General Discussion Triathlon Talk » timing the training for a sprint, 1/2 mary and oly Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-15 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: timing the training for a sprint, 1/2 mary and oly

I'm in a sprint tri in a week and a half. Then a 1/2 marathon Aug.17th and am planning on oly (my first) at the end of Sept. I may throw another sprint in before the oly, too. My question is about balancing the run training. I am up to 7 miles consistently running and need to up that, but don't want to take away time from my swim and bike. What would you veterans and more experienced triathletes suggest? This is my first year, I've done 3 sprints and have done better (placed higher) and felt more comfortable in each successive event.  But I don't want to fry my legs or my brain/emotions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lynn 

2008-07-15 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1530646

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
Subject: RE: timing the training for a sprint, 1/2 mary and oly

"I am up to 7 miles consistently running and need to up that, but don't want to take away time from my swim and bike."

Umm...am I reading this right?  Your longest run to date is 7 miles and you have a 1/2 mary about 4 weeks away?  And in looking at your logs, it looks like you run about 12 miles a week?

My first thought is that you should have asked this question 3 months ago.  At that time I would have suggested doing a 3, 4, or 5 run a week 1/2 mary plan working up to 14 or so miles as your long run and 25 to 30+ miles per week.  As it stands now, getting to 13 miles is going to be difficult and with some risk.

For you LSDs I suppose that you could do 8/9 miles this weekend.  A high run volume for the week of your sprint.  Sorry you should, imho, train through that race.  10/11 miles the weekend of the 3rd, 11/12 the weekend of the 10th, and then 13.1 on the weekend of the 17th. 

That is pretty aggressive however considering your current volume.  Take all those runs easy and good luck. 

2008-07-15 10:25 AM

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA

I am in the middle of training for a half marathon on Aug 3 (SF marathon).  I am also in the middle of training for my first Oly in November.  Since my A race is the OLY, I just took one of the OLY training plans from BT and modified it a bit to include the training for the HM.  The most important part of the HM training is the weekly long run.  So, I basically stick to the OLY training plan but up the weekly long run to match what I need for the HM training.  I do skip some of the short swims and bikes too, but I always make sure I do the weekly long swim and bike.

Are you following a training plan?

2008-07-15 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1530688

User image

Master
Vista, CA
ohiost90 - 2008-07-15 8:18 AM

"I am up to 7 miles consistently running and need to up that, but don't want to take away time from my swim and bike."

Umm...am I reading this right? Your longest run to date is 7 miles and you have a 1/2 mary about 4 weeks away? And in looking at your logs, it looks like you run about 12 miles a week?

Thanks for your post -- I was coming off a 1/2 in June and then dialed down my mileage after that.  All this is pretty new to me, I greatly appreciate your comments/advice.
2008-07-15 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1530758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH

gotcha. I didn't see that you ran a half in june. 

Most of my comments still apply.  I would start to build that milage back up as much as you can over the next couple of weeks to prepare for your next half. 

in reply to: #1530703

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Winston63 - 2008-07-15 8:25 AM

I am in the middle of training for a half marathon on Aug 3 (SF marathon). I am also in the middle of training for my first Oly in November. Since my A race is the OLY, I just took one of the OLY training plans from BT and modified it a bit to include the training for the HM. The most important part of the HM training is the weekly long run. So, I basically stick to the OLY training plan but up the weekly long run to match what I need for the HM training. I do skip some of the short swims and bikes too, but I always make sure I do the weekly long swim and bike.

Are you following a training plan?

I had been following the oly plan and modifying as needed. Mostly my volume was way more than what it called for most of the time. Lately, I've been kind of floundering with regards to that. Just downloaded the oly plan with RPE based since I don't have a heart rate monitor and really don't want to go there right now. Which half mary plan do you follow? Maybe I can jump in mid stream. 

User image

Runner
I recommend ditching the half.
2008-07-15 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1530765

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA

I had been following the oly plan and modifying as needed. Mostly my volume was way more than what it called for most of the time. Lately, I've been kind of floundering with regards to that. Just downloaded the oly plan with RPE based since I don't have a heart rate monitor and really don't want to go there right now. Which half mary plan do you follow? Maybe I can jump in mid stream. 

For the HM I am following a mix between the beginner and intermediate HM training plan from Hal Higdon.

For the OLY I am following the BT 222 balanced 12 week beginner OLY training plan (I think).

To me the most important aspects of the training plan is;

-10% increase in volume per week

-40% volume drop every 4th week for recovery

-2 week taper for the "A" race.

-Achieving the time or distance of the long bike, run, swim workout prior to the race.

I mostly use the plans to monitor volume.  For types of workouts I am not that disciplined.  Lately I have been trying the tips in the Chirunning book and for swimming I do a lot of the Total Imersion drills.

I have really learned a lot from the training plans.  The first time I did a true "Peak" and "taper" I was absolutely thrilled about the amount of energy I had availible for race day.

Edited by Winston63 2008-07-15 11:21 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » timing the training for a sprint, 1/2 mary and oly Rss Feed