but it sounds like the walker will be retired very soon.

I get headaches when the summer heat hits --- August is usually prime time but now that it's getting into the 80s, the headaches are here. I read a little bit about them and appears that it's the big swing in temperature that can cause this. That made sense since it's always when it gets hot really fast. Whatever, but yesterday I went down in the basement and lay on the couch with a cold washcloth over my eyes. That helped a lot.

abake's Training Log

May 2021 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance
  • September's totals
  • August's totals