General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Homemade protein/energy bar recipes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-08 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Subject: Homemade protein/energy bar recipes?
I'd like to make some homemade protein bars. Anyone have a reliable and yummy recipe?  There are no allergies or other dietary needs in our house to consider so have at it!

Thanks!

2010-03-08 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2713945

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Homemade protein/energy bar recipes?

Here are a few:

No bake (requires refrigeration)

The ever popular:
4 Cups Oats
1 package of SF/FF pudding mix (choc fudge or butterscotch works well)
8 scoops of Protein Powder (based on ON's Whey at 24g /scoop)
1 cup of skim milk (will make it gloppy...back it off to 1 3/4 )

mix dry ingredients in a medium size bowl
add milk and stir till well mix
place in a pre-greased 8X8 pan

Now what I do is firm it up in the freezer for 1 -1.5 hours
cut into 8 bars....store in the freezer....defrost in the microwave on high for 10 secs.

Ingredients:
5 tbsp natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1/2 cup dry oats or whole grain hot cereal (uncooked)
1/2 cup oat flour * (double the oats if you do not have oat flour)
6 scoops chocolate whey protein (~132 grams protein)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need to add more)

Directions:

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 9 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.

Modifications: Use vanilla protein and replace ~1/4 cup of the oatflour with a variety of nuts, seeds, or dried berries. Chopped almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, or dried cranberries would all work well.

* Making Oatmeal/Oat Flour: To make your own oat flour, all you need to do is put a cup or two of oatmeal in a regular household blender and blend it on high...it will turn into a flour. Store in a covered bowl in the pantry. It takes 1 minute and is VERY easy and cheap alternative to buying in the store.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
197 calories, 21 g protein, 7.2 g fat (8% saturated), 13.7 g carbohydrate, 1.6 g fiber

Protein Blend Bar (refridgeration required....ideal if frozen):

This other bar has very little whey and uses cottage cheese, natural plain yogurt, and oats

Take:
1cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup ff plain yogurt
4 scoops whey (I used ON's vanilla/Choc)
put these in the blender/food processor and blend well (till it's creamy)

stir in 3 or 4 cups oats,
pour into 8X8 glassware (best to light coat it with cooking spray)
cut
FREEZE

with 4 cups of oats each bar works out to:

257cal
fat 3.88g
sat .875g
carbs 31.75g
prot 24.75g

Baked:

Strawberry-Banana MRP

STRAWBERRY & BANANA MEAL REPLACEMENT BARS
Makes 6 bars
1 cup raw oatmeal
5 scoops of strawberry protein powder ( 90g of protein)
1/4 cup fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup non fat dry milk powder
2 egg whites
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 bananas, mashed
2 tsp. canola oil (this is the secret to moist bars instead of the traditional dry bar)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9x9 square pan with cooking spray & set aside. In a med.ium bowl combine oatmeal, Protein powder & dry milk. Set aside. In another bowl beat together with an electric hand mixer, cream cheese, egg whites, bananas, water & oil. Add the oat mixture & continue to beat until the two are combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan & bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Calories-203, Protein 22g, Carbs 22g, Fats 3g
Makes 10 bars

A nice meal replacement bar at a mere fraction of the cost of packaged protein bars and none of their glycerin, preservatives, or sugar, these low-fat bars are rich in fiber and taste great with a light spread of natural peanut butter across the top. Served with a protein drink, they make a well-balanced meal.

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cups powdered non-fat milk
1 cup sugar-free (diabetic) pancake syrup (Cozy Cottage, Cary's or Howard's brand)
2 egg whites, beaten
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 c. natural applesauce*
4 scoops chocolate or vanilla protein powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325°. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl and blend well. In separate bowl, combine eggwhites, orange juice, applesauce, & the sugar-free syrup and blend well. Stir liquids into dry ingredients until blended. The consistency will be thick and similar to cookie dough. Spread batter on baking sheet coated with non-stick spray. Use a 9x12 baking dish if you want a thicker bar. Bake until edges are crisp and browned. Cut into 10 bars and store in airtight container or freeze.

*If you find you want a moister bar, add a little more applesauce to the recipe for softness.

**The brand of protein used in this recipe contained 200 calories, 4 g carb, 44 g protein, 2 g fat, and 2 g fiber. Use your low-carb whey of choice.

Nutritional Information:
Per Serving: Calories- 157 Carbs- 23g Protein- 15g Fat- .5 g Fiber- 4 g
3 Cups Chocolate Whey Powder 282g
3 Cups Oats, rolled, raw 312g
2 Cups Non-Fat Milk 16oz
0.5 Cups Water 4oz

Pour everything into a mixing bowl.
Mix until creamy.
Pour into a 12”x8” 1-2” deep pan, or something close. Use Pam if you need to.
Put your oven on 150 or between warm and 200.
Put it in the oven overnight or until the batch has hardened enough.
Test by putting a knife in the middle to see if it’s dry.
If you see liquid chocolate on the knife, leave it in longer.
If you only get dry looking chocolate it’s done.
Put it in the refrigerator for a while to harden some.
The end product should be a bar that is harder on the outside and chewy in the middle.

Cal 302.203125
fat 4.640625g
sat 2.13984375g
Chol 39.1796875mg
sod 410.575mg
pot 335.9765625mg
carb 33.98125g
sug 5.203125g
fiber 5.55234375g
prot 33.4359375g
2010-03-10 7:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-14 5:58 AM

Expert
Orlando, FL
Just what I was needing - thanks! I have a long commute to school job where we have a nut-free facility, so I have to eat in the car and it can't have nuts. I've found that most of the store-bought bars I find are expensive and have nuts. These recipes look great and I can't wait to try some out!

THANKS!
2010-03-24 9:45 AM

Veteran

I love the show Good Eats with Alton Brown, he did an episode about making your own bars, I haven't had the chance to make these yet but they look great. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe/index.html

2010-03-25 10:40 AM

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
kziemer - 2010-03-08 11:33 AM I'd like to make some homemade protein bars. Anyone have a reliable and yummy recipe?  There are no allergies or other dietary needs in our house to consider so have at it!

Thanks!

Here are a few good ones (no bake and easy!):

Powerbar recipes

Mandy

2010-03-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2745002

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
jdowhin - 2010-03-24 10:45 AM

I love the show Good Eats with Alton Brown, he did an episode about making your own bars, I haven't had the chance to make these yet but they look great. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe/index.html

My sister made these when she was pregnant as a snack and they were pretty good.  The consistency wasn't too bad and the berries gave them a nice flavor.  You can also watch the episode online to see how to make them.
2011-02-12 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2714584

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Nipper - 2010-03-08 12:29 PM 

Ingredients:
5 tbsp natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1/2 cup dry oats or whole grain hot cereal (uncooked)
1/2 cup oat flour * (double the oats if you do not have oat flour)
6 scoops chocolate whey protein (~132 grams protein)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need to add more)

Directions:

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 9 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.

Modifications: Use vanilla protein and replace ~1/4 cup of the oatflour with a variety of nuts, seeds, or dried berries. Chopped almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, or dried cranberries would all work well.

* Making Oatmeal/Oat Flour: To make your own oat flour, all you need to do is put a cup or two of oatmeal in a regular household blender and blend it on high...it will turn into a flour. Store in a covered bowl in the pantry. It takes 1 minute and is VERY easy and cheap alternative to buying in the store.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
197 calories, 21 g protein, 7.2 g fat (8% saturated), 13.7 g carbohydrate, 1.6 g fiber

I found this recipe to be a hit!!! I don't use cooking spray and I added 1/4 cup of honey(guess agave nectar would be fine ,too!) These were what got me off of Clif Bars for good! Could never find any recipes that made $ense, sure it will not take as much time as I get better at making them!!
2011-02-16 5:05 PM

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
My homemade gluten-free recipe.  It's very easy to customize and put in whatever you like:  http://artemistris.blogspot.com/2010/03/homemade-energy-bars.html
2011-04-02 8:02 PM

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
I have been making these for the past month since going gluten free. They are Fantastic! I used Natural Peanut butter instead of Almond Butter, and all agave nectar in place of the Stevia. These rock they taste like Candy Bars!!!!

Gluten Free Almond Power Barsprinter friendly
2 cups almonds (raw)
½ cup flax meal (flax seeds ground in a Vitamix)
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup unsalted creamy roasted almond butter
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
½ cup coconut oil
4 drops stevia
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips 73% cacao (optional)
  1. Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor
  2. Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds
  3. In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat
  4. Remove coconut oil from stove, stir stevia, agave and vanilla into oil
  5. Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste
  6. Press mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish
  7. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens
  8. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously
  9. Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens
  10. Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve
Makes 20 bars
2011-04-06 9:16 AM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
wow.. yummy goodness..  looks like I'll be hitting the grocery store tonight

2011-04-06 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3426983

Regular
buc20 - 2011-04-02 8:02 PM
I have been making these for the past month since going gluten free. They are Fantastic! I used Natural Peanut butter instead of Almond Butter, and all agave nectar in place of the Stevia. These rock they taste like Candy Bars!!!!

Gluten Free Almond Power Barsprinter friendly
2 cups almonds (raw)
½ cup flax meal (flax seeds ground in a Vitamix)
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup unsalted creamy roasted almond butter
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
½ cup coconut oil
4 drops stevia
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips 73% cacao (optional)
  1. Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor
  2. Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds
  3. In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat
  4. Remove coconut oil from stove, stir stevia, agave and vanilla into oil
  5. Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste
  6. Press mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish
  7. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens
  8. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously
  9. Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens
  10. Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve
Makes 20 bars

These sound awesome! Do you have the nutrition information for them by any chance?

2011-04-06 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3432535

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

No, but someone on the site I got the recipe from did the caloric breakdown:

The site is www.elanaspantry.com

did the calories on this using Calorie King. I know, I know, it's not the calories, but the nutrition, but I couldn't help it :-) It amounts to about 270 for a 1.5 by 2 inch bar.

2 cups almond- 1653
½ cup flax meal- 280
½ cup shredded coconut (They had this listed by weight so I estimated 4 ounces)- 750
½ cup unsalted almond butter- 791
½ cup coconut oil- 940
1 tablespoon agave nectar- 60

total: 4,474
divided by 20: 224

with 1 cup chocolate chips (all I could find)- 862
total: 5,336
divided by 20: 267

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Homemade protein/energy bar recipes? Rss Feed