Steve and I headed out for the Dust Bowl 100 (we are actually riding the 80 miler) this afternoon. Brenda followed along. There aren't many hotel option near the race venue in Eminence, IN, but the organizers offered a good rate at either the Staybridge Suites or Holiday Inn hotels near the Indianapolis airport. We chose the STaybridge, Brenda had the Holiday Inn. The two hotels sit right next to each other so it seemed like a good option.

Traffic going through Indy was typical for a Friday afternoon. Was glad that Steve was driving. We got to the hotels and Brenda learned that the Holiday Inn was hosting a huge Harley Davison rally that was raising money for St. Jude. The hotel was calling guests and just giving them fair warning about the rally. What the hotel was NOT warning guests about was the stage in the parking lot --- evidently there would be live bands. Ugh...not good for trying to get a good night's sleep.

So Brenda was able to switch over to our hotel after she had already checked in. Helped her gather her stuff and move it to the Staybridge Suites. We went to packet pickup at a local brewery and had dinner there. Really good fare.

NO SLEEP TONIGHT!!! We went to bed around 9 PM. The band next door was in full swing --- heavy rock. I was sleeping close to the window and while it wasn't necessarily loud since we were one parking lot over, the vibrations from the heavy bass were really jarring and I just lay there with a pillow over my head. True to form, Steve slept through it.

The band stopped around 11 pm and I was just drifing off to sleep when the sound of little girls' shrieking and laughing started up. A freaking birthday party in the room literally across the hall. We were in a short little hallway and it was just our room and the birthday girl room. And the walls seemed to be quite thin.

Lay in bed until 1:30 listening to doors slamming, kids running and laughing, screaming until I couldn't stand it anymore. Steve went down to the front desk and lodged a polite complaint, and the noise seemed to abate for a while, only to start up again at 4 AM. that point it was time to get up.

Grumpy doesn't begin to describe my state of mind.
  • 3h 06m
  • 42.59 miles
  • 13.74 Mi/hr

EZ ride on the gravel bike

Low key day. Went out for a ride on the gravel bike and rode some of the country roads near the town of Berlin. At the top of a little hill, I stopped because there was an older man at the bottom of the hill and he was standing very still while a little fawn approached him. Watched the fawn walk close enough that the man could have touched it (he did not), and then turn and run into some tall grass along a creek.

I talked to the guy briefly -- turns out he and his wife live right there and they have been seeing this fawn by itself for about a week. They don't know where the mother is, if the fawn is an orphan or what. It's old enough to be eating grass but probably still nursing a bit.

Took a rest day and did absolutely nothing workout-wise.
  • 4h 00m
  • 62.00 miles
  • 15.50 Mi/hr

  • 1h 13m
  • 18.20 miles
  • 14.96 Mi/hr

Monday Night Gravel

At last, a Monday night with no rain --- was able to have the Monday Night Gravel ride that I lead. We had a small but speedy group. Afterwards we hung out talking in the parking lot until mosquitoes came out and cut things short.

  • 3h 42m
  • 55.00 miles
  • 14.86 Mi/hr

Monster Metric (we didn't quite do the metric distance)

Our LBS held their annual ride today with a few twists --- they moved the start from a local park to the elementary school so that they could use the kitchen and dining hall facilities, and went to a system of 3 20-mile loops so that riders could pick and choose what they wanted to do. This worked out great, good times were had by all.

Day started off with finding some unauthorized charges on a credit card I keep just for emergencies. Took a while to get in touch with a real person at Bank of America but was able to resolve the matter quickly once I did.

Then it was off to the Kids' Triathlon at Lincoln Park in Springfield. Steve's granddaughters, Zayli (10) and Eleanor (7) were competing and I helped out at registration, then went to watch them. The girls did great --- they have been taking swimming lessons and are improving. Eleanor is the more athletic of the two and she zipped across the water like a little champion and ended up taking first place in her division.

Had some of Steve's family over for lunch after the tri -- we just ordered Jimmy Johns and put out some sides and had an easy meal. I think we'll do this again in lieu of the usual enormous dinner we usually have. Cleanup was easy and there weren't a lot of leftovers.

All in all, a pretty good day

abake's Training Log

 July 2021 
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
  • September's totals
  • August's totals
  • 2021 totals
  • 2020 totals