General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit questions. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-04 2:10 PM

Subject: wetsuit questions.
I have just started training for my first tri. I am really improving my swim times and techniques. I have heard that a good wetsuit can decrease your time, especially if you are a slow swimmer. My questions are

1 - What do you look for in a wetsuit - for triathalons? ( thickness / material / special features )
2 - Where would you go to look for a wetsuit? ( any particular type of store / or chain store names )
3 - How much can I expect to spend on a wetsuit?
4 - Are there any good internet deals on wetsuits?
5 - Can I find a good suit for under 75, 100, 150?

Thanks again. This website has really motivated me. On a whim I decided it would be fun to do a triathalon, but reading the tips and info on this board really helps keep me excited and motivated. I feel like I will be well prepared for my first tri in August.

2004-06-04 3:38 PM
in reply to: #29200

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Subject: RE: wetsuit questions.
Hello Brian,

I am no expert but here is my take on the subject. First, if you do a search on this forum for "wetsuit" you will see a lot of great posts on this subject. They helped me make my decision for which wetsuit to go with (I just ordered my yesterday) and my take is based on those posts and some other research on wetsuits

1) Get a triathlon specific suit (a diving wetsuit will not work and will be very uncomfortable)
2) Because I live in an area with out any stores that carry tri gear, I shopped on the Internet. If you live in an area that has some tri shops I would recommend trying some suits on there and if the price is comparable, buy it from them.
3) You can spend under $100 on a used suit from places like ebay, but for a new one the range is from $130.00 to over $400.00
4) You can find some good deals on last years suits on the Internet, but sizes are limited and if you are hard to find size you may have to go with this years model.

I ordered my suit from promotion wetsuit ( www.wetsuit.com) I chose them based on reviews from people on this site. Cost was also a factor. They have some 2003 suits for a good price. Also the staff was very nice.

Please take this is a grain of salt because I haven't got my suit to try on yet. I will let you know how it works.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Jason

2004-06-04 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

I just received my first wetsuit from ProMotion.  It's a 2003 sleeveless model for $139.  It fits perfectly.  I will try it in the water for the first time today.

I was unsure of my size.  They were very helpful on the phone

Good luck

2004-06-04 4:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I have also had this question and since I am not sure how many of the Tri's I plan on doing will allow the wetsuit because of water temp.  For my first tri next weekend I rented one from  Trisports.com.   I figure I can try it out and get a feel for what I might be looking for before spending the $'s on something I may not want.   Ex.  sleeveless vs sleeves   short vs long ect... 
2004-06-05 9:14 AM

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of the help I can get.
2004-06-05 10:57 AM
in reply to: #29314

User image

Regular
Harrisburg, PA
I am also very happy with my new promotion sleeveless. Also happy with the customer service at promotion. Not so happy with my swimming, but it isn't the wetsuits fault.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wetsuit questions. Rss Feed