General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help getting my zones right Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-02 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: Need help getting my zones right

I have read with interest the recent threads about Zone 2 work, and was inspired to do my 30-min field test today.  I wound up doing about 25 minutes because the flat trail near my house is across a set of train tracks, and there was a train parked there which I had to make my way around.  (It didn't occur to me to run 2.5 minutes back the trail before I slowed down to a walk, LOL).  HR avg was 183 for the first ten min and 189 for the last 15-16.  I felt like I could have held that but it would have been truly miserable.   I did slow down a decent about (about 1 min/mle) from the beginning to end, but HR stayed high.  

When I plug that in I get 160-171 for my Zone 2, which is a lot higher than I expected.  A few years ago I did a max HR test and while I don't remember what it was, I don't think it was over 200.  I remember some kind of aerobic zone being 145-154, and in the back of my mind I've always thought that's a good number for long runs.

FWIW I ran a HM on March 30 with an avg HR of 174.  Broken down by .5-mile laps in my race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=216899.  RHR is around 55, although it's been a while since I've checked it upon waking.

So basically I want to know, does it sound like I did this test well enough that it will yield accurate zones? Or should I try to re-do it in a few weeks, or use a different method?

Thanks for any comments.  If those are my zones I will become a much faster (well, let's say much less slow) runner by running in this Zone 2!

2013-05-02 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4724428

Veteran
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Need help getting my zones right
I would say that is good enough for you first test. My LT is 187 so our zones are pretty much the same. You could always retest if you really want to.
2013-05-02 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would do the test again in a couple of weeks.  I did the test a few times just to make sure the results were close.  Try to make sure the conditions and course are the same.
2013-05-02 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4725078

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm probably guessing you are closer now than you were.  Why?  "max HR test".

Those are pretty unreliable.  Again, why?  Because it's VERY hard to hit your max HR.  Very few people have the constitution to even pull it off.  It's basically run as hard as you can until you see stars and feel like you are going to die, then go faster.  It's hard to create that in a lab/gym.

I think I probably hit 201-202 a couple times in my life and I really did feel like it was the end of days.  I would venture you were probably 5-10 bpm below your true max and that translated down to your levels.

As the other said, you can retest and see if you get similar results.  You can also subjectively see if the zones are right.  Zone 2 should be that "go forever" pace.  Not easy, still feels like work, but you get that sense you can go and go a that pace.  If you ever get the feeling that you have to slow down and can't keep the pace?  Then it's too high.

Just me, but my Zone 1 feels EASY, almost guilty easy.  Zone 2, especially high Zone 2 feel like a workout, but you can go for hours.  Zone 3 is that good effort than you will be happy to be done in an hour.  Zone 4 is like running a 10k race, but JUST a bit slower than if it was a race.  Zone 5 is basically all out.

2013-05-02 7:39 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Set your zones, go train with them for a few weeks, see how it corresponds to your RPE, then retest in 4 weeks. Repeat for a season. Have fun!
2013-05-02 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

OK.  Thanks everyone!  I guess I was thinking Zone 2 would be ridiculously slow for running- like the speed that's just faster than a fast walk.  My HR will actually be a little higher than in my normal-till-now training runs, but now that I think of it I did hit a point during my long runs for the HM that I was just like "screw it, as long as it's under 170 I won't die."  

One more question- in Zone 2 I should still be able to say full sentences, right?

2013-05-03 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4725153

Veteran
Tennessee
chayes - 2013-05-02 7:56 PM

OK.  Thanks everyone!  I guess I was thinking Zone 2 would be ridiculously slow for running- like the speed that's just faster than a fast walk.  My HR will actually be a little higher than in my normal-till-now training runs, but now that I think of it I did hit a point during my long runs for the HM that I was just like "screw it, as long as it's under 170 I won't die."  

One more question- in Zone 2 I should still be able to say full sentences, right?

For me, low Z2 I can still say full sentences. High z2 will have some pauses for breath.

2013-05-19 10:45 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Originally posted by iruptacopula
chayes - 2013-05-02 7:56 PM

For me, low Z2 I can still say full sentences. High z2 will have some pauses for breath.

No pauses for breath. Do you guys understand what 'full sentences' means? This isn't rocket science guys. BACK OFF - run EASY - easier than you think, and in 8-12 weeks, you'll see a nice change in your pace vs. HR. Going medium effort - not quite aerobic, and not quite race pace isn't Zone 2. 

2013-05-19 10:46 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Originally posted by Kido

I'm probably guessing you are closer now than you were.  Why?  "max HR test".

Those are pretty unreliable.  Again, why?  Because it's VERY hard to hit your max HR.  Very few people have the constitution to even pull it off.  It's basically run as hard as you can until you see stars and feel like you are going to die, then go faster.  It's hard to create that in a lab/gym.

I think I probably hit 201-202 a couple times in my life and I really did feel like it was the end of days.  I would venture you were probably 5-10 bpm below your true max and that translated down to your levels.

As the other said, you can retest and see if you get similar results.  You can also subjectively see if the zones are right.  Zone 2 should be that "go forever" pace.  Not easy, still feels like work, but you get that sense you can go and go a that pace.  If you ever get the feeling that you have to slow down and can't keep the pace?  Then it's too high.

Just me, but my Zone 1 feels EASY, almost guilty easy.  Zone 2, especially high Zone 2 feel like a workout, but you can go for hours.  Zone 3 is that good effort than you will be happy to be done in an hour.  Zone 4 is like running a 10k race, but JUST a bit slower than if it was a race.  Zone 5 is basically all out.

THIS GUY gets it. Thank you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help getting my zones right Rss Feed