Bike
  • 57m 46s
  • 15.29 miles
  • 15.88 Mi/hr

Little loop up to Walnut, then back down past home and into North Linden to pick up the truck for work.
Felt fine. Not great. I could definitely feel Sunday's ride in my legs, plus stiffness in my knee from Monday's lack of activity.

Off day! Just sleeping in (til 6:45!) and eating today.
Bike
  • 6h 52m 19s
  • 120.02 miles
  • 17.47 Mi/hr

Oh yeah.
That was awesome.
Longest ride ever.
Alone.
No gloves.
Two stops for water/bathrooms.
Felt better at mile 115 than I did at mile 40. Go figure. Knee = not a factor.

Run
  • 16m 26s
  • 1.86 miles
  • 08m 50s /Mi

David surprised me by encouraging me to head out for a transition run after my super long ride. I felt great, and he was offering to be in charge of the kids even longer, so naturally I left! I tried to slow it down but really couldn't. High HR is climbing the hill back toward the house.

Swim
  • 1h 30m
  • -----
  • -----

Alum Creek beach, along the buoys.
Probably did 3 miles. Also practiced my beach starts.

Run
  • 25m 04s
  • 2.86 miles
  • 08m 46s /Mi

Yes. Yes yes yes!
Running!
Goal was to run 20 minutes as an experiment.
I actually did 30 minutes. The stopwatch shut off for a few minutes somehow without me noticing.
It felt so good to be running, I went kinda fast.

• Health data: Sick: 1
Bike
  • 2h 00m 05s
  • 35.00 miles
  • 17.49 Mi/hr

Trainer ride.
Felt good the whole time. Knee is making progress. Still can feel the fluid in there, but not much pain. Just stiffness.

• Health data: Sick: 2
Bike
  • 1h 30m 07s
  • 26.05 miles
  • 17.34 Mi/hr

Trainer workout. (Had to get started long before the sun today.)
Felt good. This is a pretty typical pace for me on the trainer. I still have stiffness and discomfort, especially in certain knee positions. It didn't get any worse though. If I felt weirdness, I would just increase my cadences some and try to flush it out. I was able to push a hard gear for a while and it didn't feel any worse than riding easy.

Run
  • 58m 26s
  • 3.75 miles
  • 15m 35s /Mi

Walk.
After 45 minutes, I ran for 1 minute and it did NOT feel good. Hopefully will feel better Saturday.

Sport
  • Yoga
  • 50m

Swim
  • 1h 30m
  • -----
  • -----

Outdoor lap pool today with some ACC peeps.
Did an endurance workout from the Gale book. Also tried to keep up with Frank on a couple hundreds and was really red-lining it. That felt good to push like that.
Doc was there and said I'm not pushing my knee enough. He said I need to be stretching it and exercising it more. So, no sympathy there, LOL.

Well, that's just about enough feeling sorry for myself

OK, well that was a nice few days of moping around.

That's over now.

I need to do more stretching and moving my knee during the day. It's worst when I am just sitting around for a long time. It stiffens up, even with ice on it regularly. I saw Doc at swimming today and he said to suck it up and bend it, even if it's uncomfortable. I didn't damage it from overuse or pulling a tendon/ligament. It was a blow, just like if I hit my arm on something. I'm not helping myself trying to limit mobility.

So here's my plan:

Hourly: Get up, stretch, bend it as far as I can. Do a few SLOW squats. Go up and down the stairs 2-3 times. Then ice.
Every four hours: Ibuprofen and some gentle massage of knee area.

I figured out what I hit my knee on. When the front wheel and handlebars flipped over as I was skidding, my knee connected with the flat metal piece that the elbow pad is mounted on. See the curved elbow pads in the picture? There's a metal piece underneath the padding that anchors them and follows the same contour - that's what I hit, I'm pretty sure. I think I was skidding and my knee was coming up toward my chest right when the front wheel caught the grass and the whole front end flipped. That must have been when my knee connected with the metal. I have a horizontal mark on my knee, with almost no abrasion, so the shiny metal fits the bill for a suspect.

Nancy Kerrigan had the best performance of her life seven weeks after suffering a severe striking blow to the knee from a metal baton.

I can do it in 3.5 weeks.

Watch me.

alicefoeller's Training Log

August 2010 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Time