- Time: 45m
- Breakthrough: Warm-up well for 10' and then do 30 x 30 seconds at 90% effort (9 on 1-10 RPE scale) with 30-second spin recoveries. Stop if speed drops by 1 mph (1.5 kph). Rolling starts, standing, big gear. Get to top end quickly. Cool down 5' easily and stretch.
- Time: 1h 00m
- TREADMILL WORKOUT:
- WU:1 mile
- MS: Then 15x1' alternating 4% grade, 4.5% grade and 5% grade. Easy 1.5' between each effort. HR should move up to sub LT - about 8-12 beats below.
- CD: 1 mile cool down
- Time: 1h 15m
- Distance: 3700.00 yards
- WU: 400
- MS: Swim 800 w/1' rest. Even split the 800.
- Then 2x50 drill - on 20" rest.
- Then 2x400 Even split - stay the same pace throughout. Rest is 20".
- Then 2x50 drill on 20" rest.
- 4x200 Even Split - make these 10" rest.
- 2x50 drill on 20" rest.
- Swim 200 ez.
- Then 4x50 FAST! on 1' rest.
- CD: 200 Warm-down
- Time: 35m
- 12' warmup, then 5x10-20" at 90% effort. with 1' recovery. Increase the effort on each 10-20" effort. Then the fun begins: Pedal as hard as you can for 20", then recover for 10" - no more than 10" - do as many reps as you can - MAX of 8 reps! Note your wattage for each rep. Do a nice easy 10' cool down. Total time of 25-35'. Good luck!
- Time: 35m
- Breakthrough: Warm-up well for 15' and then run 10 x 30 seconds at a pace about 20 seconds per mile faster than your 5k race pace per mile. Recover by jogging easily for 30 seconds after each. You should cover half of the fast rep distance during your jog (for example, run 150 in 30 seconds, jog 75 in 30 seconds). Stop when you can no longer maintain the targeted pace. Cooldown for 10'. This is best on a track or other measured course so that pace may be monitored.
- Time: 1h 00m
- Distance: 3000.00 yards
- WU: 200 yds of different strokes.
- MS: 1,000 time trial.
- Then 500 pull with paddles.
- Then 2 x (200 yd free w/ 20" rest, 150 yd free w/ 15" rest, 100 w/ 10" rest, 50 w/ 1' rest).
- CD: 300
- Time: 2h 10m
- 15' warm up - nice smooth spinning - then shift into a the big chain ring and into a gear that allows you to spin at about 65-70 RPMs. You will spin 3x30 minutes in this gear - HR should be mid-high Z2 - recovery will be 5' easy between sets - you will probably see HR drift into Z3 - keep the cadence up - this is where you build strength. 10' cool down.
- Time: 30m
- Distance: 1500.00 yards
- WU: 300 of any stroke, distance, amount of rest between.
- MS: 1,000 total of any stroke, drills, distance, pace, or rest between (be creative!)
- CD: 200 cooldown non-stop freestyle.
- Time: 1h 25m
- Run on a flat course or treadmill. 15' Z1, then 3x15' at Z2 (about 20 bpm below LT), with an easy 5' Z1 in between and then 10' Z1.
Comments and Definitions
'Pull' Drill - Focus will be on learning to 'catch' the water with your forearm and pull yourself through the water. If you feel your lats (the muscles under your arm pits that go down the side of your back) engage, then you are starting to get it. If your shoulders are tired, then you are still using too much shoulder and not enough lats.