General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Building Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-16 8:43 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Subject: Bike Building Question

I have been kicking around the idea of building a bike frame up.  I guess I would like to know how everythinng works and to keep my Tri cost down by doing maintenance, fixing problems and getting the parts as money comes in.  My wife has also asked about doing a sprint.  When I rebuilt the top end of my harley I had a step by step manual, what is the best book for bikes?  I know the intial cost of getting the correct tools could be high, but I think over a couple of years it would work back into my favor.  I know park tools and sheldon brown are great websites, but I was wondering if anyone else has some ideas. 

I just will not be happy unless I get what I want, rather than what complete bike I can afford.  At least that is what I have myself sold on.

TIA
PAtrick

2009-11-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2515610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Subject: RE: Bike Building Question
TriPatrick - 2009-11-16 8:43 AM

I have been kicking around the idea of building a bike frame up.  I guess I would like to know how everythinng works and to keep my Tri cost down by doing maintenance, fixing problems and getting the parts as money comes in.  My wife has also asked about doing a sprint.  When I rebuilt the top end of my harley I had a step by step manual, what is the best book for bikes?  I know the intial cost of getting the correct tools could be high, but I think over a couple of years it would work back into my favor.  I know park tools and sheldon brown are great websites, but I was wondering if anyone else has some ideas. 

I just will not be happy unless I get what I want, rather than what complete bike I can afford.  At least that is what I have myself sold on.

TIA
PAtrick

Most people swear by any book by Lennard Zinn. He's written several. The most popular is "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" : http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1884737706

He's also done one specifically for tri bikes, "Zinn and the Art of Triathlon Bike Maintenance": http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K5W7YG

I bet you could find either or both at a Half Price Books and save money off the Amazon cost.
2009-11-16 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Being able to wrench on your own bike will save you money.  Just doing a handful of tuneups yourself will cover the cost of tools and a stand.

I think you'd get a better value by buying a complete bike though.  You typically get a better price on the group when it comes with the bike.

However, if funds are limited, then building up over time may be the way to go, although more expensive over time because you may be upgrading parts as you go.
2009-11-16 10:09 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

I do understand you can get a better price as a group, but I keep eyeing the Planet x frames.  Full carbo at around 800 is not a bad price and I can get a good used or even new componets for around the same price maybe a little more.  I have a set of decent wheels to get by, then I can buy a set of aero bars and a seat and be under 2000.n  I think it would be better than most enrry level carbon bikes and I can upgrade as I find better stuff.  I am just thinking out loud, but thinking real hard.

2009-11-16 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
The above books are good.

Look for a shop that hosts Maintenance classes.  A couple of those with hands on applicaiton should be a good start along with manuals.  You could also enroll in the United Bicycle Institute intro class.

I've always saved the manuals that come with part upgrades, that along with some mechanical aptitude I've been able to do most of my own wrenching.

Best of luck.
2009-11-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2515812

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

I have a Planet-X frame and built it up over last winter.  Parts came from here and everywhere.  Dura-Ace/Ultegra mix. 

I saved a ton of money over what it would have cost me to buy a bike with brand new components.

I used the Zin book plus some of the online video tutorials offered on a few sites.

Building it up over the winter is a great time since you don't "have" to have it ready right now to ride.  It will give you time to make sure you get the components you want at the price you want.

LOL, by the end of my build I knew the going price for just about every part on my bike, forums vs. e-bay vs. craigslist.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Building Question Rss Feed