General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for my first triathlon (mini sprint) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-06 1:59 AM

New user

Subject: Training for my first triathlon (mini sprint)

I just recently have been thinking about competing in a triathlon. I currently workout, my goal being to build muscle. I have pretty bad stamina. I look at these triathlon lengths and think how in the world?! So i saw a mini sprint in my area that doesn't seem too bad for my first. I have 2 full months to train for it, is this a reasonable goal?

Also, i still want to gain muscle, but i have heard cardio and bodybuilding dont go together. Is this true? Does anyone train cardio and have good stamina while still actually gaining muscle? Any feedback would be great.  

2009-02-06 2:34 AM
in reply to: #1948405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: RE: Training for my first triathlon (mini sprint)
I'd pick one of the beginner couch-to-sprint triathlon plans, and see if you can adjust to how much time you have left before your tri. If you can start on, say, week 4 or 5 of a 12-week program then get going on it and have fun.

I personally was so out of shape I needed 22 weeks of the couch-to-tri training before I was even ready to dare attempt my first triathlon. Good luck. You've chosen a great, new hobby!
2009-02-06 6:23 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Just wanted to jump in and say good luck.  My first tri is a mini the end of March.  I can't tell you if 2 months is reasonable as I don't know your base.  For me the run/ride portion I was ready last month but the swim (200meters) is just now becoming a reality.  Post your base and maybe one of the experts can comment.
2009-02-06 10:08 AM

To the OP...I was in the same position as you last year at this time. I had been lifting weights very religiously and was beginning to have great sucecss in building muscle. When I decided to try triathlons I decided to start with a sprint as I am not a very good swimmer.

I began with a training plan and was also working in my weight workouts as well. Things were going well on both ends. About the middle of summer I came to a point where I just didnt have the energy to do both any more, so I had to make the decision whether I wanted to keep trainging for the tri or keep lifting weights. I chose the tri. I was now able to focus much more on the multi sport side of things. i would throw in an easy lifting session here and there, but nothing close to what I was doing before.

I found that my cardio workouts were much more beneficial after I cut back on my weight lifting. My range of motion had increased due to less muscle fatigue/constriction from lifting weights, which really helped me in the pool. I also felt that I had much more time and energy to devote to the triathlon.

As I saw my muscle mass start to decline,it was a little sad, but on the other hand my fitness level was increasing greatly.

I guess what I am getting at is that if you can manage both then go for it. You are going to love the tri lifestyle. But I think you will have much more succes if you focus more on tri training and use the weights in favor of that training.

Weight training and endurance training do not match well for some, others have no problems. I would say if you plan on competing in triathlons in the future then weight lifting should take a back seat. If its somethign you really like to do and you want to do tri's for pleasure then by all means do both.

2009-02-06 10:18 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Eager - 2009-02-06 12:59 AM

I just recently have been thinking about competing in a triathlon. I currently workout, my goal being to build muscle. I have pretty bad stamina. I look at these triathlon lengths and think how in the world?! So i saw a mini sprint in my area that doesn't seem too bad for my first. I have 2 full months to train for it, is this a reasonable goal?

Also, i still want to gain muscle, but i have heard cardio and bodybuilding dont go together. Is this true? Does anyone train cardio and have good stamina while still actually gaining muscle? Any feedback would be great.

Cardio and bodybuilding go fine together. Endurance racing and bodybuilding, not so much. Large muscles have two drawbacks for endurance type events, the first being they weigh more, so it's more mass to haul around. The second being, larger muscles consume more oxygen which is also a detriment. 

And it's certainly possible to train to complete a sprint tri in 2 months. Get hopping!

John 

2009-02-06 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
New York
First Congrats for going after your first tri. Are you trying to build muslce or "get big"? There is a difference. Most likely you will build lean slowtwitch muscle while traing for the tri. You can continue to lift weights but it will be much more difficult to put on size due to all of the calories you will be burning. While ramping up in your cardio I would suggest to try and maintian the muscle mass you have and if you want to add size do it after the tri.

2009-02-06 10:34 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Welcome to the dark side!  You can easily get ready for a mini sprint as they are not all that demanding in the big picture.  If you can swim bike and run currently you will be able to finish without any major problems.

To improve, just make sure you are consistent in your training.  Definitely check out some of the BT plans for shorter distances.  You can probably comfortably prepare using the 2x plan (2 times a week in each discipline).

And if lifting is your thing, you can certainly make the time to continue that.  Will it benefit you in your tri racing?  The jury is still out but the consensus is it will not make you swim/bike/run faster.  But that should not stop you from doing something you enjoy.

2009-02-06 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Emphasis on everything that's already been said - congrats and have fun!
2009-02-06 11:18 AM

New user

Wow, thank you all for the replies. You have really helped me out.

I lift weights for bigger muscles. Hmm, what i will probably do is keep weight lifting but cut it down to 3 days a week, and also do training for the endurance. If it gets to be too much, or i dont see as much improvment as i would like, i will stop lifting weights.

I dont know what you mean by base. But if you mean like if i can actually do a mini sprint length at the moment then i think i can, i havn't really tested myself yet though. I like JUST got interested in doing a triathlon :P When i was trying a 500 meter swim almost 2 years ago, i got about 100m and felt like i was about to pass out. I definitely got to work on swimming. I have riden bikes for a long time, but like bmx bikes. I dont even have a mountain bike or one of those really light bikes (idk if they are called mountain bikes). And for running, i used to not be able to do a mile without stoping to walk. But after working on cardio (bareley, like 2 miles a week maybe), i was able to do 2 miles and still have at least some energy but was still huffing and puffing. But i havnt worked on cardio for a while now, i know i can do 1 mile and still have a decent amount of energy left. Swimming i probably am the same as when i tried that 500 meter. And biking, i dont even have a bike fit for a triathlon yet, but im assuming i can do 6 miles (not sure how fast though).

If that isnt what you meant by base, sorry. :P Again, thanks for all of your help.

Edited by Eager 2009-02-06 11:23 AM
2009-02-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1949150

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

Base is the groundwork that you lay before you go race, it's all the mileage that you put in that enables you to finish without requiring a stretcher.

In weightlifting it would be all the basic lifting that enables you to do a 7-5-3-1-3-5-7 ladder of bench fly with the 90lb dumbbell. You can't just jump in and do that, first you have to lift the 35lb dumbbell a few hundred times, then the 40, etc.

Same with endurance training. You can't just go out and run 26 miles. First you run 3 miles a day for a few weeks, then 4 a day, etc etc. (Note: That is not an endorsed progression plan, merely an example).

All those smaller distances, slowly increased, that let you do the longer distances and/or race is what is considered your base.

And, the more base you have, the easier it is to pick up after a layoff. For example, I have 17 years of age group swimming base, so for me to get back to a certain swimming pace is much much easier than someone that only has a year or two of swimming.

John 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for my first triathlon (mini sprint) Rss Feed