Bike
  • 3h 06m
  • 42.59 miles
  • 13.74 Mi/hr

EZ ride on the gravel bike

Low key day. Went out for a ride on the gravel bike and rode some of the country roads near the town of Berlin. At the top of a little hill, I stopped because there was an older man at the bottom of the hill and he was standing very still while a little fawn approached him. Watched the fawn walk close enough that the man could have touched it (he did not), and then turn and run into some tall grass along a creek.

I talked to the guy briefly -- turns out he and his wife live right there and they have been seeing this fawn by itself for about a week. They don't know where the mother is, if the fawn is an orphan or what. It's old enough to be eating grass but probably still nursing a bit.

Took a rest day and did absolutely nothing workout-wise.
Bike
  • 4h 00m
  • 62.00 miles
  • 15.50 Mi/hr

Bike
  • 1h 13m
  • 18.20 miles
  • 14.96 Mi/hr

Monday Night Gravel

At last, a Monday night with no rain --- was able to have the Monday Night Gravel ride that I lead. We had a small but speedy group. Afterwards we hung out talking in the parking lot until mosquitoes came out and cut things short.

Bike
  • 3h 42m
  • 55.00 miles
  • 14.86 Mi/hr

Monster Metric (we didn't quite do the metric distance)

Our LBS held their annual ride today with a few twists --- they moved the start from a local park to the elementary school so that they could use the kitchen and dining hall facilities, and went to a system of 3 20-mile loops so that riders could pick and choose what they wanted to do. This worked out great, good times were had by all.

Day started off with finding some unauthorized charges on a credit card I keep just for emergencies. Took a while to get in touch with a real person at Bank of America but was able to resolve the matter quickly once I did.

Then it was off to the Kids' Triathlon at Lincoln Park in Springfield. Steve's granddaughters, Zayli (10) and Eleanor (7) were competing and I helped out at registration, then went to watch them. The girls did great --- they have been taking swimming lessons and are improving. Eleanor is the more athletic of the two and she zipped across the water like a little champion and ended up taking first place in her division.

Had some of Steve's family over for lunch after the tri -- we just ordered Jimmy Johns and put out some sides and had an easy meal. I think we'll do this again in lieu of the usual enormous dinner we usually have. Cleanup was easy and there weren't a lot of leftovers.

All in all, a pretty good day

abake's Training Log

July 2021 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • July's totals