Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-04-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2102627

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Biggest Loser 4/21

6.  Last minor thing.  Was the pizza REALLY 1800 calories and 8 servings?  I'm sorry, you can get a Tombstone, or any other pizza that's about 20oz or more (about a 12" to13" pizza) and THAT is 8 servings and close to 1800 calories.  I believe they were exagerating to make a point with the 7" pizza. 

I don't doubt that it was that many calories...but I bet they had to search to find one that was SUCH a bad example.  Do you know what I thought was hilarious about that question?  They asked, "ACCORDING TO THE BOX, how many servings are in this pizza?"  Well, how the heck are you supposed to know that without looking at the box?????  The box could say whatever it wanted to say!

2009-04-22 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2102483

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

JoeBWan - 2009-04-22 8:17 AM
JoeBWan - 2009-04-22 11:14 AM
jessica71980 - 2009-04-22 11:07 AM

[I hope they do a show a year from now so we can see what they all do from here.

It would be nice if there was a website or something to check in on past contestants.

Aha!  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28239000/ 

What do you know?  They don't show EVERYONE, but I was pleasantly surprised, given NBC's history of using their "creative license" that they don't only show those who kept the weight off.

It is kind of surprising that NBC would actually highlight some "backsliders."  I was almost beginning to believe that these folks signed some kind of nondisclosure agreement regarding talking to the media about weight gain.

Interesting that almost without exception, the people featured in that article have parlayed their appearance on BL into a new career related to it.

2009-04-22 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2101552

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
So, does anyone thing Ron is going to try to throw his weigh in next week to make sure at least HE is below the yellow line?

All he wants is for his son to win.  For Mike to win, Mike HAS to be above the yellow line next week or he will get voted off.  I would guess that Ron would want to be below the yellow line to give his son one more chance of being above it.

And I always thought there were THREE people that went on to the finale, but right now there are five left on the ranch.  Did they go to having four of them in the finale?
2009-04-22 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
You know, I went to bed too early last night and didn't watch the last part of the show.  After reading these posts, I'm thinking that after I go home, my mind might be changed on a few things, especially Tara.  Is her stereotypical model-side coming out?  I hope not, bc I always had high hopes for her.  Could it be that she's a better and more humble person when she's overweight?

That would be sad.
2009-04-22 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2102711

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

jldicarlo - 2009-04-22 9:40 AM

6.  Last minor thing.  Was the pizza REALLY 1800 calories and 8 servings?  I'm sorry, you can get a Tombstone, or any other pizza that's about 20oz or more (about a 12" to13" pizza) and THAT is 8 servings and close to 1800 calories.  I believe they were exagerating to make a point with the 7" pizza. 

I don't doubt that it was that many calories...but I bet they had to search to find one that was SUCH a bad example.  Do you know what I thought was hilarious about that question?  They asked, "ACCORDING TO THE BOX, how many servings are in this pizza?"  Well, how the heck are you supposed to know that without looking at the box?????  The box could say whatever it wanted to say!

Not really.  Apparently there are FDA regs governing what you can define as a serving.  I'm guessing that the manufacturer of that pizza stretched the rules a bit by saying that a serving is "a slice of pizza", and of course everbody knows that a round pizza gets cut into eight slices.

But the bit did make its point effectively--you need to look at serving size in addition to calories per serving.

2009-04-22 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2102655

User image

Expert
Barrington Area, IL
wsm9363 - 2009-04-22 11:18 AM

I think part of Kristen's problem was not taking in enough protein and overall calories for the week.  She has been in starvation mode and it caught her.

I think this is one of the problems with the show. They love to state that as long as you burn more calories than you eat that you will lose weight. This is not always the case.

As they see in the show virtually every other week - someone had a good week but gained or barely lost weight.

Look at low carb diets - you can eat more than you burn and still lose weight. Yes burning more than you eat is best for the long term - but they need to do a better job of explaining how the body is chemistry and motion and you often get different outcomes based on numerous factors.

2009-04-22 12:09 PM

User image

Modesto, California

To me it was a boring and predictable episode, did anyone think Tara would loose? I did expect Tara to loose more weight though. I think next week Bob's team will have big losses now that that have discovered that they were not taking in enough calories. Tara needs to focus on loosing weight and not get distracted, she can win this. Bub-Bye Ron & Mike!

2009-04-22 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2102808

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
nevergivin - 2009-04-22 12:09 PM

To me it was a boring and predictable episode, did anyone think Tara would loose? I did expect Tara to loose more weight though. I think next week Bob's team will have big losses now that that have discovered that they were not taking in enough calories. Tara needs to focus on loosing weight and not get distracted, she can win this. Bub-Bye Ron & Mike!

I did.  I thought taking the $10k was a very very gutsy move.  ESPECIALLY since she is the second lightest person on campus and one pound makes a HUGE difference for her.  I would not expect Tara to generate any more "big" numbers.  5 pounds is a LOT of weight for someone as light as she is now.
2009-04-22 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My two cents...

Things I said to my wife during the show:

When Kristen was insulting Mike after her elimination:  "Wow...the happy-go-lucky fat girl mask is off, now that she's going home."

During the subtitled exchange betw. Ron and Mike about Mike's vote:  "For once, Ron's cynical, manipulative, agenda matches what I'd like to see happen."

I love Tara's intensity.  She's got stuff to work through, of course.  What obese person doesn't?  And when you look at where she was (as a plus-size model), where she let herself get to, and how insanely fast she's accomplishing not just weightloss but real athletic fitness, that's just a ton to process emotionally...isn't it?  Great shots of her processing Jillian's coaching when they were doing the last sprint on the treadmill.  Helen and Mike were on the ragged edge of buckling and you could see in Tara's eyes all the challenge ahead of her and I had a sense of her measuring herself against what Jillian was putting out there about the responsibility to the audience they are increasingly taking on the deeper they get in the show.

One of the better episodes, I thought.
2009-04-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2102696

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gir1with1nose - 2009-04-22 10:35 AM Let's remember that these people are "auditioned" to be on this show.  Do you think that they're going to pull some stone-faced zombie in?  That doesn't make for very good TV, now, does it.

Ron actually makes me sick to look at.  With all of his surguries, his body is so whacked out...it's crazy.  Thank god we're t o the portion where they don't want the audience to see them with their shirts off.

X2..My wife dry heaves when she sees him with his shirt off. The hanging arms and those psuedo abs he has.
2009-04-22 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2102903

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tcovert - 2009-04-22 11:41 AM My two cents...

When Kristen was insulting Mike after her elimination:  "Wow...the happy-go-lucky fat girl mask is off, now that she's going home."

During the subtitled exchange betw. Ron and Mike about Mike's vote:  "For once, Ron's cynical, manipulative, agenda matches what I'd like to see happen."

I love Tara's intensity.  She's got stuff to work through, of course.  What obese person doesn't?  And when you look at where she was (as a plus-size model), where she let herself get to, and how insanely fast she's accomplishing not just weightloss but real athletic fitness, that's just a ton to process emotionally...isn't it?  Great shots of her processing Jillian's coaching when they were doing the last sprint on the treadmill.  Helen and Mike were on the ragged edge of buckling and you could see in Tara's eyes all the challenge ahead of her and I had a sense of her measuring herself against what Jillian was putting out there about the responsibility to the audience they are increasingly taking on the deeper they get in the show.

Here's something i just found as i was Googling for some pcitures of her:
Tara Costa was was raised by her mother in a small town. She has worked for a top modeling agency in New York City and attended New York University. After graduation, she was hired by the cosmetics company L'Oreal where she works as an analyst. Since she began working full-time, Costa began packing on pounds to her already plus-sized figure. Feeling uncomfortable in her own skin, Costa wishes to gain a new healthy lifestyle and lose weight

2009-04-22 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2103053

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
TrevorC - 2009-04-22 11:21 AM

Tara Costa was was raised by her mother in a small town. She has worked for a top modeling agency in New York City and attended New York University. After graduation, she was hired by the cosmetics company L'Oreal where she works as an analyst. Since she began working full-time, Costa began packing on pounds to her already plus-sized figure. Feeling uncomfortable in her own skin, Costa wishes to gain a new healthy lifestyle and lose weight

Saw that as well.  Also saw somewhere (maybe on the TBL website) that she was a plus-size model
2009-04-22 11:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
So, I just looked at a totinos party pizza. On the box, it say 2 servings @ 360 calories per serving. I also think they inflated the calories on that little pizza.

Goodness me there was lots of talking this episode. I think I "watched" the whole episode in about 15 minutes with all the fast forwarding. I'm ready for a BL break. Glad this will be done in a few weeks.
2009-04-23 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2104387

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
jneugeba - 2009-04-23 12:06 AM So, I just looked at a totinos party pizza. On the box, it say 2 servings @ 360 calories per serving. I also think they inflated the calories on that little pizza. Goodness me there was lots of talking this episode. I think I "watched" the whole episode in about 15 minutes with all the fast forwarding. I'm ready for a BL break. Glad this will be done in a few weeks.

I LOVE totinos party pizzas!! That is my splurge sometimes after a big workout... the reason it's so much lower in calories is because it has no where near the amount of cheese that some of the others have...
2009-04-23 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2104715

User image

jneugeba - 2009-04-23 12:06 AM So, I just looked at a totinos party pizza. On the box, it say 2 servings @ 360 calories per serving. I also think they inflated the calories on that little pizza.

I, too, called shannangans during that part.  There is simply no way that such small pizza had 1900 calories or whatever they said.  I just had a giant microwave pizza, it came out to only 900 calories.  Unless that 7" pizza was 6" thick... not happening.

That's not the first time they've exaggerated certain things.  They said recently (last season?) that 12 light beers is better than a full-sized, 1500 calorie burrito.  That's rediculous--the burritto probably had 20 grams of fiber, 30 grams of protein, etc., and the alcohol changes body chemistry to change the way the drinker burns fat, etc.  Oh well!  I guess a show like this wouldn't be on air if they couldn't say things that sound incredible like that.

Edited by CGunz 2009-04-23 8:17 AM
2009-04-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2103111

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
tcovert - 2009-04-22 2:34 PM
TrevorC - 2009-04-22 11:21 AM

Saw that as well.  Also saw somewhere (maybe on the TBL website) that she was a plus-size model

A lot of the plus-size models are around a size 10.  The rest of the world wouldn't consider them plus-size, but the modeling industry does because they aren't a 0 or a 2.

2009-04-23 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2102846

User image

Modesto, California

jldicarlo - 2009-04-22 10:21 AM
nevergivin - 2009-04-22 12:09 PM

I did.  I thought taking the $10k was a very very gutsy move.  ESPECIALLY since she is the second lightest person on campus and one pound makes a HUGE difference for her.  I would not expect Tara to generate any more "big" numbers.  5 pounds is a LOT of weight for someone as light as she is now.

I have a feeling its comming down to Tara and Mike, I give the advantage to Tara, she has won every challenge rather easily and I am guessing the next few will be dealbreakers! Jillian's teams usually win so they both have that going, I think Tara has way more drive and athleticism and Jillian knows how to motivate her, Mike depends on his Dad too much and hasnt won any, other than a New York trip. Tara has won her way up to this point, Ron and Mike have played everyone, I wish I had an 8x10 of Felipe and Tara's faces when Ron promised his son would win, talk about new found motivation, what he did was challenge Tara, bad,bad  move!

2009-04-23 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2104387

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jneugeba - 2009-04-22 9:06 PM So, I just looked at a totinos party pizza. On the box, it say 2 servings @ 360 calories per serving. I also think they inflated the calories on that little pizza. Goodness me there was lots of talking this episode. I think I "watched" the whole episode in about 15 minutes with all the fast forwarding. I'm ready for a BL break. Glad this will be done in a few weeks.

My thought exactly.  I'm about to tap out of this one, but just a couple more weeks to go...
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Biggest Loser 4/21 Rss Feed  

of 2