We left Michigan at 7 in the morning and got back home shortly after lunch. Traffic was easy, even around Chicago, and there was no construction going on, so it was smooth sailing. Now to unpack, catch up on laundry, etc.
Bike
  • 8h 12m
  • 99.00 miles
  • 12.07 Mi/hr

Michigan Gravel Coast Loop

Steve, Mike P and I did the 100 mile option for the Michigan gravel race. It started at Stearns Beach in Ludington, on the shores of Lake Michigan, and headed east for a big loop through the Manistee National Forest.

Weather was good --- overcast with low winds which you really didn't feel except in the first and last 15 miles. In the woods, there was no wind, just some light drizzle. The roads are packed sand and for the most part, were in great shape. There were some hike-a-bike sections where the sand was loose and deep, and some big puddles on some of the fire roads.

We stopped at a general store in the town of Dublin to get water and some food --- lots of riders were doing that. In retrospect, we should have just figured out a way to get supplies to the checkpoint, as I missed a podium spot by 3 minutes. But it's all good, I really enjoyed this ride and needed a positive experience after all the drama in Colorado.

Pouring down rain. I felt bad for the gravel riders who were doing the 200 mile option. The DNF rate was 42%, with lots of destroyed drivetrains and damage from the sand.

We actually considered turning around and going home but decided to wait until Sunday morning to see what the weather held before making that decision.
Violent t-storms last night, the kind that wake you up with loud claps of thunder. There's some rain in the forecast for Michigan but hopefully it doesn't amount to much.
Rainy day with an afternoon thunderstorm. I decided to just do some restorative yoga and not worry about getting in a trainer ride, hopefully that will help this head cold heal more quickly.

In the morning we will head up to Ludington, Michigan, for the 100 mile Michigan Coast gravel race. After Ride the Rockies, I was feeling like maybe I wanted to take a pass on this but now am getting excited about the event. I haven't spent much time in Michigan and am looking forward to some cooler temps and forest roads.
Strength
  • 15m

Resistance bands

Gorgeous day! Did yoga on the deck for the first time this year since it was a) not raining and b) not 90 degrees.

Lunch at mom's and then dinner with some friends. It was really a nice day.

Bike
  • 2h 43m
  • 37.45 miles
  • 13.79 Mi/hr

Road ride with Steve. Felt like of blah, my head cold/sinus issue that started in Colorado seems to be gaining momentum. We were 2 miles from the bike trail (and thus close to the end of the ride) and the road was closed due to some construction on a culvert. Options were to either turn around and ride on a very unsafe, busy road, turn around and go back another way, adding about 8 miles to the ride, or hiking through an alfalfa field to skirt around the construction. We went with the latter.

My sore throat that started last week turned into a head cold --- seems like there's something going around. My friend Mary has been fighting this for over a week. She even lost her sense of taste and smell and went twice to get tested for COVID. Negative, just a bad cold.

It cooled off a little and was actually 49 degrees this morning! There's been some rain and our flowers have never looked better. Everything is in bloom right now. A couple of years ago I planted a little lavender plant in the front garden area and it's covered in flowers. Smells so good when you go outside!

abake's Training Log

June 2021 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Time
Distance
  • August's totals
  • July's totals