I swim alone wherever I want to swim.35 Votes - [38.04%]
Always4 Votes - [4.35%]
I sometimes swim offshore with a buddy watching onshore5 Votes - [5.43%]
I swim alone but with lifeguards on duty7 Votes - [7.61%]
Not only is it not a "good idea", it's a terrible idea.2 Votes - [2.17%]
I swim alone, yeahhh with nobody else...2 Votes - [2.17%]
Dq you have a death wish1 Votes - [1.09%]
I do if I need to get the swim in and nobody else does1 Votes - [1.09%]
only w/ a few hundred other swimers about 4xs/year. Safety first.1 Votes - [1.09%]
As alone as I can be in a swim lane of a semi-public pool2 Votes - [2.17%]

2008-05-13 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1397734

User image

Master
Living in the past
Subject: RE: Do you swim alone?

My OWS's are done in a smaller inland lake with little boat traffic. There is a cove along the western shore that is about 1/2 mile long and shallow (<6 ft) out at least 100 yards from shore. I have swum it alone (if you don't count my golden retriever following me) but probably could touch or at least bounce at any point. When I venture out into the rest of the lake (10+ feet deep), my wife, son and dog follow along in the pontoon boat.

I don't consider myself a strong swimmer, though I am comfortable in the water under most conditions, yet I would not swim alone in water over my head. I have yet to swim with a wetsuit, so I can't comment on the additional bouyancy they offer and if this would change my thoughts ont he subject.

2008-05-13 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1398435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
newleaf - 2008-05-13 5:16 AM

I think part of the thing that concerns me about this thread, is that in theory anyway, there are a lot of beginners and newbies reading it, and here we have a lot of people advocating doing OWS alone.

Tim, I think you make a good point here.  I would venture to guess that all of the folks who answered this from a "I do OWS alone" perspective are veteran swimmers who've know the risks they're taking.  It certainly is not something I would ever suggest to others.  In fact, I'm planning to have a "practice tri" in my back yard for some friends who are doing a tri for the first time this summer, and I'm planning on not swimming that day, but taking the canoe out as a support vehicle.  I don't know all of their swimming abilities, and would not feel comfy sending them across our lake and back (even in a pack).

2008-05-13 10:06 PM

User image

Buttercup

I would think nothing of swimming in a pool with nobody else on deck or in the pool (this is actually appealing to me).

Lakes in Florida are habitat for alligators and I'm skeered of gators, so it would be very unlikely that I would swim alone in a lake. Or even with just a few other people. Only time I want to swim a distance in a lake is when I'm surrounded by lots of other swimmers. Don't know enough about NC lakes to comment.

Ocean swimming - I would swim by myself if there were lifeguards on duty. I prefer to swim with other swimmers, preferably the kind who flail about or have thrashing kind of strokes, and look like better shark bait than I do. Or, faster swimmer who will be out in front to scare away any sharks. And slower swimmers in case the shark wants to pickoff the straggler. It's all about survival, folks.

As for the whole idea of swimming with a buddy ... have you thought through what your buddy is going to do for you if you get in trouble? Or what you can do for that buddy if your buddy is in trouble? Before you get the idea that it is safer to swim with a buddy, you should have a clear idea of what you can do (or not) to intervene if something goes wrong. My 2 cents:

1. Use a rescue floaty/tube. Take it with you on the swim. Extend it towards your buddy if they are distressed, but don't move so close that they can unexpectedly grab hold of you.
  2. Do not intervene further unless you are trained in water rescue. It is very important that you do not get close enough for them to grab onto you, otherwise you will become part of the problem. A drowning or panicked swimmer is very strong and will latch onto you like a python and you'll both drown.
  3. If your buddy is not drowning but panicking, maintain a safe distance while treading water, extend the rescue tube for them to hold onto, be reassuring, and encourage them to calm themselves before returning to shore. If the panic attack escalates, I would move further away but towards shore using slow breaststroke in hopes that my buddy would instinctively follow me. Keep eye contact if we can and tell my buddy to breaststroke kick towards me - this way we can both eyeball each other, I can keep reassuring my buddy. PLEASE NOTE: I have taken lifeguard/water safey course, I've helped a panicked swimmer through a swim, I can tread water for 45 minutes without getting fatigued, I have  roughhoused in the water many times; I never get panic attacks in the water. If this isn't you, you really need to think about just getting out of the water quickly and calling 911 for help instead of trying to coax your friend out of the water. Remember, they will have the safety tube to keep them afloat. You're not abandoning them - you are getting help from people who are qualified to help.
  4. Call it a day if they recover from the panic attack. Definitely do not try to resume the swim.
  5. You must be able to remain calm under extreme circumstances. If you start freaking, they will freak even more. I know very few people who could risk being used as a human flotation device, so please be very, very careful if your friend is distressed in the water.

Really, though, unless you are well trained in water rescue, you should not put yourself in a position of trying to save a drowning person. It is very dangerous to do so. Talking a panicking person through their swim is risky and can turn into a dangerous situation if the other person cannot control their panic attack (or sea sickness or any other ailment).

If you must swim with another with the idea that you will save each other if something were to go wrong, both of you should take water rescue or lifeguard classes with the Red Cross. Know how to approach or manage a panicked swimmer. Know how to perform CPR.  Otherwise, what are you really providing each other, other than a false sense of security?

Edited by Renee 2008-05-13 10:25 PM
2008-05-13 11:58 PM
in reply to: #1401084

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Excellent points Renee! As a former Lifeguard Instructor I should have  listed those exact sentiments  regarding swimming with others and feeling secure just because there is someone else swimming with you.  Nice job! (I am bowing down to you!)

2008-05-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1401195

User image

Buttercup
rstocks3 - 2008-05-14 12:58 AM

Excellent points Renee! As a former Lifeguard Instructor I should have  listed those exact sentiments  regarding swimming with others and feeling secure just because there is someone else swimming with you.  Nice job! (I am bowing down to you!)

Hmmmm... sounds like an idea for a BT Instructional video! Teach BTers how to properly use the rescue tube and what not to do, Bob.

You are awesome to volunteer for this!

2008-05-14 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1401595

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Renee - 2008-05-14 10:18 AM
rstocks3 - 2008-05-14 12:58 AM

Excellent points Renee! As a former Lifeguard Instructor I should have listed those exact sentiments regarding swimming with others and feeling secure just because there is someone else swimming with you. Nice job! (I am bowing down to you!)

Hmmmm... sounds like an idea for a BT Instructional video! Teach BTers how to properly use the rescue tube and what not to do, Bob.

You are awesome to volunteer for this!

She who smelt it......dealt it! I'll be looking forward to your video Renee. You look much better in a bathing suit than I do!  

2008-05-14 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1401932

User image

Buttercup
I never was a Lifeguard Instructor. I think this topic merits professional advice.
2008-05-14 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I do all/to just about all of my swimming at the gym's pool. Packing two people per lane is the closest I can get to generating the feel for an OWS.
2008-05-14 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

I swim alone 99.99% of the time, but I just bought one of these to ease my wife's fear of my impending doom.

Swim Safe

2008-05-14 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Really!?!? How does that effect your swim?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you swim alone? Rss Feed  

of 2