General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Liberty to Liberty... well, not me, but my husband.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-24 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
Subject: Liberty to Liberty... well, not me, but my husband....
so, one of the reasons i'm having such a problem picking races for this season is my husband's schedule... and lets just say i'm not up do doing some of the races he does.

his next race of the season is liberty to liberty which is a weird sort of race. it starts in manhattan, where everyone swims a mile in the hudson (yes, hudson. yes. ew.). the swim leg is timed, but the timing stops once they get out of the water, because then everyone makes their way to the ferry that will carry them to NJ where they will start the bike - 91 miles, 76 of which is timed. the timed bike leg ends at the foot of the Ben Franklin bridge, and then they can take their time riding through Philadelphia to the art museum, where they finish by doing a 10k along west river drive and ending the race climbing the art museum steps a la' rocky.

i am exceedingly proud of my husband, and even though he's taking this race as more of a good training day for ironman germany, i think he'll do really well. i will be there taking pictures if anyone's interested in seeing them...

good luck to everyone who's racing this weekend!

2004-05-24 5:10 PM
in reply to: #26925

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: RE: Liberty to Liberty... well, not me, but my husband....
Wish him well from all of us. And of course we are going to want to see pic's!!!!
2004-05-26 7:02 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Serious amounts of jellosy here. I dream about doing the Liberty to Liberty. Having to work Memorial Day weekend as a job priority slows that ambition. Maybe when my boss moves on I can make an attempt. Tell your hubby to keep up the good work.

As for you I think it is great you are competing too. I am tring to get my wife to try next spring. Keep your eyes out for events that have multiple options on the same weekend. That may help balance your sceduales.

Joe

2004-06-02 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
thanks kgart - and btw, i grew up not far from you, in the elmira area.

and joe - we do try to keep an eye out for things that suit us both, but it just doesn't always happen that way. and we are going to germany for two weeks in july (he is doing ironman germany) so that throws a wrench in the middle of the season - i might get in a run or two while i'm there, but, well, i'm going to Germany! and France!

the results for liberty to liberty are STILL not up! irritating. i've been waiting for them to post an official run-down of the event. for now i will say that he finished second overall in, oddly enough, exactly five hours (5:00:00.00) and though not entirely thrilled with either his swim (everyone was slow - they pulled 20% of the field from the water) or his run (cramping, cramping, cramping), he kicked butt on the bike with the fastest split of the day and is overall content.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Liberty to Liberty... well, not me, but my husband.... Rss Feed